Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

joku_muko
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2013, 6:18 pm

My bluray player on my PS3 no longer reads blurays only dvds. I am a plus member so backing up saves isnt a problem. I'm trying to decide if I want to pay a lot to fix it or just buy a new one for a little more. I want to know if Skyrim, Demon's Souls, and Dark Souls saves would work on my new PS3 if I was to get a new one? I don't want to lose the 100's of hours I've put into them. Thanks!

PerfectlyDarkTails
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2013, 8:15 pm

There's only an issue with Copy Protected save data when it comes to the PS+ baking up. for everything though, I used the Data Transfer Utility to move everything over. There is interfacing issues with older models transferring over to the super slim, otherwise if connected it can be a lengethy process depending on the amount of data to transfer and the Ethernet cables max load.

This would transfer everything over as is including install data, Copy Protected data would need 24 hours to validate onto new systems. There plenty of online instruction on it, This transfer can be done over as many consoles if done correctly. Skyrim is not Copy Protected and should play without issue, I don't know about the other games but you can see if the saves are Copy Protected by viewing the save datas information.

I found when my 80GB Fat model was going, I found it much worth while buying the super slim rather than repairs. I upgraded to the 500GB Super Slim as I was having hard drive space problems and BluRay Movie issues. As a bonus though, I had it on offer with GTA5 and The Last Of Us completly free for £219 a while ago.

AS 168/200, NT: 20/ 200, AQ=45 EQ=15, SQ=78, IQ=135

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2013, 8:51 pm

you can always purchase a new SATA laptop hard disc.

The advantage with PS3 is that it takes any 2.5 inch SATA laptop HD so you aren't limited with space in the way that you are with Xbox 360. Since you have playstation plus, you wont have any issues accessing your saved data once you change the disc over. Its exceedingly awkward without cloud storage.

My deviant art profile

joku_muko
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2013, 8:51 pm

How do you transfer over? Just plug an ethernet cable from one to the other? I looked at Demon's Souls and Dark Souls save information it just says Copying Prohibited, but they transfer to PS Plus fine. Thanks for thinking of that as I didn't.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2013, 8:59 pm

joku_muko wrote:
How do you transfer over? Just plug an ethernet cable from one to the other? I looked at Demon's Souls and Dark Souls save information it just says Copying Prohibited, but they transfer to PS Plus fine. Thanks for thinking of that as I didn't.

The PS3 original and PS3 slim have a side panel on the left (where it would stand vertically) that you need to unscrew and the HD slides out. Make sure you don't lose the screws otherwise you wont be able to get it back in again.

I've never done it myself (my 160GB PS3 slim has all the HD space i'm likely to need) but theres any number of tutorial videos available on Youtube. Its just a matter of making sure any data you want to transfer later onto the new HD is safely stored on your Playstation + cloud or another PS3.

When my old fat 60GB PS3 starting red light of deathing i couldn't save the data on it until i bought a new PS3 and connected the two using an ethernet cable. That method takes about three hours. For some reason it doesn't let you use the convenient method of storing it on USB sticks and moving the data to a PC.

Just be warned if you do go the route of replacing your HD, you can kiss goodbye to your warranty. Of course if your PS3 is already a year old or more its a moot point anyway.

My deviant art profile

joku_muko
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2013, 9:10 pm

Yeah, my ps3 is like 3+ years old. I'm actually surprised it isn't dead yet. Works perfectly fine still minus not reading blurays. Thanks for the info.