Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

leiselmum
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Dec 2013, 10:39 pm

Yay, my daughter has an aide starting 2014 to assist her in 12 lessons per week. What can we expect from her as people here may have had first hand experience as a parent dealing with an aide assisting their child at school.
I dont want them to do everything for her, I do want to her to be encouraged to help herself and speak in public to go towards some independence. She is doing a vet course that is community services such as child care centres and the like, so will have to be involved verbally, and this is our big thing to work on, speaking confidently .
I want the aide to be a valuable assistance but not someone to totally depend on, so that my child won't learn independence. My child is 16.

thankyou for reading

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2013, 7:08 pm

My son has not had an aid, but from what I've observed with other children the functions the aid performs can vary quite a bit. If she is a good aid, she will read your daughter's needs and abilities and work to support her but not take over. The same fine line we walk as parents, really.

Remember that no one can force your daughter to learn skills and become independent on a specific timeline. Hopefully the aid will read your daughter well enough to know what she is ready to learn and apply the appropriate nudges, but she can't be expected to make sure your daughter achieves a certain level by a certain date. Reaching independence is likely to be a drawn out, extended process for your daughter, and support is likely to drop off before she is actually ready for it to, simply because she will age out of the system. But that does not mean she has to age out of learning and having support - it will just have to come from somewhere else. Just be ready for all that. Even with the best of aids, the process has to occur on its natural time line.

leiselmum
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Dec 2013, 3:49 am

Thankyou this is exactly what I need to hear, experience, I have none when it comes to expectations from an aide. Would be nice if the aide would continue on into university if need be, but maybe wishful thinking on my part. I just need to be grateful for whatever help there is.

Aide and my daughter have been suitably matched apparently.