aspie bf change NT girlfriend's brain to think like aspie?

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Can Aspie change NT brain to think more Aspie?
Poll ended at 29 Dec 2013, 2:45 am
YES 38%  38%  [ 6 ]
NO 63%  63%  [ 10 ]
Total votes : 16

vickygleitz
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2013, 11:46 pm

I am autistic. Bobby is NT. I will always be autistic, just as Bobby will always be NT
Me living with an NT has made me less rigid and rules following than I was.
Bobby used to be judgemental, maybe even a bit prejudiced. No more.
Bobby has taught me a certain amount of spontanaity.
I have taught him that reading books can be interesting.
I have taught him that every person is awesome.
He has taught me not to trust everyone.

We have taught each other that there is nothing in the world like unconditional love.

em_tsuj
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2013, 3:40 am

vickygleitz wrote:
I am autistic. Bobby is NT. I will always be autistic, just as Bobby will always be NT

We have taught each other that there is nothing in the world like unconditional love.

Great post! Very inspiring.

BigSnoopy126
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Dec 2013, 2:46 pm

I voted "no," but my answer is really "Not totally."

You have, at an NT, the ability to analogize. It's like learnigna foreign language. You may become very prodicient at reading, writing,a nd even speaking it, you will still, however, think in your native langage. In fact, it sounds like this is where you are; maybe not quite "fluent" but nearly so.

The question is, then, can you get to the point where you can think in that foreign tongue? Or, can you only get to where you can only, really fast, say, "Okay, this is what he's thinking and how he'll react and why." This, I think, goes to what some others said about being able to really put yourself in another's shoes.

Some people can do that really well, and you might be one of those. Others can do it to some extent - I can imagine, as a PDD-NOS (probably not totally Aspie), how someone might feel but only on the outside unless I spend some time pondering all the little intricacies. If you can do that, you're in great shape, and the equivalent, I think, of most people who are fluent in another language. You can do it all, and your brain will jump really fast from thinking in your n"native" way to how he thinks. And, as long as you can do that, I think he'd be happy. Just like me - I don't need people to be exactly like me, I just want people to want to take the time to understand. And, thankfully, I have plenty of people who do in my family/friends.

vickygleitz wrote:

I love this post, by the way. This is how it should be - and what I mean by being really "fluent" in the other's ways.

bearsandsyrup
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 Dec 2013, 5:15 pm

Certain "typical" Aspie personality traits of mine have rubbed off on my NT husband, but my presence hasn't morphed his neurological pathways or anything lol :)

He's more literal, more skeptical, more introverted, and more interested in obscure topics than when we met. That's all just my personality rubbing off on him a bit as we spend time together, though. The same thing has happened in reverse-- I've become better at understand alternative thought processes, more patient and gracious with mistakes, more willing to compromise and meet in the middle, less nervous in social situations, etc.