What is your gaming platform of choice and why.

Page 1 of 8 [ 128 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

Your preferred gaming platform
Pc (Windows) 22%  22%  [ 42 ]
Pc (Windows) 25%  25%  [ 47 ]
Pc (Linux) 2%  2%  [ 3 ]
Pc (Linux) 2%  2%  [ 4 ]
Pc (Dual Boot) 2%  2%  [ 3 ]
Pc (Dual Boot) 3%  3%  [ 5 ]
Mac 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Mac 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Playstation 4 2%  2%  [ 3 ]
Playstation 4 3%  3%  [ 6 ]
Xbox one 1%  1%  [ 2 ]
Xbox one 2%  2%  [ 3 ]
Wii u 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Wii u 2%  2%  [ 3 ]
Playstation 3 5%  5%  [ 9 ]
Playstation 3 6%  6%  [ 11 ]
Xbox 360 4%  4%  [ 7 ]
Xbox 360 4%  4%  [ 7 ]
Wii 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Wii 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Ouya 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Ouya 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
3ds 3%  3%  [ 5 ]
3ds 3%  3%  [ 6 ]
psp 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
psp 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
General android 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
General android 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
IOS 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
IOS 1%  1%  [ 2 ]
Retro 4%  4%  [ 8 ]
Retro 6%  6%  [ 12 ]
Total votes : 189

darkfuji
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

17 Dec 2013, 10:49 am

The title says basically everything.

Please write below about why you game on your platform of choice.

EDIT: forgot nintendo

EDIT: is their anyway i can edit the poll?

Last edited by darkfuji on 18 Dec 2013, 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kerias
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Dec 2013, 12:20 pm

I chose PC (Linux). I know it´s not ideal compared to Windows in amount of games and (mostly) GPU drivers. But I really like using Linux as a platform, and the fact that it´s free made me get better hardware instead of having to pay for an OS.. I´ve had consoles, or well I still got my Xbox360, and sure there are advantages with consoles, but there are also disadvantages compared to a PC. I´ll probably start using SteamOS once it´s out of beta, and hopefully I´ll stay gaming on Linux for many years to come.

Nambo
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2013, 1:01 pm

Whilst not the sole reason I chose PC, I certainly appreciate how Modders turn games like Skyrim into games of absolute beauty, only available on the PC.

Rebel_Nowe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2013, 1:02 pm

PS3 here until I can afford the PS4. I'm interested in PC gaming as well, but Japanese titles tend to push my buttons, and they love Sony consoles over there. As long as Atlus is still making Shin Megami Tensei games (PERSONA 5 IS COMING!! !! !) that only get released on consoles, I will still have the Japanese power console of choice in my home. `-`

pete1061
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2013, 1:37 pm

I prefer PC(windows)
For one, I prefer mouse/keyboard controls. Console controllers are just too awkward for me.
Also the modding communities for PC games greatly extends the lifespan of many games.

As far as phone based gaming. It feels better for short, casual gaming. The size gets kinda painful for extended gameplay.

Diagnosed in 2005

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2013, 1:39 pm

[X] Other: The dining-room table.

Dungeons & Dragons, Traveller, GURPS, Rifts, and an assortment of other RPGs played with paper, pencil, and dice.

Ausome
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

17 Dec 2013, 2:34 pm

PC, because it is undeniably better.

Also, where's Ouya on the list?
:twisted:

Tross
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2013, 3:23 pm

You forgot to put the vita on your poll. :wink: But, I went with the ps3. I'm a fan of the entire ps ecosystem, and own both a psp and vita, which I'm also fond of, and also happen to have a ps4. I want the ps4 to be my platform of choice, but that probably won't happen till next year when it gets more games. Funny enough though, my most anticipated title is not on the ps4 or even the ps3, but on the vita. :lol: I'm really looking forward to Danganronpa in February.

Anyways, I just like the selection of games across Sony platforms, and all those systems are as familiar to me as the back of my hand. Plus, they're region free. The consoles are easy to work with, and I love playing content from the UK and Japan on my NA ps3. The psp is a bit of a hassle, but there's a trick to it that involves the ps3. The vita's not worth messing around with, since changing the account activation involves reformatting the entire system, but I still enjoy it for NA content.

