Page 2 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

pgd
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2010, 7:57 am

matt271 wrote:
does any1 really have a good definition of a soul?
i was thinking about it, and concluded anything that exists, such that the world around it exists from it's point of view, has a soul. it's soul being the concept of the world from its point of view. this would mean a tree has a soul, a rock, an animal, and of course, people.
who agrees? who disagrees? who has their own definition of a soul, or some kind of official definition from their religion or w/e?

---

A soul is a word invented which seems to symbol the idea of life - of movement - in humans and animals.

When humans and animals die natural deaths, all movement stops/the souls of the humans or animals are gone.

The life of the humans/animals is gone/the souls of the humans/the animals have departed (so to speak).

Some non-profit religions have jumped on the idea of a soul and have invented their own denominational, imaginary definitions of the soul.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2010, 8:12 am

pgd wrote:

When humans and animals die natural deaths, all movement stops/the souls of the humans or animals are gone.

The life of the humans/animals is gone/the souls of the humans/the animals have departed (so to speak).

Gone? Gone where? Where does the tick-tock of a windup clock go when the mainspring has broken?

ruveyn

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2010, 9:44 am

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

kxmode
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

17 Sep 2010, 7:16 pm

matt271 wrote:
does any1 really have a good definition of a soul?
i was thinking about it, and concluded anything that exists, such that the world around it exists from it's point of view, has a soul. it's soul being the concept of the world from its point of view. this would mean a tree has a soul, a rock, an animal, and of course, people.
who agrees? who disagrees? who has their own definition of a soul, or some kind of official definition from their religion or w/e?

In the Bible, “soul” is translated from the Hebrew ne′phesh and the Greek psy·khe′. Bible usage shows the soul to be a person or an animal or the life that a person or an animal enjoys. To many persons, however, “soul” means the immaterial or spirit part of a human being that survives the death of the physical body. Others understand it to be the principle of life. But these latter views are not Bible teachings.

What does the Bible say that helps us to understand what the soul is?

Genesis 2:7: “Jehovah God proceeded to form the man out of dust from the ground and to blow into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man came to be a living soul.” Notice that this does not say that man was given a soul but that he became a soul, a living person. The part of the Hebrew word here rendered “soul” is ne′phesh. KJ, AS, and Dy agree with that rendering. RS, JB, NAB read “being.” NE says “creature.” Kx reads “person.”

1 Corinthians 15:45: “It is even so written: ‘The first man Adam became a living soul.’ The last Adam became a life-giving spirit.” So the Christian Greek Scriptures agree with the Hebrew Scriptures as to what the soul is. The Greek word here translated “soul” is the accusative case of psy·khe′. KJ, AS, Dy, JB, NAB, and Kx also read “soul.” RS, NE, and TEV say “being.”

1 Peter 3:20: “In Noah’s days . . . a few people, that is, eight souls, were carried safely through the water.” The Greek word here translated “souls” is psy·khai′, the plural form of psy·khe′. KJ, AS, Dy, and Kx also read “souls.” JB and TEV say “people”; RS, NE, and NAB use “persons.”

Genesis 9:5: “Besides that, your blood of your souls [or, “lives”; Hebrew, from ne′phesh] shall I ask back.” Here the soul is said to have blood.

Joshua 11:11: “They went striking every soul [Hebrew, ne′phesh] that was in it with the edge of the sword.” The soul is here shown to be something that can be touched by the sword, so these souls could not have been spirits.

Where does the Bible say that animals are souls?

Genesis 1:20, 21, 24, 25: “God went on to say: ‘Let the waters swarm forth a swarm of living souls* . . . ’ And God proceeded to create the great sea monsters and every living soul that moves about, which the waters swarmed forth according to their kinds, and every winged flying creature according to its kind. . . . And God went on to say: ‘Let the earth put forth living souls according to their kinds . . . ’ And God proceeded to make the wild beast of the earth according to its kind and the domestic animal according to its kind and every moving animal of the ground according to its kind.” *In Hebrew the word here is ne′phesh. Ro reads “soul.” Some translations use the rendering “creature[s].”

