Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

TheGoggles
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2013, 6:32 pm

I was infected when I was about six years old. I don't know how, and I'm not sure I want to know. I have HSV1, which mostly affects the lips and is extremely common, although most infectef people never show any symptoms. The problm is, society doesn't know that. They see HSV and immediately assume it was an STD. There's no cure, and it can be spread any time.

Anybody else struggle with this? What do you tell friends amd significant others?

As for me, I've never told anyone besides my parents, who knew I had it anyway. I use Lysine supplements and have Valtrex to surpress breakouts, but it doesn't stop the fear of spreading it to someone.

yournamehere
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Roaming 150 square miles somewhere in north america

11 Dec 2013, 7:37 pm

there is nothing like watching some old hag that has something growing on her lip kissing children at a family reunion. I called it out once. I said "you need to stop that or your going to give someone herpes". she and everyone else snarled, and looked at me like I was the devil. im soo sorry for what is going on with you. some thoughtless wench probably gave it to you or something. there is a pill for that, and just about everything else, but I wouldnt recommend it. they all have side effects.

nebrets
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2013, 10:41 pm

I love studying infectious diseases, so I know that just because a virus is in the same family as a STD virus, that does not make it an STD. :roll: Silly people.

Many people who have them get them as kids when mom/gma/family friend who has cold sores etc kisses "cute little baby".

I have them now as my fiance had them since he was young. I willingly infected myself. I get abreva and the first day I notice one I apply it. It keeps it from getting big and gross and goes away in 2days to 1week.

SydneySputnik
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Dec 2013, 5:04 am

TheGoggles wrote:
I was infected when I was about six years old. I don't know how, and I'm not sure I want to know. I have HSV1, which mostly affects the lips and is extremely common, although most infectef people never show any symptoms. The problm is, society doesn't know that. They see HSV and immediately assume it was an STD. There's no cure, and it can be spread any time.

Anybody else struggle with this? What do you tell friends amd significant others?

As for me, I've never told anyone besides my parents, who knew I had it anyway. I use Lysine supplements and have Valtrex to surpress breakouts, but it doesn't stop the fear of spreading it to someone.

I got cold sores at age 19 and they were hideously painful at times so I can empathise with you. Obviously I kissed the wrong person! I have minimised the outbreaks (read below).

80% of kids (in Australia) have HSV1 by age 5, it's EXTREMELY contagious, and you probably got it from another child. At that age, all kids are sticking things in their mouth, then hands, sharing food and drinks, they won't have any idea of the implications. So stop worrying about "how" you got it. Nobody tried to give it to you. 90% of adults in Australian have it by age 18, and one third of them have had cold sores.

That means that 30% of adults have had or still do have cold sores. I don't see why you should be so embarrassed. Basically everyone has someone close to them with cold sores. But you are right to be considerate in not spreading it, especially to your new romantic partner, to young children, or people with weakened immunity.

The people who assume it's sexually transmitted are (typical of humans) afraid of something they don't understand. It CAN be sexually transmitted but usually it's by oral to oral contact which cold be kissing or sharing a water bottle. HSV1 USUALLY is oral and HSV2 USUALLY is genital. However, you can give someone genital herpes if you perform oral sex on them and they don't have HSV1 exposure in the past. Therefore you should at some stage tell your partner this fact. The timing of that is up to you. Ask, "Hey, do you get cold sores?" and if they haven't, you can explain the stats, that they have a 90% chance of having had HSV1, but you can't guarantee they'll be safe from infection. Of course - they could get the oral infection with HSV1 from you which is not too bad. Personally, I don't mention it for a one-night stand, but I do if I am dating someone. Sadly I know I did give genital herpes to one partner. I felt very very bad but was forgiven.

If a "friend" needs to be told, just direct them to these websites for a full explanation. The first is brief, but the second has lots of extra daily advice:

http://www.bodyandsoul.com.au/health/he ... resr,23263
http://www.traditionaloven.com/tutorial ... ntion.html

The websites also tells you some triggers of lesions such as sun, stress, having an illness like a cold/flu, menstrual periods etc.

You're doing the right thing taking lysine. Make sure you take it twice a day. Some preparations of cold sore prevention vitamins include vitamin C and zinc, that could help.

Some foods contain a lot of lysine, and some contain a lot of arginine. Arginine is liable to cause cold sores, so you'd be wise to reduce those foods with more arginine compared to lysine.

Here is a really useful table that shows the amount of lysine and arginine in many many foods. Avoid or reduce foods near the top; accept or increase foods near the bottom. For example - reduce intake of nuts and oats; increase or keep stable your intake of fish, mango, yoghurt.

http://www.traditionaloven.com/tutorial ... _acid.html