appletheclown
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2013, 1:18 pm

Geekonychus wrote:
appletheclown wrote:
Geekonychus wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
most importantly....understand the toilet seat thing.

No it's not. You're the ones who made this a thread about toilets. Thanks a lot for that, btw. :x I've never had this argument IRL. This thread is the first time it's ever come up for me.

My point is about being willing to respect your partner's feelings even if you don't understand them. Subjectivism at it's core.

Frankly, I think every Aspie struggling with self-aspect issues could benefit greatly from some moral relativist philosophy. I know I did.

You talk like your an Irish philosopher.

Not sure what that means.........

ism this ism that, ist here ist there, oop, these words are too complicated.

Shatbat
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2013, 1:40 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Are you done with your armchair shrink role?

There was useful information on Kjas' post, for those who wish to learn it. There is no need to be so hostile, to be honest.

For the record, doing something or avoiding to do something to not hurt someone else's feelings is a perfectly valid reason, within reasonable limits. In reality some sort of compromise should be reaching by weighing the extent of those feelings (minor discomfort, annoyance, desperation) and the difficulty of implementing the changes which avoid those feelings.

On those grounds I can talk about the toilet lid thing. I personaly think it's a trifling matter, it could be either way, the one who needs it up puts it up and the one who needs it down puts it down. But if someone likes it down and is serious about it, well, why not? That person would probably have their reasons, and it takes just an extra second to put it down, so their seriousness weighs more than my effort (as long as they are aware and patient about how long it takes to me to create new habits) I've had to make some concessions here where I don't live alone, but they are minor and make everybody involved happier. If something bothers someone I don't need to know the reasons, knowing that it generates an emotional response on them is enough (although part of the compromise also lies on the other person, there are also ways to stop being bothered by something and they should try it as well)

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2013, 1:57 pm

Toilet seat not lid.

But, actually, both lid and seat should be down. That way, both get to do some exercise before use instead of just one party.

But it also means watch where you're sitting on before you go for it.

Also:

Quote:
(although part of the compromise also lies on the other person, there are also ways to stop being bothered by something and they should try it as well)

Important point. If I have to make all the compromises, and the other person doesn't have to, then it will not give me good feelings. Therefore, if my feelings are of any value, then the other person should also make some compromises.

Only fair, right?

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2013, 2:07 pm

I am not hostile, I just have very low tolerance to BS ;).

Geekonychus
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2013, 2:29 pm

MCalavera wrote:
Quote:
(although part of the compromise also lies on the other person, there are also ways to stop being bothered by something and they should try it as well)

Important point. If I have to make all the compromises, and the other person doesn't have to, then it will not give me good feelings. Therefore, if my feelings are of any value, then the other person should also make some compromises.

Only fair, right?

If the other person isn't willing to make concessions while you are, dump them. They aren't worth bothering with in the first place. You certainly shouldn't move in with them.

Your entire argument in this thread seems to be based on the premise that this is how it is most of the time. It's not. Actual healthy relationships aren't about one party getting a leg up over the other. They are about giving what we get back.

It belies a distrustful attitude when even relatively innocuose requests, like the toilet seat one, are interpretted as a play for dominance. If that's you're attitude, I'm not surprised you have trouble differentiating appeasment from being a doormat.

Geekonychus
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2013, 2:37 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
I am not hostile, I just have very low tolerance to BS ;).

For the record. It seems like the toilet thing will never be an actual issue for us even if I slipped up occasionally. I mentioned this thread to her (and how it devolved into an 8 page argument about the toilet seat) and she started cracking up.

She's pretty much in aggreement with you about how stupid the issue is.
She's also in agreement with me that if it were bothering someone's roommate/partner that it's really not a big deal to make a minuscule adjustment one's behavior.

leafplant
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2013, 2:51 pm

well, at least you've realised by now that whatever problems you two have living together, they will not be about whether the toilet seat stays up or down.

I am so sorry, can I just add one more thing about the toilet seat - I realised I never made this point?

This is really to Boo who seems to be preoccupied by the fact that women requesting toilet seat to be put back down after males have used it is some sort of dominance ploy - Boo, I would like you to consider it from a practical point of view. As a woman, in my own house, I never need to lift the toilet seat up to use the toilet. If a male friend/workman uses the toilet seat in my house, I will fully expect them to put it back down because:

When a guy lifts the toilet seat and takes a pee standing up there will inevitably be splashback on the underside of the toilet seat. Because I will not be wearing the rubber gloves the next time I want to use the toilet, if I touch the seat to put it back down, I will likely be touching someone else's pee. This is to my mind not acceptable. I don't really understand why you would think this is acceptable.

