6-year-old boy suspended from school for kissing student

Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2013, 10:58 am

^^^Thats some rules are stupid when applied to children.

Max000
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2013, 12:01 pm

MCalavera wrote:
Magneto wrote:
The first link doesn't really state that the girl really didn't want it. If he's persisting even when he's been told that she doesn't want to be kissed... better that he learns no means no now, rather than in court a decade down the line.

Not by labeling it "sexual harrassment" when the child didn't know much or anything about sex.

Except, that it is probably sexual harassment, whether he knows that it is or not. Why should it not be reported as what it is? The kid obviously has some serious issues, that need to be corrected. Playing the problem down is probably not going to help.

TheGoggles
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2013, 12:12 pm

Max000 wrote:
MCalavera wrote:
Magneto wrote:
The first link doesn't really state that the girl really didn't want it. If he's persisting even when he's been told that she doesn't want to be kissed... better that he learns no means no now, rather than in court a decade down the line.

Not by labeling it "sexual harrassment" when the child didn't know much or anything about sex.

Except, that it is probably sexual harassment, whether he knows that it is or not. Why should it not be reported as what it is? The kid obviously has some serious issues, that need to be corrected. Playing the problem down is probably not going to help.

He.

Is.

Six.

Years.

Old.

Maybe he saw one of the sixty bazillion instances of a character kissing a lady's hand in greeting on television and emulated the behavior. And maybe he didn't understand the modern cultural significance of hand-kissing BECAUSE HE IS A SIX-YEAR-OLD CHILD.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2013, 1:04 pm

A six year old kissing a girls hand is not sexual, even if he has a crush on her, period. Anyway, he was right to be punished, but being suspended for that is way overboard.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

13 Dec 2013, 3:19 pm

I think it is the fact that he has a record that got him suspended, rather than just kissing.

Quote:
He has been suspended for rough-housing and kissing the same girl once before.

He's been suspended for previous "kissing-related offences" (albeit a more serious one0, he kisses someone again and gets suspended again.

I do think they've probably overreacted if he's only kissed her hand, but if he's already been punished for kissing then maybe it was appropriate to suspend him.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2013, 4:15 pm

Did this kid have Aspergers? Or was this another case of a parent with bad parenting skills?

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2013, 4:24 pm

LKL wrote:
http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/12/us/six-year-old-kissing-girl-suspension/
A somewhat more balanced look.

When I was 12, I once remember being forcibly kissed on the mouth by a girl when I didn't want it. Yet, when I complained to a teacher about it, she was just yelled at. Should she have been suspended instead?

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2013, 10:23 pm

Depends on whether she had a history of violating your space and otherwise acting out, or not. I would say that a little 'administrative segregation,' (ie, a time-out room or a stool in the corner) would probably have been adequate in this case. But it shouldn't be played down with, 'it was just a kiss.'

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2013, 11:33 pm

He wouldn't have gotten in as much trouble if he had pinched her or pulled her pig tail.

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2013, 11:56 pm

If a parent kissed his/her child on the cheek without the child's permission, and they have a history of doing so, does this mean it's sexual harrassment?

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2013, 12:17 am

MCalavera, can you really not see the difference between that and this?

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2013, 12:33 am

The question is whether any difference between the two is relevant. I say, since neither case is sexual, then neither should be condemned as "sexual harrassment".

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2013, 12:59 am

I don't know about America, but here in Australia, the law does no see people under 16 capable of sexual harrassment:

http://www.humanrights.gov.au/sexual-ha ... -education

Quote:
A complaint of sexual harassment cannot be made against a student under the age of 16.

Silly law, I know, but it is the law, after all, we have to go by for definitions related to these matters.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2013, 4:24 am

It doesn't matter that it wasn't "sexual," especially now that the kid's record is showing only 'misbehavior.' What mattered is that he was pushing her into this girl's space despite her repeatedly telling him to stop.

I would hit boys for that in grade school, but not every girl is an out-of-control aspie who does what she wants.

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2013, 7:47 am

Then again, it doesn't take much for girls to want to hit boys.

ModusPonens
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2013, 2:06 pm

Misslizard wrote:
He wouldn't have gotten in as much trouble if he had pinched her or pulled her pig tail.

Excelent point.

Just when I thougth that schools couldn't get more ridiculous than teaching creationism, this comes along.

To quote the great Poppy "On this issue there is no debate! And no other intelligent person can think otherwise!"