why do some people consider low functioning inferior ?

Page 18 of 18 [ 280 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2014, 11:35 pm

jenisautistic wrote:
AdamAutistic wrote:
i feel that people don't take me seriously..

I know how you feel

I know how you both feel.

Troy_Guther
Toucan
Toucan

05 Jan 2014, 2:34 am

Verdandi wrote:
Troy_Guther wrote:
As for my comments about racism against blacks in the US, what I said was that prejudice and discrimination will always be leveled by the majority against minorities, regardless of context. In reality, minorities often have equally strong prejudices against the majority, but they do not have to power to enforce those prejudices in the form of law, as the majority does. Discrimination against blacks in the Americas was and is particularly egregious, in large part because of the state of the world during colonial times. As I stated before, the powerful will always demonize and exploit the powerless, and during the early colonial period, predominantly white western European nations were wealthy and powerful, while predominantly black western and south African nations were weak and destitute.

Is this true? But look, the wealthiest people in the US are a significant minority. Like 1% of the population holds more wealth than the majority of the rest of the country. Where is the discrimination and prejudice being directed at them? As opposed to poor people or disabled people or others who vastly outnumber them but are treated to significant amounts of prejudice because of economic hardship that they do not experience.

Oh, there isn't any because they've been bribing politicians for years to gear the United States to their whims. Your premise is flawed because you ignore things like power relations, history, or offer false historical narratives, like

Quote:
during the early colonial period, predominantly white western European nations were wealthy and powerful, while predominantly black western and south African nations were weak and destitute.

I do not think it is true that these groups (which you insist on calling minorities, but come on - women are widely discriminated against and make up 51% of the population) hold similarly prejudiced views about the privileged (not always the majority). Rather, there's another concept here that you should look up - W.E.B. DuBois' concept of double consciousness. The difference between the privileged and the oppressed is that privileged people have power over those they oppress and have no need to understand or accept or even think about those oppressed groups, no matter how numerous they are. On the other hand, if you find oppressed people who express negative views about privileged groups, you will find that such attitudes are frequently informed by experience, not prejudice.

Quote:
That is, unequivocally, the biggest reason that blacks were slaves and whites were slave owners. The dynamic has played out the same, regardless of where in the world it took place, or in what time period. The strong demonize and exploit the weak. And the strong do not necessarily have to be a numerical majority either, they only need to control the majority of power. Apartheid in South Africa is a great example of a numerical minority oppressing a numerical majority. The patriarchal standard of men controlling women is another. If the circumstances of history had been different; if black nations were colonizing the Americas while white nations were simply scrounging for enough for food to survive, you had better believe that those black colonists would have taken some white slaves with them.

There has never been in the history of the world another situation that remotely resembles the triangle trade that enslaved incredible numbers of black people. There has never been a situation in the history of the world where so many people were taken, crammed into ships, and taken far away where they were treated as less than animals. That is a unique period in human history. Yes, slavery did exist elsewhere, but not like this. Not to the scale of cultural and colonial genocide that Europeans brought to the task.

And it is ridiculous to discuss a hypothetical like that which never happened, because of the reality of what did happen.

Quote:
To disagree is to say that there is something fundamentally different about black people vs. white people. And that would make you the racist, not me.

This is terrible, really. This isn't a real argument. You're just trying to manipulate me into agreeing with you. This doesn't change the fact that you initially asserted that black people are discriminated against primarily and solely because they are a minority in comparison to white people. This is simply false. I mean I am glad you can talk about what actually happened with maybe 50% accuracy, but you're still justifying sh**, and this terrible argument trying to draw a false equivalency between Europeans who enslaved millions of African people and the African people who were enslaved by proposing a situation that never happened, and disagreeing with you would make me racist? Damn.

Quote:
PS. The line, "All men are created equal.", was written by a group of white slave owners who thought women were unfit to vote. Take from that what you will.

Yes, I know. That was part of my point.

