Page 1 of 11 [ 167 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2013, 6:27 pm

First off, I'm very pro gray rights. I'm also very pro freedom of speech and freedom of religion. I'll vote to legalize gay marriage every time, but I'd also vote that churches don't have to perform or recognize it if they don't want to.

That being said, this whole shitstorm over Phil's comments is over the top. Not because I don't disagree with his opinions, I do disagree with it, very much. But is there anybody who had seen the show, and had heard them at all on there, who didn't know beforehand exactly what he was going to say?

If that interview had been conducted live, at the Superdome, and it was filled with Southerners watching, as soon as the interviewer asked that question there would have been a collective groan that went up because we would all know he was about to put his foot right in it. No matter what our own personal beliefs on the matter are, we knew his beforehand. Most people, preferring to just keep the peace and not start up s**t, would have avoided this topic at all costs.

This whole thing is engineered to stir up s**t because it's going to really push Christmas sales of their products through the roof. They knew what they were doing. This isn't like somebody caught him on the street and asked him. He has PR people, and everything. Those questions have to be approved. This was planned. They are trying to ride Paula Deen's coattails about the whole boycott thing and having a group stick up for him like Southerners did for her, except with him they are going for everybody who doesn't like gay folks.

Marketing genius, but not a surprise.

Was there actually anybody out there who had suspected that he might just feel differently? If so, who are you and where are you from?

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2013, 6:36 pm

I can't stand any of the Duck Nasty people.There are stupid house shoes in Mal Wart with that ol' nasty geezers head on them.Tacky,tacky.
In my opinion they are just a bunch of low IQ white trash.Worthless as the tits on a boar hog.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2013, 6:40 pm

Misslizard wrote:
I can't stand any of the Duck Nasty people.There are stupid house shoes in Mal Wart with that ol' nasty geezers head on them.Tacky,tacky.
In my opinion they are just a bunch of low IQ white trash.Worthless as the tits on a boar hog.

I don't like their beards at all!

But now that you said white trash, somebody will take that the wrong way and it will end up a thread. I got in a long FB argument the other day on somebody from here's FB status which was originally about respecting women. I said it's manners. If you have manners you will treat all women with respect whether she is a lady or not. I was asked what wasn't a lady and I said if she was trashy. That word started this long thread about how it's dehumanizing to say trashy, etc, even after I explained over and over that it doesn't mean that the person is garbage and we all do trashy things once in a while.

I was glad I didn't bring up the phrase white trash. It doesn't mean what people who aren't from here think it implies. But try telling them that.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

19 Dec 2013, 7:17 pm

I don't understand why the first reaction of the PC police is to fire people, it just reinforces people's hate or creates it where it was just ignorance before. You're actually giving these people a reason to separate themselves, you've taken something away from them.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2013, 7:29 pm

Jacoby wrote:
I don't understand why the first reaction of the PC police is to fire people, it just reinforces people's hate or creates it where it was just ignorance before. You're actually giving these people a reason to separate themselves, you've taken something away from them.

Marketing thing. It's a week before Christmas. Do you have any idea how much that stuff will fly off the shelves now? Walmart will sell out before the weekend I bet you, just down here! He's the poster boy for the religious right now.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2013, 7:38 pm

OliveOilMom wrote:
Jacoby wrote:

Marketing thing. It's a week before Christmas. Do you have any idea how much that stuff will fly off the shelves now? Walmart will sell out before the weekend I bet you, just down here! He's the poster boy for the religious right now.

That's the thing too, these campaigns to boycott or get people fired almost always results in backlash and rallying around whatever you were protesting in the first place. It's counter productive and stupid, maybe actually try having a dialogue with these people? Show people why they're wrong.

As for whether this was planned, I think GQ had a pretty good idea what the reaction was going to be when they wrote this. These Duck Dynasty guys are pretty smart and know how to market themselves, they know who their audience is. Their whole schtick is basically marketing their products to rednecks isn't it?

