Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

sammie96
Raven
Raven

16 Dec 2013, 8:04 am

I got my dx recently, and it seems to me I've become more isolated since then. Anybody else have a similar experience?

Radiofixr
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2013, 8:17 am

Yes I have felt that way and even knowing hasnt help in getting out more-it is very lonely

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2013, 8:42 am

No, the isolation has always been like this for me. The only difference now is that I know why.

sammie96
Raven
Raven

16 Dec 2013, 8:47 am

I'm having a hard time getting myself out of the house. I was never the least bit social, and don't want to be. But I used to get out for walks in almost any kind of weather.
I'm also much quieter and more serious at home. Part of me feels that I'm giving myself permission to stay home and do what I want, rather than forcing myself outside when I don't feel like it.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2013, 3:01 pm

Well, I got divorced immediately after being diagnosed, not directly because of the diagnosis, but because the DX allowed me to qualify for disability, which allowed me to escape a very unhappy situation. My career had already crumbled out from under me, due to technological changes in the industry, so yes, I've ended up extremely isolated, but I can't say the diagnosis caused it. I've been virtually isolated my entire life, it just seems I've exhausted my opportunities for finding any temporary relief from it. :?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2013, 4:37 pm

Somewhat less isolated in that I go to several support groups a month. Even though it is fellow aspies I still have to force myself to walk into that room. A lot of money was spent to get that diagnoses so I I would feel guilty if I did not put in effort to get positives out of it.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

BenoitMtl
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Dec 2013, 8:51 pm

sammie96 wrote:
I got my dx recently, and it seems to me I've become more isolated since then. Anybody else have a similar experience?

It happened to me too. I finally met one woman through Internet dating and we are happily married since more than 5 years now. She understands me and we complement each other perfectly.

em_tsuj
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2013, 9:31 pm

Isolation has been a constant in my life. My diagnosis does make me feel more emotionally isolated sometimes. It gets frustrating trying to explain it and having no one care. However, I am better with social skills because I am learning to work around the AS. Being better with social skills gets me rejected less so I feel like more of an equal member of society. It is a lot easier to accept not knowing certain social things, having to learn them, or explain social differences than it is to feel like a loser or a weirdo angry and rejected for unknown reasons. I can learn and adapt because I am smart. I just need to know the exact nature of the problem. You can't fix being a loser or a weirdo or a freak. That's the difference a diagnosis has made for me. I am also lowering my expectations. That is the hard part for me. I will never be normal (or as I was led to believe, a future leader of the United States). I just want to be happy.

CapriciousAgent
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Dec 2013, 9:35 pm

In my teens and early twenties, I avoided parties and large social gatherings, but would go out and do things, including going to concerts and movies (albeit alone). When my friends were around, I was pretty unwavering in what I would and would not do. If I knew it would make me uncomfortable, I'd stay home or do something else while they did the other thing.

Since my middle twenties, with less reason to go out and do things, I've felt more and more isolated and lonely, but content, as I dislike the alternative. I enjoy interacting with people online, and to a limited degree in person, but as for the latter, the opportunity does not arise as much. I don't know if I am getting worse, or it is a side effect of getting older. Either way, I guess I would say I'm more isolated than I've been in the past.

Asperation
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Dec 2013, 11:31 pm

I have always been isolated for as long as I can remember. I did have some kind of friends but never really felt totally connected. I remember when other kids talked to me at school I never knew how to respond, so I would clam up. To this day I don't think I really know exactly how to have or be a friend, I am just so used to being a loner. At the same time I feel alone and need at least a best friend.

My DX never really changed my lack of social skills or made me feel any more isolated than I was, I think that for me the isolation has increased as I've gotten older. What I have noticed though is the DX has made me a little more conscious of being different, although I have always felt more normal than the so called normal average.