Page 2 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2013, 5:03 am

League_Girl wrote:
Meh, this is the second year I have done Black Friday and it takes lot of patience and slowing down so you aren't bumping or shoving into anyone and ramming your cart into people. Long lines and it's very crowded but last night wasn't bad where we went because it was a four hour deal they were doing at Toys R Us so the line wasn't too long and we were only there for an hour and a half. Twice it has never been nothing like you see in the media but I did see someone got hit by a car and I said to my husband "That is why you have to slow down on Black Friday. Someone got too excited and now they will be facing charges."

Don't I know it! I put up with the worst of it Thanksgiving night, when it took almost an hour to get through the checkout line at Walmart. I wouldn't have bothered, except Wallyworld was the only place open where I could find ground mustard seed. I needed the ground mustard seed in order to make a mustard plaster, put the plaster on a tea towel, and put the towel on my chest to burn the living day lights out of the cold I've had all week.

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

30 Nov 2013, 12:30 pm

chris5000 wrote:
I hate the commercialization of Christmas. it starts earlier every year this year I started seeing Christmas ads before Halloween

I am with you 100%! !! ! I despise the whole commercialization of Christmas thing SO MUCH, that I refuse to buy any gifts during the Christmas shopping season. Around Southern California, the "Holiday" crap starts up as early as the 5th of July! By the end of August, Costco and Big Lots have plenty of Christmas stuff on display. And what really seems stupid, is that now here it is December 1 tomorrow, and I was at Costco last week and I saw barbecues and summer patio furniture getting ready to come out; stacked on the high shelves on pallets. Who in Sam Hill wants to buy Christmas lights in August, or a bikini and a beach chair in December?

Charles

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

30 Nov 2013, 12:30 pm

chris5000 wrote:
I hate the commercialization of Christmas. it starts earlier every year this year I started seeing Christmas ads before Halloween

I am with you 100%! !! ! I despise the whole commercialization of Christmas thing SO MUCH, that I refuse to buy any gifts during the Christmas shopping season. Around Southern California, the "Holiday" crap starts up as early as the 5th of July! By the end of August, Costco and Big Lots have plenty of Christmas stuff on display. And what really seems stupid, is that now here it is December 1 tomorrow, and I was at Costco last week and I saw barbecues and summer patio furniture getting ready to come out; stacked on the high shelves on pallets. Who in Sam Hill wants to buy Christmas lights in August, or a bikini and a beach chair in December?

Charles

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2013, 12:51 pm

What is ''black Friday''?

jerry00
Toucan
Toucan

30 Nov 2013, 12:57 pm

black friday is a manifestation of capitalism and profit as the be all and end all of human civilization.

Everything nonprofit that people enjoy doing is slowly being made illegal or phased out leaving nothing but corporate wasteland.

instead of spending some time in the woods with your family, now you have to pay four hundred dollars take them all to an expensive and nauseating resort full of crying children and plastic trees and unhappy cleaning staff.

and if you don't take them, highly sophisticated propaganda from the people who run the resort will make your family feel that you have failed them. that is the reality of the world we live in.

and in the case of black friday, that same propaganda is used by companies like walmart to trick you into buying a new TV, because that's all that's missing from your life, a slightly better TV! Once you have that everything will be fine, until the next time they make you buy a TV. Capitalism works by making you buy the same stuff over and over.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2013, 1:31 pm

Commercials don't make me want to buy a new TV. It's when the DVD-player or the areal is no longer compatible with the TV (or vice-versa) because of becoming outdated and then unusable. I brought a cheap TV with a video built in, about 10 years ago, and it still works today, with good picture and sound quality. But the last DVD-player I had suddenly packed up and so I went out and brought a new DVD-player, and that wasn't compatible with the TV so I tried another make and nothing would connect to the TV any more. I even looked for a scart lead or other type of extension lead but I couldn't find the right one even after asking several shop assistants, and it was too complicated to look online, so I had to give the old TV up and buy a new TV. OK, the TV is bigger, but the other little TV had a video attached to it and the whole thing was as good as new. It seemed such a shame to have to put it up in the attic (yes, I'm a hoarder, I cannot throw things away once I have got attached to them). I was going to sell it but didn't think anyone would buy it, and I was worried in case people who did buy it might just be buying it for a target to practice shooting at in their back garden or something. People are so heartless these days (not everyone).

micfranklin
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2013, 3:02 pm

I, like many friends of mine, have felt that sitting in front of a computer and looking at stuff online is a much better, wiser option than risking our health by waking up at the crack of dawn for on-sale clothes.

Parasol
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2013, 7:52 pm

I find Black Friday amusing because for some reason, I always hear that at least one person dies due to trying to get some materialistic object. Hell, Boxing Day is not that bad in comparison or at least where I come from. Also, it would suck at someone's funeral that their cause of death was due to shopping.

Imweird
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Nov 2013, 8:29 pm

This was the first Black Friday in all my 52 years that I ventured out into the shops. It wasn't bad even though we went in the middle of the day. We went to Sears and Lowe's. Sears is in a mall and we still came out unscathed. Anything else I need will be bought online (thank God for Amazon!).

EQ: 17
You are very likely an Aspie

Shinzy
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

30 Nov 2013, 8:44 pm

I like the idea of Black Friday.

Not so much on how it actually works.

I participated (a little) this year. Went to a local store around 7:30 on Thursday night (they started the sales early). I mostly hung around the clothing section because I was actually there to buy pajama pants. Ended up buying a few incredibly cheap blu-rays and waited in line for another 2 hours to check out.

I was glad the blu-rays were put in a promo box near the clothing items because the electronics section was pure chaos and I wouldn't go near there even if they were giving the stuff away for free :(

(Got 11 blu-ray movies for 30 dollars, very happy! The cash register wait wasn't enjoyable but it wasn't really stressful either- plenty of space between each person waiting and the people with kids had them firmly strapped into the carts so they weren't running about.)

I'd be participating in Cyber Monday if I had the extra funds, but the banks were closed on Thanksgiving when I got my check :( Why do banks close on Black Friday? The day when everyone needs money...

WarWraith
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Nov 2013, 8:57 pm

pensieve wrote:
Makes me thankful I live in Australia and barely go into shopping centres.

Seconded. I do spend a bit of time in shopping centres, but that's where I get overstimulated and head into meltdown territory.

Geronimo!

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2013, 9:20 pm

Spend a 100 dollars worth of time and agrevation and suffering for each dollar you save on christmas presents?

No thanks.

Not a good business proposition.

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2013, 11:37 pm

At least someone out there know how to have fun on black Friday.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGmdwiz9zDE[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epJl3BYKrG4[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnBYHhmxdvs[/youtube]

rapidroy
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2013, 1:18 am

Joe90 wrote:
What is ''black Friday''?

The reason its called Black Friday is becouse on that day in the year on average the stores will have made enough income to cover all of their yearly costs and everything they make from now until New Years is 100% profit therefore from that Friday on their out of the red and into the black. Thats the historical verson anyway, Jerry00's discripton is more accurate by todays standards.

micfranklin
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2013, 10:42 am

What Black Friday proves to me is that a collective of people is dumb enough to go on a stampede and make life miserable for just about anyone over stuff that is on sale, when it was already there previously and may actually be there after.

FluttercordAspie93
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2013, 9:30 pm

I don't think I've ever been out during Black Friday.

Plus, I'm not much of an impulse buyer.