Leviticus 24:17, 18: “In case a man strikes any soul [Hebrew, ne′phesh] of mankind fatally, he should be put to death without fail. And the fatal striker of the soul [Hebrew, ne′phesh] of a domestic animal should make compensation for it, soul for soul.” Notice that the same Hebrew word for soul is applied to both mankind and animals.

Revelation 16:3: “It became blood as of a dead man, and every living soul* died, yes, the things in the sea.” Thus the Christian Greek Scriptures also show animals to be souls. *In Greek the word here is psy·khe′. KJ, AS, and Dy render it “soul.” Some translators use the term “creature” or “thing.”

Do other scholars who are not Jehovah’s Witnesses acknowledge that this is what the Bible says the soul is?

“There is no dichotomy [division] of body and soul in the O[ld] T[estament]. The Israelite saw things concretely, in their totality, and thus he considered men as persons and not as composites. The term nepeš [ne′phesh], though translated by our word soul, never means soul as distinct from the body or the individual person. . . . The term [psy·khe′] is the N[ew] T[estament] word corresponding with nepeš. It can mean the principle of life, life itself, or the living being.”—New Catholic Encyclopedia (1967), Vol. XIII, pp. 449, 450.

“The Hebrew term for ‘soul’ (nefesh, that which breathes) was used by Moses . . . , signifying an ‘animated being’ and applicable equally to nonhuman beings. . . . New Testament usage of psychē (‘soul’) was comparable to nefesh.”—The New Encyclopædia Britannica (1976), Macropædia, Vol. 15, p. 152.

“The belief that the soul continues its existence after the dissolution of the body is a matter of philosophical or theological speculation rather than of simple faith, and is accordingly nowhere expressly taught in Holy Scripture.”—The Jewish Encyclopedia (1910), Vol. VI, p. 564.

Can the human soul die?

Ezekiel 18:4: “Look! All the souls—to me they belong. As the soul of the father so likewise the soul of the son—to me they belong. The soul* that is sinning—it itself will die.” *Hebrew reads “the ne′phesh.” KJ, AS, RS, NE, and Dy render it “the soul.” Some translations say “the man” or “the person.”

Matthew 10:28: “Do not become fearful of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul [or, “life”]; but rather be in fear of him that can destroy both soul* and body in Gehenna.” *Greek has the accusative case of psy·khe′. KJ, AS, RS, NE, TEV, Dy, JB, and NAB all render it “soul.”

Acts 3:23: “Indeed, any soul [Greek, psy·khe′] that does not listen to that Prophet will be completely destroyed from among the people.”

Is the soul the same as the spirit?

Ecclesiastes 12:7: “Then the dust returns to the earth just as it happened to be and the spirit [or, life-force; Hebrew, ru′ach] itself returns to the true God who gave it.” Notice that the Hebrew word for spirit is ru′ach; but the word translated soul is ne′phesh. The text does not mean that at death the spirit travels all the way to the personal presence of God; rather, any prospect for the person to live again rests with God. In similar usage, we may say that, if required payments are not made by the buyer of a piece of property, the property “returns” to its owner. KJ, AS, RS, NE, and Dy all here render ru′ach as “spirit.” NAB reads “life breath.”

Ecclesiastes 3:19: “There is an eventuality as respects the sons of mankind and an eventuality as respects the beast, and they have the same eventuality. As the one dies, so the other dies; and they all have but one spirit [Hebrew, ru′ach].” Thus both mankind and beasts are shown to have the same ru′ach, or spirit.

Hebrews 4:12: “The word of God is alive and exerts power and is sharper than any two-edged sword and pierces even to the dividing of soul [Greek, psy·khes′; “life,” NE] and spirit [Greek, pneu′ma·tos], and of joints and their marrow, and is able to discern thoughts and intentions of the heart.” Observe that the Greek word for “spirit” is not the same as the word for “soul.”

Does conscious life continue for a person after the spirit leaves the body?

Psalms 146:4: “His spirit [Hebrew, from ru′ach] goes out, he goes back to his ground; in that day his thoughts do perish.” NAB, Ro, Yg, and Dy [145:4] here render ru′ach as “spirit.” Some translations say “breath.” Also Psalm 104:29

What is the origin of Christendom’s belief in an immaterial, immortal soul?