Now, when I clean the toilet, I will wear rubber gloves and therefore not be forced to touch someone's pee on the underside or (heaven forbid) topside of the toilet seat. I realise that most people are probably not germophobic but I am pretty sure that the convention for putting the toilet seat down really is down to the fact that otherwise the next woman to use the toilet will have to touch your pee. Which, again, is just not right.

Phew. Thank you for letting me get that off my chest. I am so sorry for the thread derailment.

Geekonychus
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2013, 3:01 pm

^^^lol. Thread is already derailed, don't worry about.

Thanks for a clear, logical and concise explaination for the toilet seat issue. I'd imagine even MCalavera and Boo would have trouble finding fault in it.

appletheclown wrote:
Geekonychus wrote:
appletheclown wrote:
Geekonychus wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
most importantly....understand the toilet seat thing.

No it's not. You're the ones who made this a thread about toilets. Thanks a lot for that, btw. :x I've never had this argument IRL. This thread is the first time it's ever come up for me.

My point is about being willing to respect your partner's feelings even if you don't understand them. Subjectivism at it's core.

Frankly, I think every Aspie struggling with self-aspect issues could benefit greatly from some moral relativist philosophy. I know I did.

You talk like your an Irish philosopher.

Not sure what that means.........

ism this ism that, ist here ist there, oop, these words are too complicated.

Google searching terms you don't know is complicated? I mentioned these things out of hope that maybe if someone is curious they could learn more on thier own.

Understanding Subjectivism is a good concept for an Aspie to learn becouse it frames theory of the mind in such a way that it becomes much easier to understand the perspectives of others. There are numerous people I've conversed with on here who seem to feel that thier concepts of logic and morality should be taken as literal truth (and they use it as "proof" or "evidence".)

I'm pretty sure most people (regardless of neurology) have this issue. Most NTs can be completely oblivious to this and still function. The problem with being an Aspie is that if we want to be trully socially functioning we actually need to have self-awareness..........and that's a b***h, I know.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2013, 4:05 am

Leafplant, let's take this conversation to the other thread and leave poor Geek's thread alone :lol:

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postp5787713.html#5787713

appletheclown
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2013, 7:38 am

Geekonychus wrote:
Google searching terms you don't know is complicated? I mentioned these things out of hope that maybe if someone is curious they could learn more on thier own.

Understanding Subjectivism is a good concept for an Aspie to learn becouse it frames theory of the mind in such a way that it becomes much easier to understand the perspectives of others. There are numerous people I've conversed with on here who seem to feel that thier concepts of logic and morality should be taken as literal truth (and they use it as "proof" or "evidence".)

I'm pretty sure most people (regardless of neurology) have this issue. Most NTs can be completely oblivious to this and still function. The problem with being an Aspie is that if we want to be trully socially functioning we actually need to have self-awareness..........and that's a b***h, I know.

I'm pretty sure when a person believes in morals, it is true to them, and that is enough for them to see it as truth. That is why we have cops and laws so Lindsay Lohan can't go around robbing liquor stores.

OddFiction
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2013, 12:17 pm

Simple reasons for toilet seat to be placed in down position when done using it:

a. man poos. woman poos. man pees. woman pees. Three out of Four are actions taken while sitting. Thus default is down.

b. you lifted it, you drop it. just like you use a plate, you wash the plate.

c. woman doesn't wanna touch dirty filthy seat more than necessary (ie habit re public toilets).
*** same with (sanitary) man - how often do you lift public toilet seats to pee?

d. gravity.

My mother came up with a very simple solution when I was younger. She bought severely fluffy toilet lid covers and put them on all the toilets. They were so pouffy that when you lifted the seat, you had to hold it in place (the pouffy lid made it so the seat wouldn't stay vertical) or it would fall down and snap you one. I quickly learned to pee sitting down.

OddFiction
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2013, 12:48 pm

Now consider me to have a big ego or whatever, but since I've just ended the toilet debate :D let's get back to the original post purpose.

1. Make sure you have "wake up in bed and do the crossword together" moments. It doesn't have to be crosswords, and it can be as simple (and ridiculous) as lying in bed for half an hour after sex to talk about what politicians and ostriches have in common - but make sure you have a routine moment, every day or every few days, where you DO SOMETHING REGULAR TOGETHER. During which there is some sort of interaction (mental, communicative, and possibly touching as well).