Like I've already said multiple times, when I say minority, I mean power minority. I even spent a considerable amount of space discussing exactly this point, just a few posts ago. Either you didn't read it, or didn't care. Regardless, I made it very clear that a numerical minority is more than capable, and willing, to oppress a numerical majority, provided this numerical minority has the power necessary to do so. As for the richest among us not having prejudice directed at them: What country have you been living in? What do you think Occupy Wall Street was about? The mega rich, and the corporations they run are one of the most hated groups in this country. Problem is, the people who hate them don't have the power to make their hatred felt in any meaningful way. What you said about privilege is absolutely right; the rich and powerful just can't be assed to care about the poor, because they don't have to.

And yes, the triangle trade was a particularly contemptible part of human history. I'm just not convinced that which race was on which side really mattered. At the very least, you seem to imply that there is some factor unique to white people that makes them especially cruel and evil. I'm convinced that all races are basically equal. Why the hell am I the racist in this situation?

As for slavery as a whole, I don't understand why you're painting me as some sort of slavery apologist. Never, in this entire dialogue, have I said, or even implied, that because blacks would have done the same thing had the situations reversed, therefore, whites enslaving people was okay. Enslavement of other human beings is easily amongst the most vile things humans can do to one another, and is never justified, regardless of context. I'm just not willing condemn whites as a whole because, through accident of history, they were the ones in position to most easily enforce their will upon others. They took the opportunities they were given, as any other group would have. To deny is to say that there is something fundamentally different about whites, which is the very definition of racism.

And for your final point that it is unnatural for humans to dehumanize, demonize, and oppress others; Let's examine that, shall we? On my side, I have every human society that has ever existed on this planet, and you have, what, exactly? A magical land where people don't demonize those they dislike and disagree with? A mystical realm where the rich don't take advantage of the poor? A special place where not following social norms is no big deal? I'm gonna need a little help here, because I can't seem to find it on any maps.

VisInsita
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Jan 2014, 10:54 am

Your view of Africa and native Africans at large, Troy_Guther, seems skewed. You speak like all of the large Africa would be the same – one large war zone, where kids are enslaved and women run from rapists at the edge of a starvation death. Maybe you, like the large proportion of the Western population, got your view from a short news insert?

Via a colleague who has done projects in rural parts of Western Africa, I know several families there. They live in huts - some look very traditional, some have some western additions like a plate roof. The food comes mainly from a “store” – e.g. the local bakery is a hut where the floor is covered in bread and you take yours from there. Food is cooked on an open fire, laundry washed by hand. Toilet is a whole in the ground, covered with fence. Internet can be used in the nearest town.

Are these people miserable or living at large an inferior life according to them or me in relation to me? No.

I also just read the beginning of this thread, and realized that the point I am trying to make was actually made by Davvo7 earlier in the thread and because he worded it so well, I quote it here:

Davvo7 wrote:
Who has the right to appoint themselves arbiter of what is normal and therefore able to state that somebody who differs from that is inferior? -- You are one step away from saying, "If you are one colour you are inferior to another colour! -- If you follow different cultural practices than the norm, then you are inferior! If you think or communicate differently than others then you are inferior!

So are you Troy_Guther inferior in relation to me if I perceive your thinking inferior? Are you thus less thinking skilled a.k.a thinking disabled, if I perceive inferiority in your thinking? What do you think? Thanks for the discussion. On my part I end it here.

Troy_Guther
Toucan
Toucan

05 Jan 2014, 1:39 pm

VisInsita wrote:
Your view of Africa and native Africans at large, Troy_Guther, seems skewed. You speak like all of the large Africa would be the same – one large war zone, where kids are enslaved and women run from rapists at the edge of a starvation death. Maybe you, like the large proportion of the Western population, got your view from a short news insert?

