Thelibrarian
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2013, 3:00 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Opi wrote:
Thelibrarian wrote:
Opi wrote:
am i the only person who is disturbed that we have been presented by no evidence, no formal assessment of the young man's mental state at the proposed time of crime, nor has there been due process of law, yet we here all assume the young man's guilt? is this how justice works in america now? conviction in the court of public opinion?

frankly i find this whole thread disturbing and sensationalistic.

We are going by a newspaper article here rather than legal documents. They are two very different things. You can also bet the farm that there is evidence, and there will likely be a formal assessment of the perp's mental state. As far as being tried in the court of public opinion, the court of public opinion and the legal courts are two entirely different things. It really doesn't matter to the perp what we think; it matters a great deal what the courts think, though I certainly do appreciate your concern with the presumption of innocence. I do think it is important to remember the victim had the same rights as the perp--rights that were obviously violated in the worst manner possible.

i just think its f**** up how quickly people are to assume that because someone has been charged with a crime, they are automatically guilty of that crime. it's not just here - it's popular culture.

If this were radio or tv then yes- we should all be calling him "the alledged killer" while on air. But on a website you dont need to. And real life is not like an agatha christie murder mystery in which there are always 20 suspects, and the one you least suspect always turns out to be the one whodunnit. In real life the person charged usually is guilty.And if he is the rare exception it doesnt matter- we dont have the power to convict him here on wp.

Naturalplastic, a much needed distinction: We don't have to say "alleged" killer because we are citing our opinions. If we were citing as a fact that this kid committed these murders, it would be actionable in a civil court the same as if the media did it; it is known as libel and slander. Just so you know....

Annmaria
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2013, 1:45 pm

Patrick was due to appear in court, his solicitor said he had been sent to a Mental institution and will remain there for some time. He case has been adjourned till 18th Dec. He has been asking for his mother and when and when will she be released from hospital to take him home.

Apparently the police found him driving his mother car erratically trying to get help for his mother the day she died.

He is now getting the help his mother was looking for :cry:

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2013, 2:01 pm

Annmaria wrote:
Patrick was due to appear in court, his solicitor said he had been sent to a Mental institution and will remain there for some time. He case has been adjourned till 18th Dec. He has been asking for his mother and when and when will she be released from hospital to take him home.

Apparently the police found him driving his mother car erratically trying to get help for his mother the day she died.

He is now getting the help his mother was looking for :cry:

That sound like Deja vu. Luke Skywalker was also asking for his mother after he killed her too from one of his meltdowns by beating her to death. Of course there was no trial since he wasn't fit to for it since he had a mind of a two year old so he was placed in a mental hospital instead.

I really would like to see why the guy killed his mother and why was he getting her help all of a sudden or is he trying to make himself look innocent?

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Annmaria
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2013, 8:37 am

Just reading between lines and news coming from the court it looks like he won't stand trail. They will probably find him unfit to stand, again it will be brushed under the carpet failure of the services. His mother was fighting hard to find placement for him after he had left education system. Apparently he was becoming very frustrated and having melt downs. No help from his father not interested in him. The state services had stopped paying for placement for him.

Most likely nothing will be learned from this! league girl I too wanted to know why looks like that won't be answered.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2013, 11:44 pm

Thelibrarian wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Opi wrote:
Thelibrarian wrote:
Opi wrote:
am i the only person who is disturbed that we have been presented by no evidence, no formal assessment of the young man's mental state at the proposed time of crime, nor has there been due process of law, yet we here all assume the young man's guilt? is this how justice works in america now? conviction in the court of public opinion?

We are going by a newspaper article here rather than legal documents. They are two very different things. You can also bet the farm that there is evidence, and there will likely be a formal assessment of the perp's mental state. As far as being tried in the court of public opinion, the court of public opinion and the legal courts are two entirely different things. It really doesn't matter to the perp what we think; it matters a great deal what the courts think, though I certainly do appreciate your concern with the presumption of innocence. I do think it is important to remember the victim had the same rights as the perp--rights that were obviously violated in the worst manner possible.

i just think its f**** up how quickly people are to assume that because someone has been charged with a crime, they are automatically guilty of that crime. it's not just here - it's popular culture.

If this were radio or tv then yes- we should all be calling him "the alledged killer" while on air. But on a website you dont need to. And real life is not like an agatha christie murder mystery in which there are always 20 suspects, and the one you least suspect always turns out to be the one whodunnit. In real life the person charged usually is guilty.And if he is the rare exception it doesnt matter- we dont have the power to convict him here on wp.

Naturalplastic, a much needed distinction: We don't have to say "alleged" killer because we are citing our opinions. If we were citing as a fact that this kid committed these murders, it would be actionable in a civil court the same as if the media did it; it is known as libel and slander. Just so you know....

No one here said "it is my opinion she did it". Everyone is speaking as if were a foregone conclusion that she

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2013, 11:47 pm

Thelibrarian wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Opi wrote:
Thelibrarian wrote:
Opi wrote:

No one here said "it is my opinion she did it". Everyone here is just speaking as if were a foregone conclusion that she did it. So I dont see the relevence of what you're saying. And how can they sue you anyway? They can sue Alex, but they cant sue "Librarian" nor "naturalplastic" because our real identities are confidential.