Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Jayo
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2013, 9:34 pm

Or felt the urge to laugh in an inappropriate setting?

I have observed this behaviour in another Aspie guy, as well as (rarely) in myself. It used to be more frequent in my youth, when someone - either a peer or my stepmother - would yell in my face, I actually fought back the urge to laugh, even though the situation was definitely NOT funny. Even around the same time, in university lectures, I found myself imagining that one professor's head turned into a giant potato with tentacles, and I started laughing but pretending that I was having a sneezing or sinus fit, and went out to the washroom where I burst into laughter in the hall before returning. :D

The students in the hall must have thought I was nuts!! !

I'm not schizophrenic or bipolar, I'm only Aspergers & ADHD with mild Tourettes. But on a rare occasion, I got bitten by the hilarity bug out of nowhere. It probably happens to NTs once in a while, but with the same frequency, I don't know.

I've been to a couple of funerals, but I NEVER felt the urge to laugh there, unlike Mr. Bean. 8O

And speaking of movies there was one time where some guy was sprayed with some kind of toxic gas where it showed his face go contorted with his tongue out and he seemed to suffocate, then I laughed out loud. The girl I was with at the time thought I was kind of bonkers and she was probably right. (BTW, the character wasn't one of the bad guys, he was a victim and a neutral character I guess you could say).

I would infer that this sort of urge to laugh in an improper setting could well be an Asperger behaviour based on difficulty with filtering inner thoughts. But it seems to me to be more of a Tourette's thing. Maybe. I mean it's not as sudden and spontaneous as Tourettes tics, it starts brewing with an irregular thought, to a point where it's VERY hard to hold back the laughter.

FishStickNick
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2013, 9:39 pm

Yes, I've had the urge to laugh at inappropriate times. What's more common, though, is that I'll laugh and giggle seemingly at random because some random mundane thing would amuse me.

I've also caught myself smiling or smirking inappropriately. I remember getting in an argument with my mom and her getting upset at me because she thought I was smiling.

Naturalist
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Dec 2013, 9:46 pm

Definitely.

It's usually the result of the fact that I am thinking about something totally unrelated to the situation at hand, or that I have noticed something absurd or ironic which others have overlooked.

Have to say, I once disrupted a funeral I wasn't even attending, because I started to laugh VERY loudly (I was over a hundred feet away, talking with a friend...the cemetery is one of the few quiet places in town, where I can actually think).

Also, frequently if I start to laugh, it's hard to stop. I will laugh until I cry. Which makes it even more inappropriate...

Norepinephrine
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Dec 2013, 10:08 pm

I tend to do this a lot. My mind alone can envision scenarios I find hilarious, often causing me to burst out laughing or leaving me with an odd grin of my face. The behaviour has landed me in many odd situations and has left me subjected to judgmental gazes of others. It's actually really hard to control and being looked down upon by others only makes me feel worse about it. I think autistics generally have issues regulating emotions.

Wags
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Dec 2013, 10:24 pm

Omg yes. In school, I laughed at everything. While we were in the middle of a serious lesson, me and my friend who sat across from me would laugh at everything the teacher said, our faces were bright red from trying to hold the laughter in. This happened almost every day.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2013, 10:40 pm

Yeah.

I've been in trouble several times for doing it (teachers mainly).

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2013, 10:41 pm

Not laugh, but I smile at inappropriate times. I smile really big when I get really nervous, it's a completely involuntary reaction. Sometimes it will be when someone delivers bad news to me, or it will be when I am giving a presentation to a group of people. Neither one is a time you particularly want to have a gigantic grin on your face. I try my best to control it but that almost makes it worse.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2013, 11:03 pm

I tend to laugh at times when I don't know what to say, not because I find anything funny. I just do it automatically.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2013, 12:26 am

I used to laugh whenever I witnessed my nieces and nephews getting scolded/punished. It wasn't even that funny to me; inside I felt bad for them. But I would get the urge to start laughing when it happened and sometimes had trouble controlling it.

I also laughed uncontrollably during that scene in the Jim Carrey version of The Grinch, the flashback scene where he gets bullied in school and destroys the Christmas decorations. I dreaded watching that movie with my best friend during a sleepover because I knew she and her mom would think I was insensitive for laughing at such a sad part. What's especially weird is that I should have sympathized with the character during that scene, since I was a victim of bullying myself.

A habit that I have carried over from my childhood is that I will giggle and laugh over spontaneous thoughts that enter my mind, even in public. I can remember one such instance was at the Y a few weeks ago. I was swimming in the pool and decided to read the rules. One of them said something along the lines of, "you will respect the authority of the lifeguards", and I burst out laughing because I immediately thought of Cartman from South Park ("Respect mah authoritah!") I got some... strange looks from the other swimmers.

xenon13
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2013, 2:12 am

Always... even in court!

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2013, 3:05 am

I always wonder if this is cause by the fact that we maybe have drifted off into are little fantasy world and when something funny happens in are little fantasy world. We act it out in the real world unaware of are surroundings in the real world at that given moment.

TheSperg
Toucan
Toucan

16 Dec 2013, 4:25 am

It happens to me when the situation seems forced or off somehow, like a flustered boss rampaging around the office screaming at people and he just looks so idiotic I can't help but laugh.

Then I get in trouble.

dottsie
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Dec 2013, 9:15 am

Yeah, I do this. Usually when one of my parents is yelling at me or my sister, I'll be trying really hard not to smile I don't find the situation funny at all, it's just a thing I do for some reason.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2013, 9:25 am

Hahahaha haha

xenon13
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2013, 12:26 pm

In court, before trial, judge read from the bench her judgement from another case...

"He called him an animal, which is an insult in their culture"... Now that's funny!

IreneS
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Dec 2013, 1:56 pm

Yes, I laugh when my boyfriend cries. I often smile widely if someone's telling me off. Trying not to do it just makes me do it more. I sometimes burst out in laugh because of my own thoughts and random silliness, probably makes me look crazy. If I then think that I should try to get myself together to appear more normal I will laugh at myself even more because it seems even more crazy to me to care so much about other peoples opinions.