Last edited by Jacoby on 19 Dec 2013, 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2013, 7:39 pm

Jacoby wrote:
OliveOilMom wrote:
Jacoby wrote:

That's the thing too, these campaigns to boycott or get people fired almost always results in backlash and rallying around whatever you were protesting in the first place. It's counter productive and stupid, maybe actually try having a dialogue with these people? Show people why they're wrong.

As for whether this was planned, I think GQ had a pretty good idea what the reaction was going to be when they wrote this. These Duck Dynasty guys are pretty smart and know how to market themselves, they know who their audience is.

Nobody who has ever seen the show had any doubt as to what his answer would be. Also, those questions go through his PR people. It was set up. marketing.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2013, 7:48 pm

Then their audience is also a bunch of dumb asses.People like that give the South a bad rap.
I'm just calling it as I see it,they are white, and they are trash.
Thank goodness I don't know one person buying their Chinese sweatshop crap.I don't know anyone that even watches them.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2013, 8:01 pm

Misslizard wrote:
Then their audience is also a bunch of dumb asses.People like that give the South a bad rap.
I'm just calling it as I see it,they are white, and they are trash.
Thank goodness I don't know one person buying their Chinese sweatshop crap.I don't know anyone that even watches them.

My mother loves that show. I think it's because she likes watching stupid rednecks to stupid things. OK. So do a lot of people. Or they enjoy doing those same stupid things. She also has a thing for Si. The crazy one.

My point was that it's an obvious marketing ploy and people are falling for it. Nobody thought that he felt any differently beforehand. It's not like gay couples all over the country are suddenly resetting their TiVo's to not record it. They already knew how he felt, as did anybody else who saw the show, and anybody who watched it just didn't care what his opinion was in the first place.

He said he thinks it's a sin and they will go to hell. Ask him what he thinks of Pagan, he will say he thinks we are sinning and will go to hell. So? I know he thinks that. That doesn't mean he would be mean to me! His opinions on gay people doesn't mean he would be mean to gay people! The South is full of rednecks who think others are going to hell for various reasons and that doesn't make them start an all out war against you. Half my friends think I'm going to burn in the lake of fire because of my religious beliefs. The other half think I'm probably just going there for other reasons. I don't hold that against them. Why should I? They don't go around yelling at me to change. Phil didn't go around spouting off about gay people.

Hell, I know he's got tons more opinions that are way more offensive than the gay people going to hell one! So what?

When people are punished for their opinions and beliefs rather than their actions, that's when we have started getting so oversensitive that it's not funny. He was asked. He answered. I thought don't ask, don't tell was ok.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2013, 8:22 pm

It's a little looser here.I have several openly gay neighbors,and there are quite a few atheists and pagans.People may joke about a gay man having a little sugar in his tank,but nothing about then going to hell unless it's one of the religious Christian nut jobs.
Arkansas has a lot of cross dressers,I knew about them when I was seven years old.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drag_pageantry
Most people here don't care what you do as long as you don't bother them.
I agree with you that it's marketing,which makes it even worse.
I'm just tired of the portrayal of Southerners in that light.Why can't we have a show about a student from the South going to MIT?
He is entitled to free speech,so am I.I hope he chokes on his.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2013, 8:28 pm

I bet nobody is even going to mention the huge gay communities in New Orleans and Atlanta either. Theirs are bigger than Birmingham's. Everybody that isn't from here thinks that Southern gay folks stay in the closet or get beat up.

That ain't so, and shouldn't be so.

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2013, 8:45 pm

Jacoby wrote:
I don't understand why the first reaction of the PC police is to fire people,

Corporate image is very important and you are not going to waste it over being Politically correct and "protect speech".

Quote:
it just reinforces people's hate

Hell no.

The only one culpable for being a hating bigot is this guy. He is responsible for saying bigoted things that got him fired. He is .

Quote:
or creates it where it was just ignorance before. You're actually giving these people a reason to separate themselves, you've taken something away from them.

What I love about this all is that all republicans are libertarian "the corporations are always right" and "capitalism will sort everything out" freaks until a corporation looking to protect their assets decides to fire a dude for making bigoted remarks.

