Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

lotuspuppy
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2013, 12:32 pm

DoodleDoo wrote:
Maybe so, its the Chinese's. They can put there money in the local bank, Chinese stock market or buy real estate. They only have these options. There currency is freely exchangeable although there are ways to move it out of the country but this is not available to the average Chinese.

Right. And most Chinese who can invest do invest in real estate because their equity markets are too volatile, and the banks offer extremely poor interest rates. I know a lot of wealthy Chinese have either been moving money offshore, or putting it into the shadow banking system. I imagine that is part of the attractiveness of Bitcoin, and why the People's Bank of China ordered Chinese banks not to trade in Bitcoins.

DoodleDoo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Dec 2013, 2:04 pm

I made a typo " There currency is freely NOT exchangeable" I forgot the not.
Another Chinese thing that is hidden is the sex ratio imbalance.
This guy talks about the economic effects of this although it is not specific to China.
http://evoandproud.blogspot.com/2012/09 ... lture.html

one1ai
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Jan 2014, 11:46 am

ruveyn wrote:
alex wrote:
If anyone with a ton of bitcoins wants to support WrongPlanet, you can send them to my bitcoin wallet here:

158g8vSXqKhhKBMjagj4ftb9e97NU9NgaR

Is that right next to the basket for storing tulip bulbs?

ruveyn

Well, SHA-256, Assymetric Cryptography and Digital Signatures anybody? Anyone who posted in this thread: Did you ever have Cryptography as a special interest?

Does anybody here in the thread know the difference between broken cryptographic checksums(MD5) and cryptographic checksums which have not yet been broken(SHA-2)?

Does anybody in the thread know what Cryptography is? Do you use it yourself? :twisted:

Somebody sent Alex 100 Satoshis! https://blockchain.info/address/158g8vS ... rrency=BTC

Quote:
gpg --verify multibit-0.5.16-linux.jar.asc
gpg: Signature made ons 18 dec 2013 12:33:06 CET using RSA key ID 23F7FB7B
gpg: Good signature from "Jim Burton (multibit.org developer) <[email protected]>"
gpg: WARNING: This key is not certified with a trusted signature!
gpg: There is no indication that the signature belongs to the owner.
Primary key fingerprint: 299C 423C 672F 47F4 756A 6BA4 C197 2AED 79F7 C572
Subkey fingerprint: 4A71 A836 F572 01B4 D088 7D60 0820 A658 23F7 FB7B

I assume the above is all Greek to you? Bitcoin is heavily dependent on Digital Signatures. Just taste the above! :lol: :twisted:

one1ai
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Jan 2014, 12:27 pm

alex wrote:
If anyone with a ton of bitcoins wants to support WrongPlanet, you can send them to my bitcoin wallet here:

158g8vSXqKhhKBMjagj4ftb9e97NU9NgaR

I thought that 100 Satoshi was too little so I sent you another 120482 Satoshis. 120482 were worth 1$ at the time. Too bad I had to pay 8 cents as a transaction fee.
In practice there are transaction fees in Bitcoin. Although the very popular video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Um63OQz3bjo "What is Bitcoin?" with 4,821,800 views on youtube is very outdated. It says "There are no chargebacks or fees". At this point this is a practical inaccuracy. Aren't 8 cents too much of a fee for a transaction?

Personally I buy games with Bitcoin on Humble Bundle(though not much anymore since my full time employment has started draining all my time + my internet works on 3G/2G so I need a better internet to download the games at acceptable speeds). If you didn't know about Humble Bundle there are indie games there. Games I've gotten from there include Aquaria, Bastion, Eufloria, Cave Story+, Awesomenauts, "And Yet It Moves", Little Inferno and more. These are indie titles so it's probable you've never heard of them, that doesn't mean they ain't good :)

DoodleDoo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Jan 2014, 12:46 pm

I do really regret not getting into "market making" for bitcoin. It was not to make money, I figured I would probably loose money for quite a while and it would be more of a hobby. My main real problem is not enough time to do all the things I was interested in doing.

DoodleDoo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

one1ai
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Mar 2014, 2:57 am

Here's one without a paywall: http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/e ... ptics.html

Anyway. Yes you could run to anyone whom you suspect is Satoshi Nakamoto. It has been done countless times and it has proven nothing to nobody except they got some page views.

Also you "journalists" think it's ok harassing random people to make a "news story". No respect.

Not to mention, shouldn't the person be at least a little good in Cryptography or cryptography tools? No journalists are sometimes stupid, I know. Like not doing their research before calling their work journalism and calling their post on the web an "article".

Humanoid2436
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Aug 2015, 9:11 am

DoodleDoo wrote:
I do really regret not getting into "market making" for bitcoin. It was not to make money, I figured I would probably loose money for quite a while and it would be more of a hobby. My main real problem is not enough time to do all the things I was interested in doing.

there are still many opportunities in this field. You can work for some new bitcoin related companies, you can set up on your own some exchange or get involved in developing some coin or you can simple buy 1 BTC and wait whether it goes up or not. Or you can buy several cheap coins like XMR or DASH or XCP and wait.
But dont invest much money its very dangerous. Cryptocoins can go up or down 50% within hours /while you sleep/ for no reason and in case you dont have them in a wallet but on exchange you can easily loose them forever.

KaleyS
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

09 Aug 2019, 6:01 am

Though Bitcoin has been using for several years, niot everyone knows about Satoshi Nakamoto. personally I prefer learning about things I deal with as much as possible, especially if I invest money in it. In case someone wants to improve knowledge, I can recommend It includes much useful info. Hopefully, it will be useful for someone.

Last edited by B19 on 14 Nov 2019, 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.: spammer

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2019, 1:30 pm

KaleyS wrote:
Though Bitcoin has been using for several years, niot everyone knows about Satoshi Nakamoto. personally I prefer learning about things I deal with as much as possible, especially if I invest money in it. In case someone wants to improve knowledge, I can recommend to check Bitcoin Wiki collection. It includes much useful info. Hopefully, it will be useful for someone.
he doesn't exist

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2019, 5:01 pm

whenever bitcoin goes up, people start burning random stuff for power. ... as long as there's no better use for it than as a gambling asset (and that's what it is. not a commodity, not a currency. a gambling asset. for now), the power consumption in times of global heating is just insane.