survey on the re-emergence of cassette releases

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

paddy26
Toucan
Toucan

03 Dec 2013, 6:29 pm

I'm currently researching the return of cassette tapes among new artists for my post graduate course and am looking for anyone who's interested to take part in a short survey on it.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/G2YX25Q

I'm also looking for musicians who write and record their own music to give their thoughts in a separate survey

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/G8BN82C

Thanks, I feel like spammer posting this here but I don't how else I'm going to collect enough info for the report.

pete1061
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2013, 1:14 am

Cassette tapes were horrible, I am so glad to see them gone. So inefficient, all that time fast forwarding and rewinding, trying to find the beginning of a song. And then it's no fun to have a tape get eaten. It's an obsolete technology, entirely useless now.

Diagnosed in 2005

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2013, 4:33 am

There are a lot of demos being released on Cassette and Cassettes are the reason mixtapes were born.

slickbacksteve
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Dec 2013, 9:23 am

i think its awesome! i know a lot of bands that occasionally release versions of their albums on vinyl. Id love to see more bands releasing stuff on cassettes. thats just one more piece to add to my collection of music. I dont have a cassette player but its one of those things id just love to say i have. Cds are 'obsolete' now too but ive got a whole collection of those and still growing

pete1061
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2013, 2:07 pm

Having lived through the cassette era and all it's frustrations.
The only value cassettes have is a "retro" feel for those who weren't alive then, or too young to truly experience it.

Vinyl, on the other hand does have technical value in audio quality for audiophiles.
Magnetic media however degrades over time, thus losing any analog advantage.

BTW, slickbacksteve, cool avatar. I've watched that video on youtube many times "the mysterious stranger" from the adventures of Mark Twain. Quite a strange video :D

Diagnosed in 2005

rapidroy
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2013, 12:31 am

.10 cents at a thrift store cassettes are worth the hassle, easy analog recording method, skip free portable non MP3 platform. Other then that there not that useful. Much better then an 8 track though.

AutisticMillionaire
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Dec 2013, 1:46 pm

I liked them, the Maxell metal cassettes are what I made mix tapes on for all my headbanging glory.

Damn they sucked for video-games though...Telegard took an hour to load using that old techology. I loved them for music.

"What do I care about law? Ain't I got the power?"
Cornelius Vanderbilt

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2013, 2:36 pm

i dont see casettes tapes or 8 track coming because they are obsolete.

records still have a cult following because many people feel they have a warmer sound that accentuates the bass better.i just dont see what casette tapes have on cd's.

plus cd's are 15 years from obsoletion anyway with youtube,spotify or soundcloud,who;who can afford i pad,kindles,tabets buys cd's anyway.once all new cars are equipt with internet based sound systems cd's will be dead

pete1061
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2013, 5:15 pm

A lot of new car audio systems have a USB port in the front for thumb drives loaded with mp3's

Diagnosed in 2005

YentonianCarlos
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

08 Dec 2013, 5:17 pm

Being somewhat old school when it comes to music, I miss the days of cassette tapes where when putting together a compilation you made sure you never skipped a song that you added to the mix.

The Internet era of music is one of the reasons its so hard to find great albums these days that sound like they tell a story. Nowadays bands just throw together 10/12 songs that all sound like they could be singles as they know listeners will only download/stream their favourite few tracks anyway.

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2013, 9:59 pm

pete1061 wrote:
Cassette tapes were horrible, I am so glad to see them gone. So inefficient, all that time fast forwarding and rewinding, trying to find the beginning of a song. And then it's no fun to have a tape get eaten. It's an obsolete technology, entirely useless now.

I agree as a lot of my cassettes got chewed up in the cassette recorder and I ended up losing things that I taped that I wanted to keep :evil: the ones I still have I haven't played for years they might not even work now also the quality of cassettes weren't all that good and they would end up wowing. :evil: :evil:

Marky9
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2013, 11:26 pm

I do own a cassette player, but it is solely for the purpose of transferring old cassettes to digital.

I think that the current interest in the so-called warmth of analog tape is better met within the recording studio by tape systems designed for that specific purpose.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2013, 6:10 pm

I'd had cheap cassette players for years. When I went to college I was able to invest in a sweet reversible deck. Akai made it. It had touch-sensitive controllers, Dolby B & C, auto-reverse, etc. I looked on the internet recently and noticed those kind of decks are still being made. Interesting. I didn't cassettes were making a comeback. What next? 8-track tapes?

SwampOwl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Dec 2013, 7:11 am

AutisticMillionaire wrote:
I liked them, the Maxell metal cassettes are what I made mix tapes on for all my headbanging glory.

Ahh... that takes me back to the good ol days. I find myself still wanting to make mix tapes and go out cruising late at night, but none of my vehicles has a tape deck. Except the cutlass which is in dire need of a full resto :(