Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

zacb
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2013, 12:24 am

Hey

I think I have a good shot at a job I am applying for. It will be part time, and temp, and get me around 400 dollars. Now I am speculating what I want to do with this: should I invest it (I am a good investor/speculator) and reap profits, or should I use it as part of a moving fund to pack up and look for work elsewhere (I have a months worth of expenses on hand, but wondering if I would want to extend it)? I have a few targets to speculate on, but I am wondering which would have a better roi. I have enough to stay a month, but I am just not sure. What do yous think? (I am thinking Ivahoe Energy and/or AUY/Barrick Gold and/or Excelis).

questor
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2013, 1:07 am

It really depends on your short term, mid term, and long term plans are, both in your life, and in what you are trying to do with the money. If you are going to need at least some of this money in the short term, then leave some of it in the bank for ready access. If you aren't going to need any of it anytime soon, then you might want to invest most of it, but always leave at least some money in the bank for emergencies.

I can't give you advice on specific stocks, as I am no stock expert. However, don't ever buy gold, silver, or other metals stock, only real gold that you actually have in your own possession. The stock or certificates for gold and other metals is only paper. You have no real way of knowing that they really have the metal to back up the paper, and you can't easily get at the metal, if and when you need to.

I do know that there is a stock group of the top earning stocks on the stock exchange, and that a lot of people have done well investing in that batch of stocks over time, regardless of how any of those individual stocks do on any particular day. There are also several good stock advice companies out there you should look into. And never put all your money into just one stock. Always diversify, and not just companies, but types of companies. Don't just buy one kind of stock. Energy is fine, but also buy from companies selling other types of products and services. If one of your choices goes bust, you will still have the others. In addition to energy, consider companies that sell consumable products like food, and paper products, such as baggies, tissues, etc. Stationary products like printer paper, pens, ink, etc., are also consumables. These are all things that get used up, and then need to be replaced, so there is a constant market for them. The same applies to pharmaceutical products, such as drugs, and personal care products like soap, shampoo, deodorant, baby wipes, disposable diapers, etc.

So remember:

1. Get good advice from a good firm.
2. Only buy metals that you will actually be able to hold in your hand.
3. Diversify your portfolio--not only brands, but types of company.
4. Invest at least some of your stock money in consumables.
5. Always leave enough money in the bank for every day needs, and some for emergencies, too.

Good luck with your work, and your money.

gasburgers
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Dec 2013, 8:49 am

I tried to leave you a web address that you could learn from, but WP prevented it because I haven't posted enough. Start learning before you make any decisions.

zacb
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2013, 10:31 am

gasburgers wrote:
I tried to leave you a web address that you could learn from, but WP prevented it because I haven't posted enough. Start learning before you make any decisions.

I have. I have read more investment books than I have fiction. So I know a think or two. But I agree in general with the logic. I have already invested as well, so I have some investment experience as well. I am just wondering if it would be wise to save it and use it for more time where I will be looking for work. My initial plan was to visit, and if I got a job settle there. Otherwise I would just come home after a month of looking.

As for the metals, I would agree. I was thinking of taking those as speculative positions. As for my long term position, I want to buy Cielo. Was also thinking of a spin off from ITT (defense) (Excelis). I am leaning towards investing it, at least in Ivanhoe. I do think silver may have some luster soon, but as for gold, I am kinda a bear, but I think the stocks will do well.

AutisticMillionaire
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Dec 2013, 7:23 pm

For small time investing, metals are great. As you know, I invest mostly in my company and get about 5+ dollars for every dollar invested, but I also invest in silver every week. I like piles of gold and silver coins...unlike paper you don't want to spend it...you want to hoard it.

I only buy old US silver coins of about 90% purity as they are easy to test and verify and are often easy to get at a very inexpensive price. I'm not looking for rarity, just metal value as I may end up melting them as US silver is demonetized and legal to melt. Some day I'll melt them down and mint coins with my face on it....lol.

These are lower valued coins and not worth counterfeiting. Even if you do get a bad coin it's a trivial loss in comparison to more valuable coins such as Morgans and Silver Eagles. Peace Dollars are just as valuable but easier to get cheaply if you know where to look.

I use this daily updated site myself when sniping coins on ebay (yes I'm one of those dicks) Coin Values Link

"What do I care about law? Ain't I got the power?"
Cornelius Vanderbilt