Plus, as a company, I respect Sony more than the other two companies combined. Granted, I absolutely hate MS, and refuse to send any money their way if possible, hence why I've never owned an xbox, and don't have a gaming pc, despite being tempted to get one for indie titles. Ninty and I go way back, but I do have some issues with the way they do things. Sure, Ninty's good points keep me coming back to them, but I respect Sony more.

pete1061
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2013, 4:26 pm

Fnord wrote:

Dungeons & Dragons, Traveller, GURPS, Rifts, and an assortment of other RPGs played with paper, pencil, and dice.

That takes me back.
Haven't done that in years. Rolemaster was my thing.
The down sides to that was how time consuming it was. Creating characters, looking things up.
Then there's coordinating a group of friends for a sizeable block of time to get through a decent campaign.
Easy when you are 15, not so easy when you are 30-40 something.

But it was fun!

I wonder if there are android or iPhone apps to speed up some of the more tedious aspects.
half-cyber RPGs?

Diagnosed in 2005

darkfuji
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

18 Dec 2013, 7:47 am

Fnord wrote:

Rpgs are all fun and games till you play call of cthulu.

darkfuji
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

18 Dec 2013, 7:48 am

Ausome wrote:
PC, because it is undeniably better.

Also, where's Ouya on the list?
:twisted:

Below the wii

darkfuji
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

18 Dec 2013, 8:01 am

Kerias wrote:
I chose PC (Linux). I know it´s not ideal compared to Windows in amount of games and (mostly) GPU drivers. But I really like using Linux as a platform, and the fact that it´s free made me get better hardware instead of having to pay for an OS.. I´ve had consoles, or well I still got my Xbox360, and sure there are advantages with consoles, but there are also disadvantages compared to a PC. I´ll probably start using SteamOS once it´s out of beta, and hopefully I´ll stay gaming on Linux for many years to come.

what linux fork are you runnning?

RushKing
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2013, 1:12 pm

My answer would be PC (Dual Boot), there are great free and open source fps games on Linux like Sauerbraten and Red Eclipse. Though people like me who hate mouse acceleration have to edit a config file to disable it completely on Linux (Archlinux wiki is your friend). I also play roguelike games like Dungeons of Dreadmor which are also available on Linux. More and more games in my steam library seem to be getting ported over to Linux and for the ones that aren't, I got my Windows partition for.

My experience with Manjaro has been smooth. this distribution has incredible hardware detection, it knew I had an Nvidia Optimus configuration and had bumblebee installed right out of the box. Although I had to update my kernel and edit another config after looking at the arch wiki, to get the drivers working, it was easy to do in comparison to Mint. So Manjaro is the most laptop friendly distribution I have tried so far.

Last edited by RushKing on 18 Dec 2013, 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UndeadToaster
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Dec 2013, 4:15 pm

I don't game now, but hopefully by the time I have the time management skills and self control to allow myself to without taking over my life there will be more games available for Linux. It's looking good so far, thanks to Valve.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2013, 4:49 pm

I chose PC (Windows), though really I'm just a fan of PC gaming in general regardless of whether it's on Windows, Linux, or even MS-DOS. Why am I a fan of PC gaming? Here are a few good reasons:

- Keyboards and mice are better for FPS and RTS games than controllers
- PC games often have excellent mod support
- Online gaming communities are typically more mature for PC games than for console games
- You can "roll your own" PC build instead of having to settle for a pre-built system
- Desktop PCs (and some laptops) offer upgrading potential, allowing a person to start out with a basic system and upgrade it into something more powerful over time, rather than having to buy a whole new system just to get a few extra features
- PC games can be run at higher resolutions than what most console games offer (and up until the PS4/XBOne were released, PC was pretty much the only way to play AAA titles in 1080p)
- With a decent enough PC, a person can easily emulate games for systems as recent as the PS2 and even the Wii.
- PC games tend to be cheaper than console titles
- There is a much greater selection games on the PC, including tons of free and independent titles
- Services like Steam and GoG.com allow people to buy PC games online and install them on any PC, at any time
- Thanks to emulators and virtual machines, even the newest PCs and operating systems can achieve an excellent level of backwards compatibility

But to put it in a nutshell, with a PC you have FREEDOM. :D

AdamAutistic
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2013, 6:39 pm

Nintendo because it has the games i like.