Via a colleague who has done projects in rural parts of Western Africa, I know several families there. They live in huts - some look very traditional, some have some western additions like a plate roof. The food comes mainly from a “store” – e.g. the local bakery is a hut where the floor is covered in bread and you take yours from there. Food is cooked on an open fire, laundry washed by hand. Toilet is a whole in the ground, covered with fence. Internet can be used in the nearest town.

Are these people miserable or living at large an inferior life according to them or me in relation to me? No.

I also just read the beginning of this thread, and realized that the point I am trying to make was actually made by Davvo7 earlier in the thread and because he worded it so well, I quote it here:

Davvo7 wrote:
Who has the right to appoint themselves arbiter of what is normal and therefore able to state that somebody who differs from that is inferior? -- You are one step away from saying, "If you are one colour you are inferior to another colour! -- If you follow different cultural practices than the norm, then you are inferior! If you think or communicate differently than others then you are inferior!

So are you Troy_Guther inferior in relation to me if I perceive your thinking inferior? Are you thus less thinking skilled a.k.a thinking disabled, if I perceive inferiority in your thinking? What do you think? Thanks for the discussion. On my part I end it here.

I will admit that the picture of Africa that I described is a stereotype, and certainly not true to all Africans, or even the majority of them. But it is true for far, far too many. Stereotypes don't just appear out of nowhere; they exist for a reason. A country like the Congo is a great example of this. This kind of life is typical for millions of the people who live there, and the way they're forced to live their lives is not simply an alternative lifestyle choice; It's an inferior way of living, one that no one would choose if other, better options were available.

As for your final point, I don't think our priorities are the same. I'm of the opinion that beliefs have to be logically justified, particularly if one intends to force those beliefs upon others. The positive benefits of this line of thinking are obvious; prohibitions against stealing and murder make sense. Our society would be demonstrably worse without those prohibitions. But let's suppose that I feel that these laws are invalid, that I believe killing and stealing are perfectly okay, provided they benefit me. This is not simply a different opinion that must be respected. Believing that it's not okay to steal and murder is not equal to believing that it's okay to do those things. One of those opinions is very clearly wrong, as shown by the harm that those types of beliefs cause. And if I seriously believed stealing and murdering were okay, you would have a moral obligation to challenge that idea whenever I opened my mouth to defend it. Feeling that stealing and killing are wrong is not just an arbitrary conclusion, we have very good reasons to think that.

However, perhaps this example is a little too obvious, so let's pick something more relevant. Let's talk about how woman are treated, and for the purposes of this exercise, we'll compare Western standards to that of the Taliban. Here in the west, we believe that women have the right to be autonomous in their lives in their relationships. The Taliban believe that women should be perpetually beholden to the men in their lives, whether it be their fathers of their husbands. We believe that everyone, women included, have the right to an education. The Taliban blow up girls schools. We believe that woman should be able to dress how they please, and that men are responsible for how they respond to this. The Taliban believe women should be covered from head to toe so men can never be tempted. These contrasting values are not simply a difference of opinion. One of these groups is significantly harmed and held back by their values. And it isn't ours.

To quote Bill Maher, "The values of Western civilization are not just different, they're better. OK? I know a whole generation has been raised on the notion of multiculturalism, that all civilizations are just different. No! Not always, some times things are better! Rule of law is better than autocracy and theocracy. Equality of the sexes, better. Protection of minorities, better. Free speech, better. Free elections, better."

littlebee
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2014, 2:05 pm

Thank you so much to the op and to all who are enquiring here. This thread is a rich field to hoe and it feels to me there is much to be pondered and understood here from many different angles and perspectives. When I used to have enquires in my home, just when we thought we were finished (and some people did leave), for the ones who stayed and continued, even though it was difficult to keep going, this is when the real enquiry began, and ultimately when we persisted in good faith and stayed with the question, there was an extraordinary breakthrough..

To Troy, you made what I consider to be a very wonderful contribution, but imo there is a juncture at which you went kind of off track in that you missed something key in what Vislnsita was saying, and so the way you were dialoguing, even though you made very clear poitns, went somewhat off track...

