Page 6 of 6 [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2013, 2:50 pm

My Mom (a combination of Prussian - and Jewish - north German, and Bavarian south German) had been born with blonde hair, but by the time she reached adulthood, it had turned very dark brown.
My daughter (who is mostly German and Swedish) had been born with reddish blonde hair, which turned brassy blonde like her mother's, only to more recently transform into auburn color. My maternal Grandmother had had auburn hair, so that's where I suspect she got it from.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2013, 2:53 pm

"Black Irish are just faired skinned Irish who are descended from sailors shipwrecked from the Spanish Armada". Thats what Ive heard as well.

Irish in the USA were consider non-human, but not non-white (kinda like polar bears).

They were the first sizeable population of non-Protestants in the USA. That had alot to do with the prejudice.

The earlier protestant Irish were really Scotch Irish. The British got tired of trying to subdue the highland clans of scotland so the decided to kill two birds with one stone by shipping a bunch of highland scots to Ireland to help beat up on the Irish. These blended with the Irish and became the protestant northern Irish. They had some bad harvest years so some of protestant scotch Irish then moved again to the american colonies and used their highland fighting skills to become the appalachian frontiersmen- the Davy Crockets, and Andrew Jacksons.

Centuries later catholic southern ireland was hit by the potato famine and millons fled in desperation. They were so poor that they ususally did not venture to the frontier but stayed in the port they arrived. They fled to Liverpool england (and became the Beatles), and to Boston and New York to become ,John Kerry, John McCain, Lindsay Lohan, and every cop in the northeast USA!

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2013, 3:34 pm

The first wave of Protestant Irish from Ulster most likely left because of the practice of wrack renting by the English.They were mostly weavers and came over as indentured servants.
There are tons of fiddle reels and jigs,folklore and sayings that are almost identical to those in Ireland here in the Ozarks.It was preserved because of isolation.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2013, 4:22 pm

Black student goes to school dressed as Santa Clause. Teacher tells student Santa is white and asks him why he is wearing a Santa costume:

http://www.kob.com/article/stories/s324 ... q9uvdLuKa6

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2013, 4:59 pm

If the teacher has actually seen Santa she is in no shape to be teaching.

dizzywater
Toucan
Toucan

16 Dec 2013, 6:42 pm

Misslizard wrote:
If the teacher has actually seen Santa she is in no shape to be teaching.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2013, 11:38 pm

He was probably a charismatic..forceful man like this..and yah..he probably looked somewhat like him too..

In a younger version that Is..without the fancy uniform....

And yeah..that's a white dude...J
Ok..i can't get the image to work..so just imagine..Saddam Hussein....

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2013, 12:52 am

In the northern tradition, Old Nick was an immortal that lived in the wilderness, and killed people with an ax. His clothing was colored with blood. He was held back by the sun, but on midwinter, when the sun hangs in the southern sky, he could come into homes and towns, with his partner, Krampus Wolpolis.

Both carried a sack, Old Nick left gifts for those he approved of, and Krampus had a whip and chains that he used to capture bad children, which he took to the wilderness to eat.

Those who kept The World Tree, the old faith, ornamented it, and left gifts of food, got presents in reurn.

Krampus was a small hairy man with cloven hooves, horns, but hands.

As we learn from the Brothers Grimm, mid winter was a time of hunger, when excess children were taken into the forest and left there. Hansel and Gretel were left by the home of an old woman who ate children. It was a system, something like Meals on Wheels.

The Star on top of the World Tree is the Pole Star, the Sun comes and goes, the Pole Star never changes. It is the axel upon which the world turns, the one thing we know is true.

Old Nick waited for those who behaved badly toward the people, along the roads and trails, in the wilderness, with his ax. It was the same where I grew up, there were some in town that would never hunt the deer, or go fishing in the swamp. They knew Old Nick waited for them.

The Old Ways are best.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2013, 1:42 am

Inventor wrote:
In the northern tradition, Old Nick was an immortal that lived in the wilderness, and killed people with an ax. His clothing was colored with blood. He was held back by the sun, but on midwinter, when the sun hangs in the southern sky, he could come into homes and towns, with his partner, Krampus Wolpolis.

Both carried a sack, Old Nick left gifts for those he approved of, and Krampus had a whip and chains that he used to capture bad children, which he took to the wilderness to eat.

Those who kept The World Tree, the old faith, ornamented it, and left gifts of food, got presents in reurn.

Krampus was a small hairy man with cloven hooves, horns, but hands.

As we learn from the Brothers Grimm, mid winter was a time of hunger, when excess children were taken into the forest and left there. Hansel and Gretel were left by the home of an old woman who ate children. It was a system, something like Meals on Wheels.

The Star on top of the World Tree is the Pole Star, the Sun comes and goes, the Pole Star never changes. It is the axel upon which the world turns, the one thing we know is true.

Old Nick waited for those who behaved badly toward the people, along the roads and trails, in the wilderness, with his ax. It was the same where I grew up, there were some in town that would never hunt the deer, or go fishing in the swamp. They knew Old Nick waited for them.

The Old Ways are best.

Yes..the American Indian way of life..is certainly reflective of that too...

The closer one is to nature ..the closer one is to wh@reALLy IS....

In my estimation..and from that way of life..i knowNow..forgotten from before.....

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2013, 10:06 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R606UmqXdIU[/youtube]

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2013, 11:43 pm

Don't forget Krampus.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krampus

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2013, 7:36 pm

All of these Santas are White

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2bnAkb_RFE[/youtube]

So, Fox Noise might actually be on to something.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2013, 7:41 pm

[quote="ArrantPariah"][/quote]

Jesus (Y'hoshua) was a Judean Jew.

If you want to see what he probably looked like, see the lower image in this item:

http://www.differentspirit.org/

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2013, 8:32 pm