What was Your Autism Evaluation Like?

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2013, 9:56 pm

This question has been asked a lot, but I'm asking it again because I need your input. After about two years of searching I have finally found a place where I can get assessed for autism. I have an appointment in about eight weeks to discuss their fees, which are on a sliding scale according to income, but provided they aren't too exorbitant, this is finally happening, albeit slowly. My question for you all is what was your evaluation like? What sorts of things did they ask and what tests did you take? Is there anyone who has been diagnosed under the DSM 5 criteria? I'm especially interested in hearing from people from the U.S. I'm very excited I've finally managed to take some steps toward a proper diagnosis.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2013, 3:22 pm

Anybody?

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2013, 4:28 pm

StarTrekker, I was evaluated under DSM-IV. My assessment took 6 hours split between three sessions.

The diagnostic included the following tests:

Category: Cognition/Information Processing
- Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scale (WAIS-IV)

Category: Attention/Executive Functions
- Integrated Visual and Auditory Continuous Performance Test (IVA+Plus)
- Brown ADD Scales
- Wisconsin Card Sorting Test (WCST-R)
- Behavior Rating Inventory of Executive Function (BRiEF-A)

Category: Memory
- Wechsler Memory Scale (WMS-IV)

Category: Adaptive Behavior
- Vineland-II Adaptive Behavior Scales
- Advanced Clinical Solutions (ACS)
- Adult Asperger Assessment (AAA)
- Social Responsiveness Scale (SRS-2)

Category: Social/Emotional
- Millon Clinical Multiaxial Inventory (MCMI-III)
- Multidimensional Anxiety Questionnaire (MAQ)
- Yale-Brown Obsessive Compulsive Scale (Y-BOCS)
- Rorschach Psychodiagnostic Test

Some of the above tests were done with the Psychologist (WAIS-IV, WCST-R, WMCS-IV, Rorschach). Some of the above tests were simply questionnaires that I completed at home. My wife also completed several questionnaires at home (SRS-2, BRiEF-A, Brown ADD Scale).

Prior to testing, the psychologist gave me a Free-Form Intake questionnaire that included basic questions about Gross Motor capabilities (when did I first crawl, walk alone, run), Fine Motor capabilities (when I could feed myself with a spoon, write letters, tie shoes), Language capabilities (when did I first use single words, sentences), Social/Adaptive capabilities (when was I potty trained during day/night). It also asked me to describe my temperament, sleeping patterns, eating patterns when I was an infant and any problems with early child development. It also asked me to document various milestones with each grade in school (e.g. performance, best subjects, salient comments from teachers/parents, key events). Finally, it asked about mental health issues in the family (on my mom and dad’s side). We discussed my responses to the questionnaire during one of those aforementioned sessions.

Also, prior to the diagnosis, I began writing a bunch of stuff down that I felt could help with the evaluation, including: therapy history, list of anxieties, list of ocd traits, list of social interaction difficulties, list of sensory difficulties, list of motor difficulties, list of work difficulties, list of special interests, stimming, rituals/routines. Just about everything I could remember, beginning from when I was around 3. The entire document was > 30 pages. I provided this to the Psychologist, prior to the first session.

I hope this helps.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2013, 4:50 pm

A couple:

Attwood's place:

Spoke to my mother; spoke to me. Just 40 minutes of talking

Psychiatrist:

After several months of seeing him he informs me that he thinks I have AS after I bring it up ("I always thought you had that." Gee, thanks for telling me. Though with saying that, he was focusing on the OCD and other anxiety disorders, ones that actually do respond to treatment)

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2013, 8:10 pm

for the evaluation of history and questions i wasnt aware of what was going on, for my I.Q test, it was tough to keep focus on something so boring.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2013, 8:11 pm

for the evaluation of history and questions i wasnt aware of what was going on, for my I.Q test, it was tough to keep focus on something so boring.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2013, 8:32 pm

Thanks guys, Rocket, your eval sounds very intense! I have a while to go yet, but I think I'll start putting together my history and traits as you did, it might come in handy.

screen_name
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2013, 9:03 pm

Mine was very similar to Rocket's except I had less questions about my childhood. I believe it was asked about my early motor and language development, but that was all.

In addition, I had many speech and fluency tests, but I do not speak well--that may not be relevant for everyone. I have never asked for my speech to be evaluated, but after a few minutes in the office and she stopped to inquire about my poor speech.

I know I took the MCMI-III and I hated it. I found many of the questions very difficult to understand and answer. When I asked for clarification, they interpreted it as me being "literal" (as written in my report). I think they were vague or poorly worded! Why would you put a non-literal question on there? People of all different cultural backgrounds take it. I find that type of interpretation of my questions completely unfair.

When I went for my evaluation, it was per my psychiatrist's orders because--after 2 years of seeing him--I finally communicated that I had trouble switching attention, not paying attention. I literally tried to say this monthly for two years without being understood. Finally he did, we spoke about it, and he diagnosed me with aphasia and sent me for a full neuropsychological exam. I was previously being treated for ADHD (was originally diagnosed with ADHD as a young child).

In total, my evaluation took about 5 hours: 1 hour for an initial meeting and some questionnaires and 4 hours for the bulk of the exams. I came back a 3rd time for the results. Because they found my auditory memory to be in the developmentally delayed range (read: over 2 sd below the mean), I was given a very very brief summary and a written report to take home.

screen_name
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2013, 9:13 pm

I forgot to say that I was diagnosed under the DSM-IV with Aspergers, "mild" ADHD, and mixed expressive/receptive language disorder.

