Punk, Post Punk, Goth Rock/Deathrock anyone?

Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

SwampThing258
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Dec 2013, 9:11 pm

anyone on here fans of bands ranging from the Cramps to Bauhaus and Christian Death to Killing Joke, New York Dolls, Asylum Party, Specimen, Siouxsie and the Banshees, the Dead Boys, Black Flag, etc ?

I've been running goth and punk zines since I was 17 so it's nice to meet others who like the same kind of music, been involved with the subcultures for just as long and djing for six years.

dobrolvr
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Dec 2013, 9:32 pm

I love punk! I was just listening to Black Flag's Nervous Breakdown, not more than ten minutes ago. ;)

SwampThing258
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Dec 2013, 9:34 pm

awesome ! they were one of the first bands alongside the Bad Brains and TSOL that got me into hardcore punk, I've got the bars tatted on my left arm :)

salamandaqwerty
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2013, 9:36 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6RoWUGz520[/youtube]

SwampThing258
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Dec 2013, 9:43 pm

oooh good choice, my other favorite is Creature From the Black Leather Lagoon

dobrolvr
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Dec 2013, 9:48 pm

I love punk! I was just listening to Black Flag's Nervous Breakdown, not more than ten minutes ago. ;)

salamandaqwerty
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2013, 10:02 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UW8UlY8eXCk&list=PL286F4FF8E9EDC121[/youtube]

dobrolvr
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Dec 2013, 11:06 pm

SwampThing258 wrote:
awesome ! they were one of the first bands alongside the Bad Brains and TSOL that got me into hardcore punk, I've got the bars tatted on my left arm :)

Yeah, they're great! Listening to Frank Turner right now...he's got the bars tattooed on him as well. :)

SwampThing258
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Dec 2013, 11:14 pm

nice, I've been watching the whole Flag/Black Flag reunion debacle, shame Greg Ginn basically chased Ron Reyes off, he was one of my favorite frontmen for the band next to Keith Morris

dobrolvr
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Dec 2013, 11:19 pm

SwampThing258 wrote:
nice, I've been watching the whole Flag/Black Flag reunion debacle, shame Greg Ginn basically chased Ron Reyes off, he was one of my favorite frontmen for the band next to Keith Morris

Agreed. Keith Morris is definitely my favorite.

SwampThing258
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Dec 2013, 11:24 pm

yup, the first time I heard BF was with Morris on vocals and it still stands out to me as what good hardcore should sound like, I know it's popular to hate on Henry Rollins but his voice just never did it for me, it sounds too forced, kind of like a drill sergeant trying to sing while barking orders haha

dobrolvr
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Dec 2013, 11:28 pm

SwampThing258 wrote:
yup, the first time I heard BF was with Morris on vocals and it still stands out to me as what good hardcore should sound like, I know it's popular to hate on Henry Rollins but his voice just never did it for me, it sounds too forced, kind of like a drill sergeant trying to sing while barking orders haha

Haha. Same here. It always sounded like Henry Rollins was trying a bit too hard for my liking..not terrible, just not Morris. ;)

musician_enigma
Raven
Raven

17 Dec 2013, 12:48 am

Hell yes! Just listened to a full Killing Joke album for the first time ever today (self titled, the very first one), and I am in love with it. so I can say for sure I like Killing Joke. Also I am kinda familiar with Black Flag, Siouxsie and the Banshees, New York Dolls, Joy Division, Sonic Youth, The Ramones, Butthole Surfers, Minor Threat, Misfits, but I have yet to explore their music. So much to explore...

In addition I like Post Hardcore bands, such as Fugazi, Helmet, Quicksand, Drive Like Jehu, Glassjaw (kinda more recent band than the others).

It's the fuzzy guitars, raw vocals, and high intensity that usually bring euphoria to myself when I listen to bands in these punk genres/sub-genres, whatever. The attitudes of some of these bands really appeal to me (the do it yourself, no gimmick, just guys in normal clothing, all about the expression of music).

And to conclude I also like Grunge bands such as Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Alice In chains, Mudhoney, Melvins, Stone Temple Pilots, Temple of the Dog.

Then there are still the many (hundreds or even thousands) of other bands I have yet to find, I will eventually though. :D

SwampThing258
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Dec 2013, 8:28 am

sick! if you like all that stuff, try out some English punk too like the System, Rubella Ballet, Rudimentary Peni, and Lost Cherrees, good solid anarcho, goth/punk, and street punk :)

I don't know if you guys like the gothier stuff but Cross Stitched Eyes and Cemetery are really good, the first one is a super group of musicians doing a kind of hardcore meets Killing Joke meets experimental and the other is a really good kind of Adolescents meets Christian Death kind of band, they've all got new cds and LP'sout.

musician_enigma
Raven
Raven

17 Dec 2013, 9:10 am

Thank you very much! The more music I have to explore the better :D

I will dedicate a full day to each band, where I listen to nothing but their music.

SwampThing258
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Dec 2013, 9:18 am

nice, also check out Secular Plague from Italy, Anasazi from NYC, and Lost Tribe from Virginia, all good dark punk and deathrock, Crimson Scarlet from San Francisco is awesome too as is Christ vs Warhol from LA, Deathcharge from Portland are bad ass too.