Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

dreamingofhome
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Dec 2013, 8:49 pm

I was just thinking today about the movie "Elf" with Will Ferrel and I realized that he definitely fits the profile of someone with AS. Think about it; Christmas special interest, intense focus in relation to that special interest, childlike, oblivious in social situations, takes things literally...

Of course in the movie this is supposed to be due to his inexperience with the real world, but I just thought it would be something cool to point out. Makes me like the movie more.

Lostiehere
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Dec 2013, 11:08 pm

One of my ALL time favorite movies...no matter the season or temperature outside!! ! :-) I love it when he yells "Santa" and behaves like a child. The best cup of coffee in the world part cracks me up too...cause she is like, umm...it's just a crappy cup of coffee - lol. And yes...I do think Buddy the Elf could definitely be on the spectrum.

AQ Test Score: 37

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2013, 12:18 am

i think if you changed the fact that he was an elf, deprived of Human interactions in a modern world, he could be a very accurate description of someone with aspergers syndrome or autism spectrum disorder. that being said, in the movie, he is simply following the social norms of being an elf, and has no idea that being an elf is different than being human.

i love elf as well, i feel relatable, and ESPECIALLY when he gets excited about seeing Santa. :D its like when i see a Sonic Actions figure at Toys R us or a sonic poster,

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2013, 1:29 am

My Aunt sent me this movie as a present one year, saying that Buddy the Elf reminded her of me.

It's a really cute movie, and I can definitely see similarities in his behavior to Asperger's Syndrome.

rapidroy
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2013, 1:30 am

I pretty much agree with Zombie Bride, while his awkward social interactions may resemble someone with AS its clearly more from culture shock then anything else and because of that it never occurred to me to think that Elf actually had AS.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2013, 2:00 am

I always thought he was aspie like. I knew it was due to not being out in the real world so he never learned the social norms.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

IrishEyes
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2013, 10:32 am

I love! that movie. As someone already mentioned the "world's best cup of coffee" part is hilarious and when he screams "SANTA" and starts jumping up and down. He does remind me of a Aspie a bit with some of the things he says and does.

dreamingofhome

16 Dec 2013, 11:11 am

rapidroy wrote:
I pretty much agree with Zombie Bride, while his awkward social interactions may resemble someone with AS its clearly more from culture shock then anything else and because of that it never occurred to me to think that Elf actually had AS.

Exactly. His similarities to those on the spectrum is coincidental, but definitely still relatable.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2013, 12:21 pm

(Thread moved from Autism discussion to fairyland).

LtlPinkCoupe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2013, 11:15 pm

I suppose it's possible that Buddy the Elf could be construed as having AS, even tho he is mainly behaving within the parameters of being an elf. :D

One of my favorite moments from that movie is when he apologizes to the family he stays with by saying something like, "Sorry for ruining your lives and cramming 20 cookies into the VCR." :lol: That will never not be funny to me.

"IT'S NOT FAIR!" "Life isn't fair, Calvin." "I know, but why isn't it ever unfair in MY favor?" ~ from Calvin and Hobbes