Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

vickygleitz
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2013, 2:42 pm

I am referring to one of my [just turned] 5 year old grand daughters. I was watching her last night. We made Christmas cookies, played 'Don't Spill The Beans," and played dress-up for tea. I was relaxed, and having a fantastic time, and started stimming without even thinking about it. So, this is what happened.

Zoey: Grandma [ the others call me granny] Why are you doing that?

Me: Doing what, sweetie?

Zoey: Doing this, [an immitation of my stim] Why do you do that?

Me: It's called stimming. I do it when I am having toooo much fun, like when I am with you [No, I did not tell her that I also do it when stressed, frightened, etc]

Zoey: But Grandma, other people don't do that.

Me; Some other people do, but not very many.

Zoey: I never seen any other people do that in a hundred years.

Me: My brain is a little different than most other people. It makes me something called autistic and stimming is one thing some people with autistic brains do. It's not a bad thing. It's just something that makes Grandma, and people with autistic brains a little different.

Zoey: Does it hurt?

Me; No.

Zoey: Can the doctor fix it?

Me: No. And I don't want to be fixed. I'm not sick or broken.

Zoey: Does it tickle?

Me; No. [Zoey looks sad] But my autistic brain helps me to be the most fun person in a hundred years [she constantly tells me this]

Zoey; [smiling] Grandma, I'm happy you have an autistic brain. Can I have another cookie?"

And that is one way, probably the most delightful way,[and yes I know that this method only works for incredible grand children] to educate and teach acceptance.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2013, 3:18 pm

Story gave me a big smile.

On a little more serious note I find children do gravitate towered me and I love them. They accept me for who I am their cool, eccentric Uncle who lets them get away with things their parents can't. They say what they think with no filter and do what they want when the urge comes to them and have black and white thinking. Something is good or it's bad. I try always to talk up to them and not go into that high pitched sing song voice that a lot of adults do when they are around kids. Kids do have a BS detector and they do figure out in their own way I am similar to them.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Random42
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Dec 2013, 3:54 pm

Awesome story!

AQ: 39
Aspie-quiz AS:154 NT:50
RAADS-R: 194
EQ:15 SQ:114

lelia
Veteran
Veteran