“The Christian concept of a spiritual soul created by God and infused into the body at conception to make man a living whole is the fruit of a long development in Christian philosophy. Only with Origen [died c. 254 C.E.] in the East and St. Augustine [died 430 C.E.] in the West was the soul established as a spiritual substance and a philosophical concept formed of its nature. . . . His [Augustine’s] doctrine . . . owed much (including some shortcomings) to Neoplatonism.”—New Catholic Encyclopedia (1967), Vol. XIII, pp. 452, 454.

“The concept of immortality is a product of Greek thinking, whereas the hope of a resurrection belongs to Jewish thought. . . . Following Alexander’s conquests Judaism gradually absorbed Greek concepts.”—Dictionnaire Encyclopédique de la Bible (Valence, France; 1935), edited by Alexandre Westphal, Vol. 2, p. 557.

“Immortality of the soul is a Greek notion formed in ancient mystery cults and elaborated by the philosopher Plato.”—Presbyterian Life, May 1, 1970, p. 35.

“Do we believe that there is such a thing as death? . . . Is it not the separation of soul and body? And to be dead is the completion of this; when the soul exists in herself, and is released from the body and the body is released from the soul, what is this but death? . . . And does the soul admit of death? No. Then the soul is immortal? Yes.”—Plato’s “Phaedo,” Secs. 64, 105, as published in Great Books of the Western World (1952), edited by R. M. Hutchins, Vol. 7, pp. 223, 245, 246.

“The problem of immortality, we have seen, engaged the serious attention of the Babylonian theologians. . . . Neither the people nor the leaders of religious thought ever faced the possibility of the total annihilation of what once was called into existence. Death was a passage to another kind of life.”—The Religion of Babylonia and Assyria (Boston, 1898), M. Jastrow, Jr., p. 556.

------------------------------------

I hope this answered some of your questions. The information above was taken from the book Reasoning from the Scriptures, pages 375 - 380, published by the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society of Pennsylvania. www.watchtower.org

The former things have passed away."

pgd
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2010, 9:13 am

Kosmonaut wrote:
You have two souls.
Look at the bottom of your feet; you will see them both.

---

You know I had never thought about that. You're right. There are two. Now, I'm a believer.

What you see is what you get.

pgd
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2010, 9:15 am

Griff wrote:
The superior frontal gyrus seems to be responsible for self-awareness.

---

Some persons believe the idea of God is housed in the right temporal lobe (simplified).

pgd
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2010, 9:29 am

Corvus wrote:
Souls are why I chop people's heads of with my sword and absorb their power.

In mortal terms, I "eat" souls like you "eat" KFC.

---

How disgusting although some American Indians would eat the parts of others they had killed to absorb the courage shown by the deceased prior to their dying.

At least in the Bible, David removed the head from Goliath (Old Testament) and a politician removed the head from John the Baptist (New Testament) but they did view those items as food.

In contrast to that, Shrek said in the movie, Shrek 1, that, as a green orge, squeezing the jelly out of peoples' eyes and putting that on toast was a tasty meal for him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shrek

---

Thank goodness that Hollywood is so civilized that it would never stoop so low as to make a movie on the topic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hannibal_(film)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gladiator
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Little_Shop_of_Horrors

---

Steve Martin — Jonas Nightengale

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leap_of_Faith_(film)

pgd
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2010, 9:40 am

ruveyn wrote:
pgd wrote:

Gone? Gone where? Where does the tick-tock of a windup clock go when the mainspring has broken?

ruveyn

---

ruveyn - Don't know.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leap_of_Faith_(film)

The good tick-tocks go to Celestial City, the bad tick-tocks to heck.

http://www.pilgrimsprogressthemovie.com/ (film - religious science fiction movie told as a dream)

(...just kidding...) - pgd

. . .

http://www.beliefnet.com/

pgd
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2010, 9:51 am

skafather84 wrote:

---

Yes, the whole area of certain molecules being able to affect the brain/mind is very interesting and has provided new insights into defining religious experiences.

Even the area of molecules being able to temporarily reduce epilepsy seizures in some persons is most interesting.

About Dilantin - an epilepsy medicine

http://www.remarkablemedicine.com/ (Dilantin is an epilepsy medicine)

---

History of LSD - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The psychedelic drug/entheogen LSD was first synthesized by the Swiss chemist Albert Hofmann in the Sandoz (now Novartis) laboratories in Basel, ...
http://www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_LSD - Cached - Similar

(Google)

Asmodeus
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2010, 10:21 pm

Something that comes after a gospel, yet before the funk.

