Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2013, 1:22 pm

The whole article is HERE

Quote:
A teacher who was relieved of her job after it was discovered that she had been systematically torturing a young autistic boy by making him eat crayons soaked in hot sauce will be coming back to school.

Quote:
Gomez, a teacher for children with special needs, vehemently denied making the child eat the crayons, insisting that she was trying to prevent him from chewing on them by soaking them in hot sauce for several days and then putting them in a bag labelled with the child’s name.

Shoddy and biased journalism aside, as an autistic adult... I have to ask the question... What if she is telling the truth? What if the child was eating crayons, which can cause intestinal blockage... We do odd things at times... In some of the older books about special needs child, the technique she described was advocated to correct ingestion behaviors...

It may not be normal, but it has worked in certain cases...

So... what if she is telling the truth... the courts found in her favor... meaning there had to be witnesses to corroborate, and if the school doesn't want her back, I doubt it came from that end, but more likely the other students...

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2013, 2:02 pm

I am sure the teacher's intent was if the crayons had hot sauce on them, the kid would keep them out of his mouth because it tastes so bad and it's hot. What if she had something else on them like a spice or something sour? That is something parents do with their kids to break them from sucking their thumb. What if the kid were NT and she had them dipped in hot sauce, would she still be facing the same lawsuit if the kid was also eating crayons?

What is she was telling the truth? I would wondering how it was assumed she was making the boy eat crayons as a punishment dipped in hot sauce. Did the autistic boy make it up and his parents believed him and so did the school and the school board? One of the reasons why I wouldn't want to be a teacher. Too scary. You may do something and a parent doesn't agree with it and bam you are facing a lawsuit or getting fired and I know parents do make up stories sometimes about teachers to get them into trouble. But the parents can also get in trouble for that if they found out it was all made up.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

kcizzle
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Dec 2013, 4:31 pm

Way back when, my parents weaned my little brother off his bottle and on to a beaker by putting hot sauce on the bottle teat. I think this was pretty common in the 80s so it is odd that people assumed the teacher acted maliciously when she could have been trying a similar technique.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2013, 5:52 pm

Remember when you could buy those little wax soda bottles that had sweet candy-flavored liquid in them? You could bite the top off the bottle and drink the juice, then chew up the wax bottle.

They should make those with SriRacha in them. :D

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2013, 6:11 pm

kcizzle wrote:
Way back when, my parents weaned my little brother off his bottle and on to a beaker by putting hot sauce on the bottle teat. I think this was pretty common in the 80s so it is odd that people assumed the teacher acted maliciously when she could have been trying a similar technique.

The kid was special needs and people react more when normal discipline is done to a special needs child. They find things acceptable to do to normal kids but not to special kids. Some commenters made a good point though about what if the kid was allergic, did she talk to the parents first about it before doing it? What if the boy forgot and put it up to his lips. It's like how we may put something on our hands and then we forget when we rub our eyes.

I knew a mom who spanked her girl who had Down's syndrome and I am sure that would shock people too but it was affective. She also got time outs too. Her mom just didn't let her act up or be mean.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2013, 12:12 am

People are reactionary about kids in general, and special needs kids in particular.

They're either horrible spoiled brats, or they're saints and angels and martyrs-in-waiting. Demons that need to be beaten straight, or poor damaged things to be coddled.

They're not either one-- they're people is all. People with struggles. Sometimes they have more struggles, sometimes harder struggles, sometimes just different ones-- and sometimes, the same ones.

Sometimes strengths, but that's another post.

It's the other end of the stick, right?? Instead of reactionary defamation, it's reactionary activism.

It's a MAD, MAD, MAD, MAD world out there. I have to wonder if it was always this insane, or if this is a relatively new thing.