2. As has already been mentioned, be sure there is some idea of who is more responsible about money - or if you are going to keep certain things together and certain things apart. Maybe make a "united" bank account where you need both of you to enter the password to access, and keep your own bank accounts separate. (this is only important if one of you is bad with spending). Personally I'd rather pair up with someone who treats money like I do, since money/spending habits is the most common problem in a relationship.

3. Let the other party know your pet peeves as soon as they begin. You can't teach an old dog new tricks - unless you're in a new situation... which you are now! So don't let the tricks (peeves) get old and ingrained! Now is your chance to adress them before they become a nuissance.

4. Bedtime - come up with a signal. "im getting sleepy". No two people are always going to be ready for bed (or dinner or etc) at the same time, unless they have some way of synching up, coordinating, etc. The signal helps organize it so that there isnt one of you constantly cursing the other one for going to bed at an arbitrary time every night and DRAGGING YOU WITH THEM. No one likes feeling like someone else is making decisions for them.

5. Sex. See notes on bedtime.

6.BE there for DINNER. Especially if you are not the cook in the relationship. There's no feeling in the world worse than preparing something and the person doesn't show up to appreciate your efforts. If you won't be there, give adequate warning!! !! (Better yet, try and get the non cook involved in the kitchen - even if it's just making the salad, at least they are there to share the time with you - to bond! - again, a "scrabble in bed" moment. Always good.

Probably more to be said but these are the few I can think of right now. probably because they are the 6 biggest issues in my current relationship (which is NOT working out, sadly, even though i DO put the seat down after peeing... and cleaning...).

EDIT:
Duh. Seventh. BOTH of you need to clean house/ do laundry/ take the garbage out. If taking the garbage out is ASSIGNED to HER, then you can still do it once in a while, and it will make her appreciate you. Mind you, if she DEMANDS that you stay out of the laundry room, then don't help in the laundry room! Take over assigned chores from time to time, not elected ones (without asking first). And don't be insulted when she says "but you don't know how to look at clothes labels" or says "laundry is my quiet time" ... give her the laundry if she loves it, and accept the fact.

Personally, I don't mind cleaning house, cooking, doing dishes, etc - but can't stand having dirty clothes all over the floor blocking my path to the sink, etc. The most annoying thing is if I ask her to clean up her clothes and instead she does the dishes and cooks lunch. LISTEN to your partner's requests and pet peeves and do something about them - not something you think is equal or greater work.

But that might just be me wailing about my own problems.

leafplant
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2013, 1:46 pm

OddFiction wrote:
Now consider me to have a big ego or whatever, but since I've just ended the toilet debate :D let's get back to the original post purpose.

1. Make sure you have "wake up in bed and do the crossword together" moments. It doesn't have to be crosswords, and it can be as simple (and ridiculous) as lying in bed for half an hour after sex to talk about what politicians and ostriches have in common - but make sure you have a routine moment, every day or every few days, where you DO SOMETHING REGULAR TOGETHER. During which there is some sort of interaction (mental, communicative, and possibly touching as well).

2. As has already been mentioned, be sure there is some idea of who is more responsible about money - or if you are going to keep certain things together and certain things apart. Maybe make a "united" bank account where you need both of you to enter the password to access, and keep your own bank accounts separate. (this is only important if one of you is bad with spending). Personally I'd rather pair up with someone who treats money like I do, since money/spending habits is the most common problem in a relationship.

3. Let the other party know your pet peeves as soon as they begin. You can't teach an old dog new tricks - unless you're in a new situation... which you are now! So don't let the tricks (peeves) get old and ingrained! Now is your chance to adress them before they become a nuissance.

4. Bedtime - come up with a signal. "im getting sleepy". No two people are always going to be ready for bed (or dinner or etc) at the same time, unless they have some way of synching up, coordinating, etc. The signal helps organize it so that there isnt one of you constantly cursing the other one for going to bed at an arbitrary time every night and DRAGGING YOU WITH THEM. No one likes feeling like someone else is making decisions for them.

6.BE there for DINNER. Especially if you are not the cook in the relationship. There's no feeling in the world worse than preparing something and the person doesn't show up to appreciate your efforts. If you won't be there, give adequate warning!! !! (Better yet, try and get the non cook involved in the kitchen - even if it's just making the salad, at least they are there to share the time with you - to bond! - again, a "scrabble in bed" moment. Always good.

Probably more to be said but these are the few I can think of right now. probably because they are the 6 biggest issues in my current relationship (which is NOT working out, sadly, even though i DO put the seat down after peeing... and cleaning...).