Ok, it needs work.

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2010, 5:02 am

If we have a soul then I recknon its got something to do with electromagnetic energy.

I generally have a materialist attitude to life but I would say if we have a soul or if souls exist in their own right then I don't reckon there is a 1 to 1 mapping between living things and souls. Some people could have more than 1 soul and some people have no soul at all.

Also if I have a soul I reckon I my body has been occupied by many different souls over my life. And when my body dies I don't think any of those souls will notice because they are off somewhere else occupying something else.....

blah blah blah.

I think I babbled a bit there. But they are just my thoughts.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2010, 6:39 am

Your personality and sense of self. But I don't see it as being supernatural in meaning because your personality comes from your brain which is a purely biological thing.

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2010, 8:14 am

I've travelled in different countries,
I've travelled foreign lands,
I've found nobody to tell me,
What is the soul of a man?

The year is still young.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2010, 8:25 am

The idea of a soul as a self standing object or substance is uttermost balderdash.

ruveyn

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2010, 10:41 am

kxmode, a couple of things: Hebrew scriptures indicate the existence of the soul beyond physical death. A place of eternal torment was not unknown to the ancient Hebrews, nor was it unknown to other cultures and religions. Many people make the mistake that Hebrew concepts of Hell are products of Zoroastrianism, but it's entirely plausible that the idea of Hell predates Zoroaster. The ancient Hebrews acknowledged the existence of Sheol, analogous to the Greek Hades. It wasn't a place of punishment, necessarily, but rather the greater realm of the dead, apparently a place of eternal sleep. Sheol is understood many times in the OT as a real place and is referred to in different contexts alternately as "the Pit" or "the Grave." At all times is it understood as the final residence of the soul. Such cannot be if the soul ceases to exist in death. Hell, on the other hand, IS described by Jesus in several ways. It is "darkness," "where the worm never dies," "the lake of fire and brimstone," "Gehenna" (compared to the burning trash heap outside Jerusalem, and so on. Contemporary understanding is that these images are descriptive of an existence eternally separated from God's presence. If there is no soul that survives physical death, then how can it be said that the lost are sent to such a place?

The other thing is that the belief in an immaterial, immortal soul is not a product of Greek thinking. Sure, it's entirely possible that the Greeks drew their own conclusions about the destiny of the soul. But that doesn't mean Hebrew concepts and Greek concepts couldn't both have been either arrived at independently (Greek) or as a direct revelation from God (Hebrew). Jesus, being the Son of God, would have been more concerned with teaching the truth of the Kingdom of Heaven and the destiny of the soul rather than accommodating prevailing philosophical and theological trends. In fact, we know the ruling sects of the priesthood were averse to outsiders. Jesus Himself, though in a different context, even told a Gentile woman who begged for His help that He came to feed His children (Israel), not their "dogs." Jesus wasn't interested in perpetuating any kind of outside influence, though we know He did work miracles among outsiders (such as granting the Gentile woman's request). From a theological perspective, Jesus was only interested in maintaining the truth, not appeasement through telling people what they wanted to hear. Therefore, the teachings of Jesus would not have been the product of Greek thinking, but God-thinking.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2010, 11:50 am

pgd wrote:
skafather84 wrote:

---

Yes, the whole area of certain molecules being able to affect the brain/mind is very interesting and has provided new insights into defining religious experiences.

Even the area of molecules being able to temporarily reduce epilepsy seizures in some persons is most interesting.

About Dilantin - an epilepsy medicine

http://www.remarkablemedicine.com/ (Dilantin is an epilepsy medicine)

---

History of LSD - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The psychedelic drug/entheogen LSD was first synthesized by the Swiss chemist Albert Hofmann in the Sandoz (now Novartis) laboratories in Basel, ...
http://www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_LSD - Cached - Similar

(Google)

Triptamines in general are pretty interesting. There's interesting studies and results coming in on psilocybin mushrooms which are, at the chemical level, triptamines like DMT. With the psilocybin studies, it's showing that those trips are actually helping with depression and also depression in terminal patients.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson