Page 4 of 4 [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Bodyles
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2014, 11:24 am

I got on the net around '90-'91, had to dial in long-distance to a telecommunications company in NYC. I was around 11, and without any books, instruction, help, or even advice, learned how to use a UNIX shell, download source code, debug, and compile it just so I could do things like get on usenet & irc.
Fun times. :)

Semicolon
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Jul 2016, 9:43 pm

The earliest I can remember is playing games for hours on Cartoon Network in my parents' room. Good times. :)

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2016, 4:54 am

Semicolon wrote:
The earliest I can remember is playing games for hours on Cartoon Network in my parents' room. Good times. :)

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2016, 2:51 pm

HELL!
Ill tell ya what I miss!

I miss this very spanking new 2015 model Dell computer that I am using at this very moment!! !!
I miss its early childhood you might say.

I miss it because it came with Windows 8 when I bought it 8 months ago, and I made the mistake of taking up the invitation to download Windows 10 a coupla months after I bought it.

Then yesterday I learned from the Geeks that I can't run certain pieces of software that I was eager to get because they dont run on Windows ten, but they DO run on Apple, or on Windows 7, or on........Windows 8!

@#%! :twisted:

Last edited by naturalplastic on 25 Jul 2016, 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2016, 4:08 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
HELL!
Ill tell ya what I miss!

I miss this very year 2015 model Dell computer that I am using at this very moment!! ! !
I miss its early childhood you might say.

I miss it because it came with Windows 8 when I bought it 8 months ago, and I made the mistake of taking up the invitation to download Windows 10 a coupla months after I bought it.

Then yesterday I learned from the Geeks that I can't run certain pieces of software that I was eager to get because they dont run on Windows ten, but they DO run on Apple, or on Windows 7, or on........Windows 8!

@#%! :twisted:

:mrgreen:

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2016, 6:05 pm

Semicolon did it. Not me.

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2016, 1:54 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Semicolon did it. Not me.

Sure, every necro poster explains their necroposting ureges in this in this way :mrgreen:

But since we already started it, so i quote myself:

pawelk1986 wrote:
I'm from Poland, in my country internet become available much later than in west. I remember 1999 as i begged my dad to give my 4 pln a dollar more or less, for Internet Caffe, which was recently opened. I already spend my allowance. And i desperately want to surf the web for fist time in my life :D
I was 13 back than. I remember one day in 2001 i have my allowance and go with my dad on shooing later i go to Internet Caffe, i went there with my dad, he ask me to search on the internet something for him. But this day Internet was terribly lagging. I knew that Polish Internet Land line was much slower than in the west everything loading extremely slow, my dad suggest that i should go to the owner and demand money return . I renumber than on "Wirtualna Polska - Virtual Poland" on of biggest Polish Internet Poland posted new "Atak terrorystyczny na USA - Samolot Uderzył w gmach World Trade Center - Terrorist Attack on USA: Plane hinted World Trade Center Building" My dad said using little crude language that is sick stupid and tasteless joke and insisted me to search on internet about what he asked me.

I think if I was looking for information about diseases of the heart, because my poor dad suffered from heart disease. Sadly, he died in 2002 :(

As I returned home with my dad it turned out that it was not a sick joke, but the truest truth. All Polish and foreign TV stations talked about a terrorist attack on America, it was a memorable 11 September 2001, I hence knew why the Internet work so slowly on that day.

Since 2005, I have high speed internet, at a very affordable price, because municipal heating plant, laying a new heating pipes, laid a fiber optic cable.
By creating a Wroclaw Municipal Internet Network, from what I know it was probably subsidized by the European Union, because Poland joined the EU in 2004

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2016, 3:10 pm

You know the mods have said over and over again they don't care about necroposting and nor does Alex for that matter.

Take a chill pill, its a good topic with the other thread about the 2000s.

Anyway I was rocking a 400 Mhz AMD K6-II at this time or at least my brother was but I used it and it was awesome. Windows 95 ran great and games ran decent enough though I remember Star Wars Jedi Outcast lagged on out side environments but it was still playable and that game was released after 2002.

Semicolon
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Jul 2016, 9:49 pm

Sorry, everyone. New to the forum. :(

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

29 Jul 2016, 8:04 pm

I will say this; I have used a broadband connection since 2000, and I haven't looked back since. :)

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2021, 4:30 am

i miss the free usenet.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2021, 5:43 am

One of the first things I downloaded to a dot matrix printer from the internet using a dial up modem took me 8hrs and I still only got half the image :lol:

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2021, 6:05 am

I miss the feeling that the internet was the start of something awesome and exciting and genuinely new. I miss the sound of my 56k modem dialing up. I miss that it belonged to me, not my parents or sisters or most of the other kids at school. I miss getting yelled at by my parents when they went to use the phone and got an earful of static. I miss that it was my playground, not my workplace.

Would I trade all that for my 100mb fibre connection? Would I? Maybe it's best I don't get to have that choice.

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2021, 5:24 pm

First got on the internet in 1999, at school. Windows 98. I was really impressed by the technology. I do like the old school windows design lookin back now, the aesthetics, its pure nostalgia.

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2021, 5:49 pm

DuckHairback wrote:
I miss getting yelled at by my parents when they went to use the phone and got an earful of static. .

:lol:

Eurythmic
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2021, 4:37 am

Part of me misses the Digital dumb terminals with the monochrome screen and text based interface we had when we got 'net access in my Uni days, not to mention 2400 baud dialup and the salivating sound you get from hearing it do it's handshake when calling in from home. Commercial ISPs didn't even exist in the regional town I grew up in then. ARPANET provided the Uni's connection via private link to Brisbane which would have cost a motza back then.

I cut my teeth in the days of the Commie 64 and 286 with basic token ring networking.

Now I've got a very high speed connection at home, on my phone and on my iPad with always on connection everywhere I go. Nostalgic to think about, but would I want to go back to those days - nope!