Student gets suspended for hugging his teacher.

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Housedays
Raven
Raven

17 Dec 2013, 11:11 pm

http://news.msn.com/us/atlanta-student- ... ng-teacher

Apparently it was "sexual harassment". This kid hugged his teacher.

pete1061
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2013, 12:55 am

The story says he also tried to kiss her neck, and the teacher found it to be unwelcome sexual advances.
And to put it more into context, it was a 17 year old "kid".

Sounds like legitimate sexual harassment to me.

Diagnosed in 2005

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2013, 6:33 am

It's amazing how people try to justify sexual harassment... :roll:

Housedays
Raven
Raven

18 Dec 2013, 9:56 am

How can a hug be sexual harassment? A kid hugging their teacher must be worse than a kid putting a tack in their teacher's chair.

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2013, 10:05 am

That "kid" would be in Sixth Form or College, or maybe even in a job, were he in the UK. I know, Americans do it differently...

It's not so much that the hug is considered harassment, but the kissing the neck, and the fact that he was previously told by her not to hug her...

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2013, 10:26 pm

pete1061 wrote:
The story says he also tried to kiss her neck, and the teacher found it to be unwelcome sexual advances.

Keep in mind that even the hint of sexual impropriety between a teacher and a minor student, if the teacher is lucky, could end up in a career-ending scandal. At worst...prison time for something the student initiated.

Given that he was 17 years old, it was most definitely improper.

pete1061
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2013, 10:52 pm

zer0netgain wrote:
pete1061 wrote:

Keep in mind that even the hint of sexual impropriety between a teacher and a minor student, if the teacher is lucky, could end up in a career-ending scandal. At worst...prison time for something the student initiated.

Given that he was 17 years old, it was most definitely improper.

A teacher can't take any chances.

And really, 17 really isn't quite a "kid"
Not quite an adult, but definitely not a child.

Society really needs to make more of an attempt to distinguish teens as something something completely different than children and adults.

Diagnosed in 2005

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2013, 11:46 pm

Housedays wrote:
How can a hug be sexual harassment? A kid hugging their teacher must be worse than a kid putting a tack in their teacher's chair.
Well hugging at work is considered sexual harrassment too its really stupid.

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

Housedays
Raven
Raven

19 Dec 2013, 6:24 am

Maybe it was sexual harassment after all. Here's what a retired teacher wrote on another forum.

Quote:
First-I am a retired teacher and the issue of hugging has happened to me, and at some point in time, to many other staff members that I knew.

When a student surprised me with a hug their head stayed straight as with most of their back. Both arms wrapped around at the same time with a quick release. It was an act of appreciation or joy. I then indicated to the student that I appreciated the fact they were happy with something that brought on the hug-but it is unfortunately not appropriate as you have grown into a young adult. I offered alternatives such as a high five.

Viewing the video you will notice he is not standing directly in front of her to hug. That is a big red flag to me. Notice how his left arm is extended as far as it will go. Is he trying to quickly touch her? Next after the start of the hug his head bends down-and bends down again to her neck. This is no longer a hug. He is pushing his head into her neck-and looks as though-I will admit not for sure-he is trying to kiss her neck. If a student did that to me my first instinctive reaction would be to push away-just as the teacher did. I never had a student hug me in such a manner. If that would have been an occurrence in my career the action would have been reported immediately. Just my thoughts after 30 years of teaching.

So apparently this was no ordinary "hug".

pete1061
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2013, 6:36 am

Housedays wrote:

From the article:
Quote:
The station reported the teacher also accused McNair of kissing her on the cheek and the back of her neck during the hug. Citing the school disciplinary report, the station said the teacher said she had previously warned McNair that hugs were inappropriate. Reuters could not immediately confirm the contents of the disciplinary report.

It's a case of another deceptive headline.
It should say "Teen student gets suspended for attempting to kiss a teacher on neck and cheek."

There is the impression by the headline that "aww, it was just some kid being nice and wanted to hug... how could hugging be considered bad?"
When really it's a horny teenage boy who is "hot for teacher" trying to put the moves on her.

Diagnosed in 2005

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2013, 7:28 am

Quote:
Society really needs to make more of an attempt to distinguish teens as something something completely different than children and adults.

Not really, no more than we need to distinguish people in their 20s from those who are middle aged, and those who are middle aged from those who are in old age. It's only recently that 14 year olds have been treated as "children"... by the age of 14, people should have finished their basic education and be ready to move on, to a job, apprenticeship, or further education. This continuing infantilisation of young adults is extremely damaging.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2013, 7:43 am

Hugs are one thing, but the dude tried to kiss his teacher on the neck. That's kind of intimate if you ask me. Also, he's 17, not really a kid, but not quite an adult yet.

PM
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2013, 8:13 am

The kissing part is alleged and likely a distraction.

With that said, workplace laws, especially those laws that cover "sexual harassment" have gone to the extreme.

I think making eye contact is now considered improper.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2013, 9:08 am

Things seem to be getting very extreme. When I was a school kid aged 15 there was a Christmas school party for my year and several of us horny lads had a snog (made out) with one of the pretty young female teachers (aged 20 something) and this was in public and none of the other pupils or other teachers batted an eyelid. She was a damn good kisser too. "Please miss, can I have a Christmas kiss?" :P How times have changed.

ZenDen
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2013, 1:02 pm

Things today have changed. With all of the hormonal medications in the water & etc. kids are maturing much much faster. Girls becoming pregnant at 13 and 14 years of age hardly raise an eyebrow anymore; and boys the age of this offender are WAY beyond adolescence.

There's no indication this offender was unable to control his actions because of a medical condition which should mean a guilty charge for sexual harassment and court ordered examination and future observation.

Protecting all women against this type of assault is no joke.

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2013, 1:06 pm

Yes, I think there should be special consideration for teenagers. They have hormones buzzing in them all the time.