Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Juggernaut
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2007, 3:56 pm

I tend to give really long answers in these posts as well as in real life. Its just that I have a hard time with giving an answer unless I fully explain myself because I see so much complexity in everything I don't feel like I am being honest or accurate unless I have went through all the ins and outs. To me partial or simple answers are incorrect because to me it is leaving out crucial info, as all parts of a fact are to me crucial. Leaving out things means the info will be misinterpreted. Guess thats part of AS.

The other day a friend asked me if I thought a paper was due in class the next day. I replied that I had no idea, even though I thought we did. To me telling her that I was pretty sure a paper was due would be misleading because either the paper is due or not. Me being pretty sure wouldn't make the paper more likely to be due, as it is either due or not, and my feelings on it. I did not want to give the impression that one was due until I actually knew for a fact that it was.

I think this method of thinking can actually be a good thing because it means I am not in generally a biased person. I look at every aspect of an issue before giving an answer, such as philosophy or politics which are my passions. If I have not researched or thought about an issue, I am careful not to make a strong judgement. Once I understand it I do, but it bugs me when people have strong opinions on things they don't know enough about to form an opinion like that. I would say at least 75% of the people here at school are of this nature. You've got radical liberals and radical conservatives and every shade in between and they can't all be right. But they all think they are because they have not investigated every issue and when they do, they look at it with the presumption that their preexisting notions are absolutetly correct.

well thats my ramble, but true to form, I explained myself, whether it was clear or not. Hopefully I can work on that. Hopefully I will be able to simplify and generalize enough that I can give two sentence explanations. But then again, thats an NT method of thought thats not the "right" way. Perhaps I had better not say hopefully I will be able to simplify. Because if everybody does that, one who sees all complexities is of great use in the intellectual, work, and social areas.

I had another ramble, but I realized it was not keeping with the topic about giving people answers, though it is related, so I will start a new post for that discussion.

asperion
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2007, 4:04 pm

A lot of us here are that way (including me); no explanation required.

The "start your own business thread" is mostly tongue-in-cheek btw (now I'm explaining); so no big deal at all if that's what this is concerning.

Juggernaut
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2007, 4:34 pm

oh, I realize that, its not about the business thing, though I started writing an explanation for myself and then realized I didn't need to so I put this here, but I meant to put this in the autism discussion section, but I hit the new post button while I was in here.

Vegasadelphia
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Feb 2007, 4:35 pm

I am that way a lot of times as well. My father says I would do a bad job if I was ever interrogated by police or put on the stand at a trial, because I say way too much, more than needs to be said. I describe myself as verbose... which in itself is ironic, because verbose means using a lot of words, and I only need 1 word to describe this....

Juggernaut
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2007, 4:38 pm

you mean the word aspergers?

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2007, 4:56 pm

I am the same way!

Fiz
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2007, 4:56 pm

I tend to give long winded answers to people as well, sometimes to the extent where they have lost the point completely (yet it was their question) and I don't. It's great, I love doing that to people, it's funny.

Juggernaut
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2007, 5:00 pm

It is fun watching peoples reactions at an indepth analysis to a simple question. Most people think I'm weird for doing it but entertaining. They are not sure whether I am trying to be funny or serious.

donkey
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2007, 5:10 pm

i give answers that are too long if i cant respond in 1 word or 1 sentence for the same reasons a need to explain and express myself, will often repeat myself and say the same thing again....like repeating but.....yiu get the gist.

charlesbronstein
Raven
Raven

07 Feb 2007, 5:19 pm

....In my classes I'll give long convuluted answers, that end up having absolutely nothing to do with what prof's question was. The problem is in some classes, there's so little contributions, I just need to break the dead silence....even if it pisses some people off, I could swear some girl whispered "loser". It's an obnoxious routine I have to break.

There's either my convulted rambling style, or blunt answers that usually end up sounding vulgar and juvenille.(particularly when discussing feminism)

....but what's more annoying, is the inability to small talk.

...but I'll just say try to break the cycle sometimes, you're not a machine and yer not required to spill your guts at every opportunity just: 1) be cool, and 2) be tactful.

Last edited by charlesbronstein on 07 Feb 2007, 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

asperion
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2007, 5:19 pm

People always appear visibly irritated and annoyed whenever I do that; nodding their heads in an exaggerated fashion and going "Yeah yeah," impatiently waiting for me to get to the point.

It's always a very uncomfortable experience for me; though I've learned through the years to be more concise (with the occasional regression) in order to avoid such episodes.

nutbag
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2007, 5:41 pm

If I have to give some sort of answer, i take off down that track, but then find that the answer to A is incomplete sans reference to B and C, and that each of them is relatively esoteric as well. therefore i break into exegisis of B and then C. By the time I have done that, and even if B and C do not rely on D through K inclusive, my audience is ready to drop.

But this is houw I think. I cannot - repeat cannot comprehend an item in a vacuum. I need to understand deaply or not at all, and in my mind is a multidimensional network of data points all connected by obvious and logical connections. How can anyone actually understand A all alone in a bare field?

I have somewhat learned to shut up.

But not quite! :D

Juggernaut
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2007, 6:05 pm

understanding an item in a vacum, thats a good way to put it.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2007, 6:09 pm

My answers also tend to be very long-winded. It causes people to lose their train of thought. I only want to prove to people how intelligent I am. Otherwise, my answers wouldn't be stretched out, half way around the world.