Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

semota
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Dec 2013, 2:07 pm

...in a Central European (former Soviet bloc) country?

I have a small group of adult Aspies, most of them have been diagnosed as adults. We would like to start an advocacy group which primarily targets the needs of high-functioning adult Aspies, but will also represent the needs of the entire autistic spectrum later on.
We are situated in Hungary, in a post-Soviet bloc country where the Asperger's awareness is on a considerably low level. When you say "autistic", most people here will think of low-functioning autistic people. All groups which intend to represent autistic people consist of neurotypical people raising autistic and AS children; neurodiversity is a fairly unknown concept here.
We would like to raise Asperger's awareness by educating people about AS and calling attention to our special needs in school, workplaces and relationships; and we'd also like to make clear that the interests of autistic people can only be represented by autistic people themselves.

Our plan is to start an internet portal on which we'd regularly publish articles on the most important Aspie traits and on the most important issues Aspies face in everyday life. We'd also like to publish translations of blog posts written by well-known Aspie bloggers (with their permission).

My question is aimed to all those who actually participate in autvocating in practice -- which should be the first steps of an Asperger's advocacy group? (I don't mean the technical part of creating an organization, we can handle that.) Do you have any ideas, suggestions, best practices etc.?

Last edited by semota on 23 Dec 2013, 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2013, 2:14 pm

You could get help and advice from GRASP, even if you don't want to be affiliated with them. There is a lot of advocating, organizing and fundraising knowledge and experience there.