Would You ever live out in the middle of nowhere?

Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Fisplen
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2013, 6:35 pm

I have a plan for when I'm older, if I feel lifes going nowhere, I'll go out and live in the woods up in the mountains.

Simple as that, I wouldn't mind a quiet life on my own, just imagine living in a small log cabin up in the mountains away from all the problems in the world living a simple peaceful life until You die.

You would face no drama, no conflict and no violence a simple and peaceful life, I would love it.

What about You?

Ever crossed Your mind to just disappear?

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2013, 7:05 pm

Yes, I have often thought about living in a cabin in the mountains. I think it would be very peaceful.

There are a couple of problems though - I likely wouldn't have access to the Internet, so I would probably become bored very quickly, and if I ever had an emergency, the police/ambulance probably wouldn't get to me on time.

If it weren't for those two things, I would definitely consider living out in the woods.

ASMJT
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Dec 2013, 7:42 pm

Fisplen wrote:

What about You?

Ever crossed Your mind to just disappear?

Multiple times! I think I would yearn to come back eventually.

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2013, 7:51 pm

I like the idea of not having to deal with all the people-related problems but realistically someone like me is not capable of a lifestyle like that. I need all the comfort of urban life.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2013, 8:33 pm

Chris McCandless (Alex Supertramp) tried to get away from it all and live alone in the Alaskan wilderness. Needless to say he failed.

I lived by myself for 4 days in a forest at the edge of a reservoir. Nothing but me and the deer and trees. Eventually, I came back to civilization.

I'd love to live out there by myself but it's hard.

I'm sure there are places you can get lost for good, like in the mountains of Washington, Idaho or Montana, but the park rangers might find you and site you for trespassing.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2013, 12:11 am

I live in the woods,but I have internet and electricity.I love the quiet and the air smells fresh and clean.Many people who have bad health are signed up for air-evac.

2wheels4ever
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2013, 12:11 am

I have relatives who live in a relatively rural area where I like to go for a few days from time to time, but they have bad radio reception and wonky wifi, and tons of materials I could be making things with but can't use, so I get bored after a few days

pilotguyiguess
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Dec 2013, 1:45 am

I thought of it too, but felt it would be best to live off the grid with a significant other.

And it would be somewhere expansive and far enough from western civilization to explore, like British Columbia or Alaska.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2013, 3:57 am

Gosh I never wanted to be in the middle of nowhere. How do people get groceries or go to the hospital or how do their kids go to school? I would be bored if there was nothing around me.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2013, 4:28 am

I do live in the middle of nowhere... in the depths of rural France. I've only recently got broadband internet here, which is the thing I've missed the most. We are surrounded by endless fields and woods. Just how I like it. Grocery shopping means a drive to the nearest town once a week.

salamandaqwerty
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2013, 11:26 am

I think it is probably my best option now

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2013, 11:44 am

We have school buses.And there is a small town for groceries.Since we have a potentially bad ice storm coming there is a run on groceries.Almost all the bread and milk were sold out.The last ice storm knocked the power out for two weeks here.I hope this one is not as bad.
Hospital is an hour away,unless you ride the helicopter.We don't even have a red light in the whole county.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2013, 12:13 pm

I do.

Unless it was 100% needed, I'd never go back to the suburbs.

Marky9
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2013, 12:51 pm

I would love a simple mountain life. I have even shopped around here and there for likely locations.

Until then, I enjoy visiting a somewhat rustic church retreat in the mountains where I can rent an isolated cabin. No sound but the wind in the trees.

But on a daily basis, I do OK with my "city" mountain life - living in a highrise with large windows overlooking the treetops and with a mountain in the distance. I like the way in the city people usually ignore one another. I do one excursion to the market each week; otherwise I am quite content in my concrete treehouse.

My worst living experience was in a small town where everyone knew each other, and were constantly all up in one another's business.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

05 Dec 2013, 4:02 pm

Technically I live in the middle of nowhere anyway. The nearest Walmart is two towns over. :lol:

Fisplen
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2013, 4:13 pm

It wouldn't be that expensive to go and live out the middle of nowhere, about 20 miles north is the Brecon Beacons , a place full of Mountains and forest and its relatively empty if You know where to go.

I spent a weekend in a log cabin out of the city once and I loved it, no sound no light pollution stars were as clear as day.