Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Kiki1256
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2013, 6:35 pm

I hate how the world is made for the lucky people who just live their lives and take things lightly, laughing all the time and only feeling excruciating emotional pain at funerals. People with mental illnesses are supposed to pretend to be "normal" or else people think they're dangerous. Most dangerous people have mental illnesses, but that doesn't that the converse is true--that most people with mental illnesses are dangerous. In fact, many people who are extremely compassionate and take things seriously become depressed and anxious because they can't just take things lightly and have fun. I have suffered from anxiety longer than I can remember, OCD since the age of eight, and, very recently, depression. I'm not dysfunctional or mean, just unhappy sometimes. And I'm not always unhappy, anyway. There are times when I really enjoy myself. I just feel like people should learn more about mental illnesses and how people with mental illnesses are not "freaks"--unless they are also sadists.

MisterE
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 Dec 2013, 2:11 pm

Hey there Kiki, sorry to hear you're not feeling well. The first thing that popped out at me was "most dangerous people have mental illnesses." Do you have a source for that, or is that just what you believe in your mind? I'm almost positive that most dangerous people do not suffer from depression, anxiety, or OCD. Psychopathy, maybe, but that's quite a bit different!

I hope no one's calling you a "freak" for being depressed or anxious. Sounds like you're hanging around some intolerant, ignorant jerks if so. Luckily for us, a lot more light is being shown on mental illness, as people realize it's not a lack of character, but real issues with our chemistry. I think as you get older and hang around more mature people you'll find more acceptance. People in high school can just be cruel, but it gets much better.

Otherside
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Dec 2013, 2:25 pm

Yup. Even sometimes on support forums, even on here, I'll come across posts that say "stay away from people that are bipolar" or "stay away from borderlines" because they'll f**k up your lives. They treat us as though we are not humans and capable of functioning. And these are the very same people that post about people never understanding there ASD's and wishing they would understand better.

I've been called manipulative, dangerous, a psychopath on this forum. In real life, somebody told me to go "lock myself away in an institution somewhere for the good of other people" (because I'm apparently so dangerous I can't function in life.) and to "go kill myself there's no hope for you you're a drain on society." I get shocked looks upon someone discovering I'm bipolar, and somebody actually asking "so what are you doing in society?"

Kiki1256
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2013, 4:31 pm

Otherside wrote:
Yup. Even sometimes on support forums, even on here, I'll come across posts that say "stay away from people that are bipolar" or "stay away from borderlines" because they'll f**k up your lives. They treat us as though we are not humans and capable of functioning. And these are the very same people that post about people never understanding there ASD's and wishing they would understand better.

I've been called manipulative, dangerous, a psychopath on this forum. In real life, somebody told me to go "lock myself away in an institution somewhere for the good of other people" (because I'm apparently so dangerous I can't function in life.) and to "go kill myself there's no hope for you you're a drain on society." I get shocked looks upon someone discovering I'm bipolar, and somebody actually asking "so what are you doing in society?"

That's horrible! I'm sure you're not dangerous! People with bipolar disorder can do great things. Mary Lambert, the woman in "Same Love," has bipolar disorder, and she is an amazing person--she sings beautiful songs and even gave a speech on YouTube about self-acceptance. Those people saying horrible things are ignorant.