6-year-old boy suspended from school for kissing student

Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

sephardic-male
Toucan
Toucan

12 Dec 2013, 7:58 am

Hunter Yelton, 6, was suspended from school for sexual harassment — after he kissed a girl on the cheek.

Theirs was a forbidden love.

A 6-year-old Don Juan has been suspended from school in Colorado for kissing a classmate on the cheek because his principal considered it sexual harassment.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nationa ... z2nGU1cFjq

if it was the other way around were the girl kissed the boy would she be accused of sexual harassment?

Robert Stacy McCain's sex trouble series

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

12 Dec 2013, 8:30 am

Probably, if they didn't want to be kissed.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2013, 10:51 am

Is he going to have to attend classes on sexual harassment?This is just stupid.
I'd be more worried about him spreading the common cold than being a pick up artist.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2013, 12:03 pm

Kissing the girl on her hand. The school has decided to crucify a six year old kid on the cross of zero tolerance.

Madness. Madness I say.

ruveyn

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2013, 9:51 pm

The principal made the right call. The kid's behavior was absolutely unacceptable.

Boys kissing girls...disgusting!! ! I can't imagine how horrified HER parents must have been. If I were her father, I'd see about filing a lawsuit against the school district. I mean, where were the teachers? Don't they supervise the kids? Sure, the principal made the right call, but there's at least one teacher out there who is about to lose a job, or at least put on leave without pay until they can complete an investigation to figure out why the freak this was allowed to happen in the first place.

Teachers these days...every time I hear about things like this it puts me one step closer to homeschooling my kids. This is exactly why i don't send my kids to public screwal.

And I know it's not JUST the teachers' fault. The parents obviously are doing a poor job of raising their son if this is how he acts in school. I hope someone calls CPS and has the kid removed from the home. I bet his mother hugs him a lot. *shivers* I hope she goes to jail.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2013, 1:45 am

Max000
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2013, 2:20 am

sephardic-male wrote:

“They sent me to the office, fair and square. I did something wrong and I feel sorry.”

The kid seems to take responsibility for his actions. Too bad his mother can't seem to manage to do the same.

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2013, 2:34 am

LKL wrote:
http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/12/us/six-year-old-kissing-girl-suspension/
A somewhat more balanced look.

Still not warranted. A simpler disciplinary action would have sufficed.

Calling it "sexual" does more harm than good.

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2013, 4:24 am

The first link doesn't really state that the girl really didn't want it. If he's persisting even when he's been told that she doesn't want to be kissed... better that he learns no means no now, rather than in court a decade down the line.

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2013, 4:29 am

Magneto wrote:
The first link doesn't really state that the girl really didn't want it. If he's persisting even when he's been told that she doesn't want to be kissed... better that he learns no means no now, rather than in court a decade down the line.

Not by labeling it "sexual harrassment" when the child didn't know much or anything about sex.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2013, 5:25 am

From what I've read, they've changed that part to 'misbehavior' or something like that. I agree with Magneto, though: better that he learns now that it's not ok to force your attentions on someone who doesn't want it, even if you have a crush on them.

Schneekugel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2013, 5:58 am

Whenever I hear such stuff, I am thinking to myself, is there is in the USA no "normal sanctioning" anymore? So it seems that every s**t, gets blown out extraordinary, when around here you simply get some stuff like the teacher calling your parents, or you being forced to write 50 times "I will not kiss someone without asking for permittance." or being forced to helpt the janitor for an hour after school...

I mean its about kids, and sure you should teach a kid about correct behavior, and correct it and sanction it, if its necessary, but what about the good old: "Now you go to ... and tell her that you are sorry about your behavior, and I will tell your parents about it." ?

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2013, 7:03 am

Schneekugel wrote:
Whenever I hear such stuff, I am thinking to myself, is there is in the USA no "normal sanctioning" anymore? So it seems that every sh**, gets blown out extraordinary, when around here you simply get some stuff like the teacher calling your parents, or you being forced to write 50 times "I will not kiss someone without asking for permittance." or being forced to helpt the janitor for an hour after school...

I mean its about kids, and sure you should teach a kid about correct behavior, and correct it and sanction it, if its necessary, but what about the good old: "Now you go to ... and tell her that you are sorry about your behavior, and I will tell your parents about it." ?

It depends on the USA you live in. Where I live, things like that are just "cute." You also have freedom of religion, and a student's constitutional rights do not end at the school gate. I was able to do some things that other teachers/administrators would have freaked out about if I'd lived and taught anywhere other than where I did.

My approach to teaching while I was still in the public classroom largely fell upon a common-sense approach. The vast majority of the US is rooted in something similar. I'm personally not really a touchy-feely kind of guy, but there is a young girl at my kids' school who makes a point of giving me a hug every time I pick up my daughter. I've seen my kids' classmates just about run my kids over with affectionate displays when it's time to go or when they arrive. In the USA, we tend to be more protective of our "personal space" than in other cultures, and when you couple that with a rogue administrator's inflated sense of political correctness, it's a disaster waiting to happen.

I mean, who suspends a 6-year-old for a smoocher? I agree that the kid's behavior should be corrected because he has a history of bothersome behavior. But you don't suspend a kid that young for that.

That's the OTHER United States I'm talking about. When you take into account that this happened in Colorado as opposed to, say, Texas or Alabama, it takes on a whole new light.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2013, 7:39 am

LKL wrote:
http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/12/us/six-year-old-kissing-girl-suspension/
A somewhat more balanced look.

A compromise with morality. They should have flogged the little pervert to within an inch of his live and then castrated him

(/sarcasm off).

ruveyn

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2013, 8:05 am

LKL wrote:
From what I've read, they've changed that part to 'misbehavior' or something like that. I agree with Magneto, though: better that he learns now that it's not ok to force your attentions on someone who doesn't want it, even if you have a crush on them.

What did he learn?

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2013, 10:58 am

^^^Thats some rules are stupid when applied to children.