Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

JohnConnor
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Dec 2013, 8:51 am

I John Connor now find myself at the forefront of our political times. My life and what I want to do is a contentious debate I think. I'm an autistic adult in his 30's who is looking to repair the pieces of his broken life but I need some help to do it. I have applied with the Bureau of Vocational Rehabilitation in order to receive training and services to obtain employment with the civil service working in clerical administrative.

There are people out there who hate the idea IMO Tea Party and their supporters of their taxes going to support someone like me getting ahead. They just want to pay lip service to someone in my situation but then let me die rather than help. Why, you may ask, because they don't know me.

I grew up with no church and no real sense of community inclusion partly because the demographic that I grew up in wanted to give those institutions up due to them being too restrictive. Also because of the fact that I had at the time a problem which nobody could guess what it was, therefore made my life a living hell in order to get me to "act right" which did not work.

I am now beginning to become a member of a church that I like. Not the fire and brimstone churches that have not done well to attract new members, not the new age churches who have a carefully constructed popular message that slips social conservatism into their message. A church that has people who are highly intelligent and critical thinking. Mainly college professors.

In this economy I prefer to associate with those who are able to use their brains and are not led.

I just had my...mmmm...I'd say third meeting with the BVR where they told me the next step they are going to take. I feel like this is the final step that I have to take before I make the journey towards a happier, healthier and ultimately more productive life. So we shall see what the outcome will be.

WerewolfPoet
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2013, 9:41 am

It seems as though you are taking positive steps to achieve your goals--kudos to you (people in general seem to struggle with this).

Is the Church that you are referring to a Unitarian Church, by any chance? I have heard many positive things about this particular sect.

Best of luck to you in your endeavors. :)

JSBACHlover
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2013, 10:35 am

John, I am confused. What exactly are you doing to better your situation? What steps have you taken to get money / employment? Is this new church you are going to going to assist you? I just want to figure out how you've been able to figure out a means for survival.....

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2013, 12:21 pm

Good for you.

I want to tell you to ignore the Tea Party jerks, but obviously that's not a good idea as they are part of the political force shaping the future. Personally, I think local organizations are better to run that stuff than the government (government being too big, too cumbersome, too centralized, too out-of-touch, and above all too easily corrupted)...

...but it's not like local leaders and "advocacy" groups can't be corrupt too. Just look at some church scandals (God, you don't even have to be Catholic) and Auti$m $peak$.

Yeah, the Tea Party "Me First, Me Second, Me Third, Me Only" attitude is dangerous. It's probably up-and-coming, because the labor wars in the early half of the 20th century aren't taught in history classes and most of the people who remember them are dead. History becomes legend, legend becomes myth, and when myth is forgotten, it becomes the present state of affairs.

Well, labor wars and eugenics programs had sunk to obscure stories of cultural mythology when I was in middle school-- I would not have learned about the labor wars at all if I had not grown up in West Virginia coal country in a family of union coal miners, and I would not have learned about the American eugenics movement at all if I had not picked up my grandfather's copy of The Hiding Place and discovered a brand-new special interest that sustained me for years of making tracks from the card catalog to the stacks at my local library.

Sounds like time to duck and cover.

Good luck. What kind of church have you found?? I'd like to look for a church like that. And where do I find this Bureau of Vocational Rehabilitation?? My last baby is one and a half. An Aspie SAHM is going to need to join the workforce in three or four years.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2013, 12:35 pm

Good luck, I hope it continues to work for you.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2013, 12:35 pm

Double Post

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2013, 2:29 pm

JohnConnor wrote:
There are people out there who hate the idea IMO Tea Party and their supporters of their taxes going to support someone like me getting ahead. They just want to pay lip service to someone in my situation but then let me die rather than help. Why, you may ask, because they don't know me.

JohnConnor wrote:
In this economy I prefer to associate with those who are able to use their brains and are not led.

The first remark indicates that you are quite content to be led, you've chosen one set of hateful propaganda over another.

vickygleitz
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2013, 6:21 pm

WerewolfPoet wrote:
It seems as though you are taking positive steps to achieve your goals--kudos to you (people in general seem to struggle with this).

Is the Church that you are referring to a Unitarian Church, by any chance? I have heard many positive things about this particular sect.

Best of luck to you in your endeavors. :)

When I attend church it is a Unitarian church. It is awesome.

JSBACHlover
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2013, 11:56 pm

John, not only did you not directly answer my question, but you also abandoned this thread for feedback. You also, curiously, blamed the Tea Party for something that they have never done to you (because that party has never achieved any real ascendancy).

These two facts., like two points defining a line, lead me to believe that you are not interested in our feedback. Which also leads me to believe that the reason why you have been so lost for most of your life is because you have relied on your own belief systems -- which have never worked for you in the past, right? So why would they work for you now?

Never mind, of course -- because this time you know what you are doing, right?

Beware of Aspie solipsism!

We Aspies live in our own world, and so often our world and the real world do not intersect. You need good feedback. I guarantee you'll find yourself back in the same disillusioned place again in a month or so. And you'll be looking for a new church, too.