EDIT:
Duh. Seventh. BOTH of you need to clean house/ do laundry/ take the garbage out. If taking the garbage out is ASSIGNED to HER, then you can still do it once in a while, and it will make her appreciate you. Mind you, if she DEMANDS that you stay out of the laundry room, then don't help in the laundry room! Take over assigned chores from time to time, not elected ones (without asking first). And don't be insulted when she says "but you don't know how to look at clothes labels" or says "laundry is my quiet time" ... give her the laundry if she loves it, and accept the fact.

Personally, I don't mind cleaning house, cooking, doing dishes, etc - but can't stand having dirty clothes all over the floor blocking my path to the sink, etc. The most annoying thing is if I ask her to clean up her clothes and instead she does the dishes and cooks lunch. LISTEN to your partner's requests and pet peeves and do something about them - not something you think is equal or greater work.

OMG how much do I hate stuff on the floor! That was one thing my ex and I did argue about. Well, that and cleaning - it started off by "if it bothers you that much than you clean it" and slowly degenerated into me not cleaning at all then having an argument when his parents were due to turn up and I would say "well, if the state of the place bothers you that much.."

Also the above - you ask for one thing, they do the passive aggressive thing of doing anything but the thing you asked. If that happens more than couple of times - just check out. Life is too short.

Stalk
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2013, 4:00 am

leafplant wrote:
OMG how much do I hate stuff on the floor! That was one thing my ex and I did argue about. Well, that and cleaning - it started off by "if it bothers you that much than you clean it" and slowly degenerated into me not cleaning at all then having an argument when his parents were due to turn up and I would say "well, if the state of the place bothers you that much.."

Also the above - you ask for one thing, they do the passive aggressive thing of doing anything but the thing you asked. If that happens more than couple of times - just check out. Life is too short.

plants usually make a mess when they drop their leafs.

Geekonychus
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2013, 9:01 am

OddFiction wrote:

If it's in the morning, not a whole lot is likely to happen save for wakeup sex.

We take turns paying for things. I don't think either of us want to mingle our finances too much.

We've been discussing it. We have some similiar pet peeves but nothing as innocuose as toilets seat issues or anything.

She doesn't mind if I stay up and play videogames/watch tv when she goes to bed. As long as I wake her up for sexy funtime when I'm finished.

8)

Cooking is one of our things. Our normal routine involves us each cooking a dish and contributing it to the meal. Last time I made sirloin tips and she made roast potatos.

EDIT:

I'm not exactley a slob, but she's definetly cleaner than I am so I suspect this will take a bit of work on my part. Everything else has me feeling pretty good about our chances.

Schneekugel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2013, 5:58 am

When it comes to worth sharing, the currency my partner and I care for is "free-time". We dont have fixed stuff to do for each. During the year, it shifts between me and my partner, when he have got more work to do in the office and so come back home later. I work in building and engineering sector, so during summer I have much "money-work" to do, he works in sale-economy, so for him decembre is the hot spot of his loanwork. We simply see to it, that both partners have equal possibility to have "quality time". So when he is forced to work longer, then I am doing more housework, and when I work longer, he is doing more housework. As a couple, there is simply necessary work to be done, part of it for money, part of it for ourselves, and you simply should see that the amount of necessary work is shared between you both.

If you come home after 12 hours of work, and your partner tells you what cool stuff he did with his paladin leveling in some game since he/she came home, while tons of stuff still waiting for you, that your partner did not touch, because of that "being your stuff" then this will annoy you.

And dont give different kind of works an different importancy. Either it must be done, or it must not be done. If it must be done, then it is as important as everything else that must be done. Refusing to do something, because of it being "under your worth" but on the other side automatically expecting your partner to feel responsible for everything, that you think as it is not important enough for you, sucks. ^^ It says: "This is minor work, that must be done by minor people like you." My partner comes from rich parents, who had someone cleaning the big stuff for them. So he is not used to do certain stuff himself, and cleaning sanitary stuff is for him horror and I can see that on his face, when he is doing so. ^^ While I can simply switch off my feelings and go into logic modus, that tells me: "As long as I wear plastic gloves, I dont care, what I am touching with my hand." I know about his probs with that, and so I am caring myself more for the sanitary stuff, while he does instead focus on stuff like vacuuming, kitchen, ... But he would never expect me to be automatically be responsible for the "dirty stuff", but is instead simply thankful about me offering on my own to do more of that, while he does instead more of the other stuff. So he knows and accepts thats everything in the house is our boths job to do, and does not try to get into stupid excuses, like "That stuff is not mine to do, because ...