LOL!

It is even more hillarious when you notice that the same people crying over this dude were also the ones insisting for NBC to fire Bashir.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2013, 8:59 pm

His opinions are a mix of religion and culture. He's my generation, and really redneck straight men of my generation don't usually have a good opinion of gay folks. Throw a religion which they believe is the one true religion into it, and let that religion say that being gay is a sin, and you have Phil.

My issue with this is twofold. First, they knew it would cause a problem and let him be asked that question anyway. This was done on purpose. It will amp up sales of their products right before Christmas, so people can "make a statement". Nobody is gonna go buy it if they weren't already thinking about buying it. A few might, but that's it. Also, it could end up a Duck Commander brand vs Duck Dynasty brand war. Go buy Duck Commander if you support Phil cause all that money goes to the family and go buy Duck Dynasty brand if you support A&E's decision cause most of that goes to A&E. That way they really rake it in!

My second issue with it is that everybody is acting so surprised. I really doubt that there were people buying his stuff or watching his show who didn't already figure out his opinions. They aren't losing any viewers, the ones watching it who disagree with his opinions just don't care about them, they watch it for entertainment.

WHY IS THIS SUCH A BIG SURPRISE???????

Next they are going to interview the Duggars about their beliefs on abortion right before the Roe v Wade anniversary. Might as well, huh? Cause even though I'm pro choice and sometimes watch that show, I'll boycott them if I find out they are against legalized abortion.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2013, 9:33 pm

Vexcalibur wrote:
Jacoby wrote:
I don't understand why the first reaction of the PC police is to fire people,

Corporate image is very important and you are not going to waste it over being Politically correct and "protect speech".

Quote:
it just reinforces people's hate

Hell no.

The only one culpable for being a hating bigot is this guy. He is responsible for saying bigoted things that got him fired. He is .

Quote:
or creates it where it was just ignorance before. You're actually giving these people a reason to separate themselves, you've taken something away from them.

What I love about this all is that all republicans are libertarian "the corporations are always right" and "capitalism will sort everything out" freaks until a corporation looking to protect their assets decides to fire a dude for making bigoted remarks.

LOL!

It is even more hillarious when you notice that the same people crying over this dude were also the ones insisting for NBC to fire Bashir.

Don't strawman me, I know you're excited to leap on someone over this but all I am saying is that I find that these PC crusaders hurt their own cause more they help it and that people shouldn't have to live in perpetual fear of the capital crime of offending someone at the risk of their job. You can dismiss that argument if you want but it is an absolute fact that getting this guy fired and his TV show off air will do nothing for gay rights, it only legitimizes the persecution complex in the minds of a lot of religious/Southern folks. Gay rights have progressed so much in the last few years not because of threats and boycotts, it has progressed because ignorant people have come to realize that these people are no different than themselves and are just as worthy of dignity and being loved.

CapriciousAgent
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Dec 2013, 9:35 pm

When I first heard that there was a program called Duck Dynasty, and that the bearded hillpeople were big in the Christian community for their religious convictions, I figured it would only be a matter of time. Nobody is surprised that the one who made the comments believes what he does, and nobody disputes that he has a right to say it. A&E, as a corporation existing during a pretty rapid social change on gay marriage/rights, did what any sensible company would do, because they're going to lose advertising money as it is, and TV as a medium is hurting.

Meanwhile, New Mexico's supreme court just ruled same-sex marriage constitutional, and that counts a lot more than what some old, southern coot thinks.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2013, 9:50 pm

CapriciousAgent wrote:
When I first heard that there was a program called Duck Dynasty, and that the bearded hillpeople were big in the Christian community for their religious convictions, I figured it would only be a matter of time. Nobody is surprised that the one who made the comments believes what he does, and nobody disputes that he has a right to say it. A&E, as a corporation existing during a pretty rapid social change on gay marriage/rights, did what any sensible company would do, because they're going to lose advertising money as it is, and TV as a medium is hurting.

Swamp people, not hill people. Hillbillies are from the Appalachians and the Ozarks. These folks are in Louisiana.