Need Help to get my financial footing on a solid ground

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

HeroOfMercy
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Dec 2013, 3:50 pm

We are living on a single income and we have a negative cashflow because of it. My husband stays at home with my son since I am the breadwinner. I feel like that there are not enough good opportunities for people with ASD, which is part of why I am limited in my power to become somebody on this planet. I have already learned the fundamental of budgeting. After I husband left the workforce, I tried everything: Starting a construction business with a couple that didn't work out, submitting two inventions through Davison and waiting for businesses to accept them. Investing in stocks and gold, my husband applying for disability (he has autism) and drop shipping. Why is it that every attempt I make to make more money doesn't work? Why? It's not fair. I am doing everything right! I am struggling to make enough for those things we need. Yes, we are now $20,000 in debt after having over 100K of cash. Most of it was lost in bad investments. I just need a friend who has been where I am at. Please don't criticize me and tell me how I have to cut back. I already know that mumbo jumbo. I feel so unloved due to lack of friends, so I spend money for beautiful experiences to compensate. Telling me to go to a debt counselor is like telling a diabetic to go to an othalmologist (blindness is a symptom of diabetes) I am seeking to do something that has a greater purpose and not just a job to make money. I know that is key. I need help taking steps to fulfill my calling, purpose and destiny in this world that is brutal and hostile towards people like me. I just want a friend who has been there, who used to be where I am at. I am 37 and I am a mid-level professional having sort of a mid-life crisis sort to speak. Tell me I am not alone!

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

05 Dec 2013, 4:08 pm

What do you enjoy doing?

HeroOfMercy
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Dec 2013, 4:54 pm

I enjoy traveling a lot and I enjoy my dog. I fear that I will have to give up these things that are dear to me. I love to travel because of the beauty of nature and culture. I fear that I will have to give up those things that I love due to my lack of money. I had to cancel my plans for my first overseas trip. I am still grieving over that. I do hope to be able to afford to go to a cheaper place instead. My dog is another souce of comfort and emotional support, but dogs are so expensive. I am raising her to be a therapy dog. If I am denied those things which I cherish, it makes me feel unloved. I do place my hope in Jesus Christ, since His kingdom is not of this world anyway.

Monolithe
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Dec 2013, 5:31 pm

Ok this might make me seem like an a$shole but, seriously sometimes people have to give up certain things, besides travelling isn't a need it's just a good/comfort. I don't have much money either, i usually only have money to buy clothes every third month and i can't join my friends in to many paid activities such as going to the movie theater etc. because i don't have the money to go do such things\ every single month. But i don't wine about it, i just deal with it and learn how to adjust to it so that i can at least do a few fun things a month, and when i don't have money to join in on paid activities, we instead do other things, go for a walk, make good food at home and watch a movie at the television.

It's a whole different thing when you don't have enough money for food or other things one needs. And yes some comforts/entertainment are also important but you don't need large doses to "survive" or be happy.

I honestly think you might have a sort of addictive relation to travelling and spending money and maybe you should talk to a shrink about this to see if that could actually be the case.
Aka you might be overspending money on things you don't need.

superluminary
Toucan
Toucan

05 Dec 2013, 6:37 pm

Hey there, I know a little about this having been in debt myself and being involved in Christians Against Poverty in the UK. There are strategies you can employ to help you. I'll post more tomorrow.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2013, 8:02 pm

HeroOfMercy wrote:
I feel so unloved due to lack of friends, so I spend money for beautiful experiences to compensate.

Make some social connections or get some type of emotional counselling to limit the spending via managing the feeling of being unloved.

Quote:
I am seeking to do something that has a greater purpose and not just a job to make money. I know that is key.

The key to what? This is certainly not the key to earning money. The exact opposite, providing whatever services for which people are willing to pay, is more of a key.