Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

yamato_rena
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

17 Dec 2013, 7:35 pm

I'm really excited that I'm going to be starting grad school soon. I'm hoping to get an MPP, and I managed to get an assistantship that looks like it can defray about half my tuition costs. I'm also really excited because I really, really like taking classes. I actually really loved my GRE prep class. It gets me kind of down sometimes, because whenever I try to think about what I'm really good at doing and want to do for the rest of my life, it's learning stuff. My goal for now is to try to shoot for a think tank position (I currently work as a freelance researcher), but I worry that I won't be cut out for think tank work because I'm not so great at sticking to projects once I've decided on them. I have a very bad case of "Ooh, shiny object!" But freelance research frequently bores me too because I can't build it into anything, and I like building things. I just like to run around between the different activities. Do I sound like a spoiled brat? Can anyone relate to what I'm talking about?

em_tsuj
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2013, 10:02 pm

academia is the only thing I excel at. I wish I could make money going to school, just have going to school and taking classes be my job.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2013, 7:57 pm

Yes. I was a great student and thought I'd be a great employee as well. Turns out that being a hard worker, fast learner, and intellectually curious don't necessarily take one very far. Too much social crap involved with working. I'd be a terrific employee if being a student was a job.

American
Toucan
Toucan

19 Dec 2013, 4:41 pm

I will b e a K-JD. I do very well at school. But I am tired of being a student. I have been a student for 21 years continuously. It's ridiculous.

AspCat
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Dec 2013, 12:10 pm

I can relate to the sense of discovery and learning that accompanies school. I ended up getting advanced credentials in engineering, based on the idea that the same stimulation can found at work. That assumption was a big mistake. You're working to line the pockets of shareholders, and kiss up to your boss.

em_tsuj
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2013, 2:53 am

American wrote:
I will b e a K-JD. I do very well at school. But I am tired of being a student. I have been a student for 21 years continuously. It's ridiculous.

You are getting your law degree? Do you know what you plan to do career-wise after you graduate (like what kind of legal practice you will go into)?

American
Toucan
Toucan

24 Dec 2013, 3:07 am

em_tsuj wrote:
American wrote:

You are getting your law degree? Do you know what you plan to do career-wise after you graduate (like what kind of legal practice you will go into)?

Yes, I am in law school now. I would like to be a prosecutor. I want to do trial advocacy and there are other elements of being a prosecutor that I think I would like. How about you?

em_tsuj
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2013, 4:32 am

I just completed a B.S. in Psychology. I thought about going to law school but I don't think it for me. I am very much interested in society and all branches of social science but I really don't know what I want to do for a career. I got a job one week after graduation working at a factory and I like it so far. It plays to a lot of my strengths. It is much less stressful than the mental health field (which requires a great deal of intense social interaction).

American
Toucan
Toucan

30 Dec 2013, 3:42 pm

em_tsuj wrote:
I just completed a B.S. in Psychology. I thought about going to law school but I don't think it for me. I am very much interested in society and all branches of social science but I really don't know what I want to do for a career. I got a job one week after graduation working at a factory and I like it so far. It plays to a lot of my strengths. It is much less stressful than the mental health field (which requires a great deal of intense social interaction).

What are you doing at the factory?

managertina
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2013, 10:18 pm

I feel I am a perpetual student. Just not in university now! Am a librarian, so plenty access to free books. Love what I do, tho it is tough and not rich.

homers2012
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Jan 2014, 12:43 am

em_tsuj wrote:
academia is the only thing I excel at. I wish I could make money going to school, just have going to school and taking classes be my job.

Same here. 4.0 student even in the "hard" classes like topology. My accounting classes were like 1st grade math. CPA exam was super easy. Having said all that, I can't even land a job cleaning bathrooms at McDonald's.