Norepinephrine
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Dec 2013, 9:18 pm

My diagnosis came within the confines of a facility built for children and adolescents with social, emotional and mental health difficulties. At the age of 16, my life at home and school was pretty much a mess, and because I was already suspected of having an ASD by my councilor as well, I was issued a stay there for a period of six weeks. While there I was given round-the-clock care throughout the weekdays, only being granted permission to go home on the weekends.

It was a long, arduous and isolating experience which I don't fondly look back on. But at least it gave me a chance to catch up with my school work and secured me a diagnosis through various diagnostic tests which I don't remember too well. I'm now just happy that I received a diagnosis and my life has since improved.

aaronzx
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Dec 2013, 9:33 pm

I was around eight years old. I remember it in hindsight, it was really boring, but I was completely oblivious to what was going on.

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2013, 9:36 pm

screen_name wrote:
I know I took the MCMI-III and I hated it. I found many of the questions very difficult to understand and answer. When I asked for clarification, they interpreted it as me being "literal" (as written in my report). I think they were vague or poorly worded! Why would you put a non-literal question on there? People of all different cultural backgrounds take it. I find that type of interpretation of my questions completely unfair.

I have this same problem. Going in, I was a bit concerned that a diagnosis would be based upon how I interpret some of those questions. I raised it as a concern (with the Psychologist) before the evaluation began. And, I raised it again once I had read through the various questionnaires. The Psychologist suggested that I “not focus on the details” (which she admitted was difficult for me) and to think “globally”.

So, what did I do? I decided to answer all of the questionnaires in one sitting. Then, a day or two later, I would come back and answer them again (without peeking at my original answers). Then, I asked my wife to answer them on my behalf (again, without her peeking at my answers). I felt reasonably OK with my answers, as each pass delivered fairly consistent results.

screen_name wrote:
In total, my evaluation took about 5 hours: 1 hour for an initial meeting and some questionnaires and 4 hours for the bulk of the exams. I came back a 3rd time for the results. Because they found my auditory memory to be in the developmentally delayed range (read: over 2 sd below the mean), I was given a very very brief summary and a written report to take home.

I forgot to mention that we (Psychologist, my wife and I) met for 30 minutes after the testing to discuss the test results. It was at that meeting where I received the diagnosis – which was Aspergers + Adjustment Disorder (with mixed anxiety and depression). This was followed up with at 20 page written report.

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2013, 9:44 pm

StarTrekker wrote:
Thanks guys, Rocket, your eval sounds very intense! I have a while to go yet, but I think I'll start putting together my history and traits as you did, it might come in handy.

StarTrekker - It was very intense. It seemed very thorough. Yet, interestingly, immediately after receiving the diagnosis, I posted the following on WrongPlanet,
Just Diagnosed, yet somewhat Skeptical <click>. I think it’s my nature to be skeptical, of just about everything. It's one of those things that can be both good and bad.

Good luck with your testing.

AspieTurtle
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Dec 2013, 9:48 pm

Mine was a three hour interview with the expert the first day.
Then two days of four hour tests. First day was the dumb questions like Have you ever been in trouble with the law. Well, I was not sure what they were actually asking so I said yes because I had a speeding ticket once a long time ago. Also other forms about my senses and stuff. Then the next day was the IQ thing. A few weeks later I went back and the doc gave me my DX.

screen_name
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2013, 10:15 pm

Rocket--it was interesting to read your just diagnosed thoughts. I was diagnosed during the same month as you.

I've been known to show up to doctors with loads of information also. I've had binders of information gathering when I really want to know what is going on. I was once asked about my sleeping habits and, on the spot, I was able to produce a graph showing several months of specific data. :)

When I went for this exam, though, more than anything I wanted an accurate diagnosis so I did nothing that was not asked for. I had not even considered that they would be looking at Aspergers.

At first, I just thought they were completely wrong. I see myself as someone with strong empathy, who prefers abstract topics (though, more of the mathematical or philosophical abstract), and I thought of myself as a "big picture" thinker...and I still do, I've decided NT isn't "big picture" it's "middle picture"--and I do truly struggle with that. I felt at first that I did not satisfy the diagnostic criteria. When I read enough from autistic people themselves, however, I felt the diagnosis was correct.

Rocket, in your post you mentioned having your Perceptual Reasoning score higher than your Verbal one. Mine was as well. No one discussed that with me. I was told that my tests could have shown left hemisphere brain damage if I had had a head injury--but I hadn't and none of my problems were new. That seems contrary to much of the direction of research for Aspergers, but that's who I am--however it gets classified.

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2013, 1:00 am

screen_name wrote:
When I went for this exam, though, more than anything I wanted an accurate diagnosis so I did nothing that was not asked for. I had not even considered that they would be looking at Aspergers.

Prior to the diagnosis, I suggested (to the Psychologist) a number of "conditions" that I wanted to be evaluated for including: Extreme Introversion, Shyness, Aspergers, Nonverbal Learning Disorder, Generalized Anxiety, Social Anxiety, Avoidant, Schizoid, Obsessive Compulsive Personality Disorder.

I was split 50-50 on whether I would be diagnosed with Aspergers (versus something else). Before receiving the diagnosis, I remember being somewhat nervous about being diagnosed with a Personality Disorder. Though, I am not certain exactly why.

screen_name wrote:
Rocket, in your post you mentioned having your Perceptual Reasoning score higher than your Verbal one. Mine was as well. No one discussed that with me. I was told that my tests could have shown left hemisphere brain damage if I had had a head injury--but I hadn't and none of my problems were new. That seems contrary to much of the direction of research for Aspergers, but that's who I am--however it gets classified.

I am quite interested in understanding what percentage of Aspies have this condition (where PRI > VCI). Likewise, I am interested in understanding the distribution in scores for Aspies for the Wisconsin Card Sorting Test (WCST-R) and Wechsler Memory Scale (WMS-IV). If anyone is aware of any studies, please let me know.