VisInsita wrote:

Quote:
Troy_Guther, If you state that disability is inferior, if all else is equal, is black skin still inferior, if all else is equal?

I do not recall who first made the comment "if all else is equal," and who then made the point that all else is never equal, or if the latter point was even made. I think that speculation is a valuable tool, but if the speculation is based on a logical fallacy, it skews for potential to get to the real root of the dilemma. In short, disability does not equate to skin color. I realize you did go into this, but it did not get to the root of the conundrum, which is the making of false correlations between ACTIONS toward people and concepts about people. These two points correlate at the juncture of action, and according to the thinking---or better put, corresponding with the mind of the person who is acting. Sometime they do correlate in such a way that expresses violence and other times they correlate in such a way that expresses compassion. So a person can potentially and hopefully always feel compassion for a homeless person (or anyone), but depending upon the context of the particular situation, not always want to invite such a person into ones home.

Secondly, it is obvious that many here are considering a person to be a monad, meaning that his individual qualities exist outside of the laws of causality as apply to the sense organs of a human being as they relate to the physical laws of the universe. In fact I am not even sure if you yourself are completely clear on this point, though it seems to me you are somewhat clear about it. (Monad: "an elementary individual substance which reflects the order of the world and from which material properties are derived."). From the perspective of a being a monad, someone who who hates is someone who hates and someone who loves is someone who loves, but if a given person hates someone who hates, there is no way to transform this hate into love, from either end of the stick. Only actions transform hate into love, but, because its qualities are fixed, an elementary individual substance (or deity) cannot exchange material in the way generosity will change the grudge filled mind or the mind of despair in another human being in a grateful or hopeful mind.

Disability or anything is only contextually inferior or superior depending upon this or that context. There are certain situations I can think of in which disability would be considered superior. I am not sure you are completely clear about the concept of the monad not being able to interchange data with the environment. but you do seem to be clear that the mind of compassion functions in all circumstances, whatever the context (depending upon to what degree such a mind of compassion is developed and how stabilized it is), and also that this mind of compassion functions in conjunction with making various mental discriminations, and that it is not possible to do anything without discriminating between his and that. The problem is that people who are functioning out of anger and also have wrong ideas about the nature of physical reality have minds that are clouded. I suggest that we all look at this---not so much by trying to understand how other people's minds are clouded, but by beginning to understand how this works within ourselves.

jenisautistic
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2014, 3:06 pm

Okay everyone this is going to be hard to write. I have been trying to respond to some of the posts made on this Thread like the posts about Africa. Unfortunately I feel some of this is beyond my understanding.

I don't understand how living in a more impoverished area has anything to do with your character or worth as a person. And I also don't understand how being a minority has anything to do with being viewed less of as a person.

Everyone has stereotypes everyone has bad views of their religion culture skin color disability whatever. For example Americans are criticized by other countries for being mostly overweight and being behind in education, while other countries are stereotyped Badly for other reasons.

Or even good like the belief that all Asian people are good at school or the belief that people who are Jewish are good bankers,or the belief that America is a nation with the greatest freedom and the Japan is a nation that has been most involved in technology. Although this may be true and not just a stereotype I'm not entirely sure.

Or just staying on topic the belief that African and Third World countries mothers and fathers have a better way of raising their children and American parents.

However even though this is hard for me I will still do my best to reply to what I can and still read all the posts even if I may not be able to reply and I do love reading all the posts as I mentioned before. :)

wozeree
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2014, 9:19 pm

I have a very hard time understanding how anybody can read Jen's contributions to this website (not just this thread) and still be babbling nonsense like low functioning is inferior. She's smart, eloquent, brave - when I was 15, I wouldn't have had the ability or courage to wade into conversations with adults like she does. She sticks up for herself and others against injustice.

Jen's going to be somebody one day. (Well not that she's not now, but you know what i mean! :D)

jenisautistic
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2014, 12:33 am

Thank you so much that was just beautiful :cheers: