(NYC): "Ban Proposed On Cell Phones, iPods In Crosswalk

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

nutbag
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2007, 8:07 pm

Hell! THEY (and you know who they are) are banning my asthma inhaler due to CFC messing up ozone. Issues: 1. know where CFC goes when it comes out? Down like a rock. CFC is heavy. 2. know how much chlorine Pinatubo put into air when it went off? 3 times all that man has ever done! 4. Know how much CFC in an anhaler? hardly any. 5. product declared "non essential" that kinda declares ME non essential too.

Tellya' wot, let us then get up everyone's ban list and combine them. We will ban everything. I want to ban from life itself everyone who wants to be my mommy! I am 53 bloody years old and don't need a mommy!

Gettin' tired of all this lot.

BAN THE BANS

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2007, 11:16 pm

nirrti_rachelle wrote:
Oh I have a better idea. Why don't they hire a babysitter for every U.S. citizen so there's no chance anyone will be left unsupervised to do something stupid? Or better yet, go all Orwellian and have 24/7 survailence with video cameras everywhere including your own home? :roll:

I ahve read 1984 and that scared me.

We will have none of this on american streets. I oppose this ban.

Happy New Year from WP's resident fortune-teller! May the cards be ever in your favor.

nutbag
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2007, 1:03 am

It would appear that some folks read books like that and brave new world, and took them to be operating handbooks.

janicka
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2007, 9:39 pm

nutbag wrote:
Hell! THEY (and you know who they are) are banning my asthma inhaler due to CFC messing up ozone.

No kidding. There was a widespread shortage of albuterol last spring during the height of allergy season! At that time I worked in a hospital, so I started taking the canisters out of albuterol inhalers that were bound for the trash and putting them on my own mouthpieces. It got me and this other asthmatic girl through the summer.

Now the CFC-free inhalers seem to be pretty available. I actually switched to Xopenex (levo-albuterol) because I don't have any side-effects with it. The albuterol makes my heart race and my hands shake - especially when I use it in a nebulizer. The Xopenex does none of that :-D Even so, albuteol seems to be readily available in the form of Proventil HFA. The lack of a generic makes me angry, though.

nutbag
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2007, 10:14 pm

Hell of it is that the entire "ozone hole" hypothesis (I grant it too much dignity with the word hypothesis) is bunk. 1. CFCs are very heavy and go down not up. Indeed, CFCs make a great fire extinguishing agent - Halon 1301 - that is inert and safe for delicate equipment and humans, and goes for the base of the flame, even if an unknowedgable operator aims it high. 2. Ozone levels track solar activity - gosh! 3. Mt. Pinatubo threw 3 times as much chlorine into the atmosphere as man had at that time: total! This had no measured effect on ozone levels. 4. An ozone hole over a pole during that pole's winter will not allow much UV in!
So we can die for an unsubstianted (religious) belief, just as heretics did a few hundred years ago.

janicka
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2007, 11:17 pm

nutbag - I'm not disagreeing that the idea of banning inhalers is a bunch of BS. It posed a major health threat to me as well.

nutbag
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2007, 11:43 pm

gotcha,

was just expanding on the concept.

and you are not non essential at WP

cynicism occurs immediately upon pressing your brain's start button