Oversensitive to foods losing freshness

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2013, 1:38 am

I think I am oversensitive to chickens and breads losing freshness. Although it varies by the 3rd day not matter how well I store it I will notice a significant loss of taste by the 6th or 7th day I get nauseous. Yet others will eat the same chicken and say it as as good as new or has lost only a little taste. It happens with breads sometimes near the end of the loaf. With people eating out garbage cans all the time I feel like a spoiled brat for not wanting to eat certain leftovers.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

singularity
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Dec 2013, 10:17 am

I don't eat much bread, but when i do buy it, I'll put half the loaf in the freezer because i don't eat it very quickly. And 6 or 7 day old chicken? Bleech. Anything leftover in the fridge has a four day expiry date and then it's inedible as far as I'm concerned.

Autism_Us
Raven
Raven

08 Dec 2013, 10:49 am

I am an NT and my fiancé is an Aspie. I am like you, if its more than a couple of days old, I wont eat it. He thinks I am weird, lol! He will do the "smell" test, even if its over a week old and still eat it! Grosses me out! I am like you with water bottles. If they are open more than a day and not in the fridge, I wont drink it. Luckily he and my son will come along and finish them off.

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2013, 12:16 pm

I won't eat chicken that is more than 3 days old....at most.

Usually, unless I am going to be out a lot (chicken is handy to break up and carry for lunch) I just cook up a poussin and eat that (baby chicken) in one sitting. It tends to be more tender than an adult chicken anyway.

I have spatchcock poussin, romanesco, runner beans and broccoli for dinner tonight. It is cooking as I type. Coconut water to drink (or mineral).

I don't like to eat veg when they are too old either but I am very fussy about meat.

I don't really buy bread these days as I am mostly paleo, but I will eat a french stick hog roast from bocadillos once in a while. Their bread is fresh though, as is the roast pork they use (not processed meat).

I don't eat processed foods with artificial ingredients.

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2013, 12:21 pm

Autism_Us wrote:
I am an NT and my fiancé is an Aspie. I am like you, if its more than a couple of days old, I wont eat it. He thinks I am weird, lol! He will do the "smell" test, even if its over a week old and still eat it! Grosses me out! I am like you with water bottles. If they are open more than a day and not in the fridge, I wont drink it. Luckily he and my son will come along and finish them off.

The water does not stay very fresh if you do not drink it within a day. I too won't consume mineral water from a bottle that has been open for more than 24 hours. I don't always keep them in the fridge though as I carry them with me when I go out.

AdamAutistic
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2013, 6:03 pm

i use lock&locks for all my foods. they work very well.

JSBACHlover
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2013, 8:48 pm

Don't eat any leftovers more than three days old.

Webalina
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2013, 3:25 am

I'm crazy over spoiled food, but in a different way --- I'm freaked out by expiration dates. If something is past the date, getting me to eat it is an exercise in futility. That kind of thing doesn't bother my mother a bit -- she'll eat stuff that I feel are WAY over date. She'll eat stuff out of the pantry that may be months old, and will take aspirin or antacids that are a year or more out of date. She claims that it hasn't hurt her so far, so she doubts it's going to hurt her now.

Something funny that she does though -- she doesn't see a problem with leaving cooked food out on the counter all day, but if it stays out overnight -- even if it was cooked at 10 pm and she gets up at 5 -- it's bad the next day. It's almost like she thinks the dark is what makes food spoil. I've tried to tell her that it's the length of time that something is left out that's important, not the time of day or night, but she persists in this belief.

Go as far as you can see. When you get there, you will see farther.