Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

TheValk
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2013, 5:33 pm

I've noticed many people on these forums describing that being surrounded by successful or socially outgoing persons makes them jealous or frustrated. I recall plenty of stories that people went as far as delete themselves from facebook, stop communicating with the people in question and so forth.

Is there anybody else who seems to... "feed off" for a lack of a better term other people's happiness and forgetting own failures and not worrying about things so much?

Failing a lot (autism being a very likely candidate if anything needs to be blamed) seems to make me appreciate when my friends and close ones are successful. I can almost forget my own depression.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2013, 5:48 pm

I've done all of the above, but for slightly different reasons. Happy people don't bring me down nearly as much as contrasts between them and my own troubles.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2013, 6:07 pm

I can relate to both sides of this.

In the past there've been times when I've been so depressed and anxious that the last thing I wanted to do was be around happy people because it would just frustrate me & I also felt that in my state I had nothing to contribute but doom and gloom that would potentially bring them down. So, I just avoided everyone completely.

More recently, now that I'm happier and healthier than I've ever been in my life and no longer feel anxious in crowds and at parties, I appreciate being around happy successful people because I tend to feed off of them and become happier myself, seeing opportunities and possibilities in socializing as well as work/career/finance areas. So, now I've taken people up on their invites to parties and events and have been enjoying myself quite a bit at them. It's nice to be around healthy wealthy people as it gives me the feeling that I too can join their ranks in terms of being happier as well as more successful in my chosen career & financial path.

It's definitely greatly influenced by your own perceptions whether socializing with happy people makes you miserable or gives you a boost. Change your own perceptions of things and it changes everything.

DarkRain
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2013, 7:17 pm

I enjoy being around happy people for the most part. If they're successful at doing something, I'm happy for them. It doesn't do any good to be jealous; that'll only make you miserable.