What to do to prepare myself for evaluation?

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

wisheshewerenormal
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Dec 2013, 9:13 pm

Hello, I'm a 21 y/o male diagnosed severe ADD / PI. Over the last few years I've been considering that it isn't ADD (or at least not just).

I'm going for a re-evaluation (technically 3rd evaluation but the last was more of a evaluation of my 'ADD' symptoms for school purposes rather than an evaluation of whether I actually had it or not).
I've been pretty nervous about the evaluation, mainly because my mom doesn't agree with me. When I tell her about my emotional issues connecting with other people, she seems to think I'm just being hard on myself. Question in, what should I do to prepare myself for my evaluation? What sort of questions will the neuro ask? I just want to get the proper diagnosis this time, no matter what. I was given stims for ADD for years and they completely didn't help me with my executive-functioning in HS, so I don't want to waste any more time with an improper diagnosis / treatment.

Sethno
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2013, 11:28 pm

Make sure the person is qualified to diagnose the condition you suspect you have.

Aside from that, just be honest, and whatever you do, don't try to present yourself any certain way. You want them to see the real you, and to determine what your real situation is.

What would these results mean? Been told here I must be a "half pint".

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2013, 11:56 pm

As the above poster said, you should make sure that the doctor has the experience of diagnosing what you suspect you have. If not, then you'll just waste your time and money and be left frustrated.

You could also prepare a list of symptoms/traits that you think might be relevant to your condition. That makes the diagnosis process efficient and you won't forget to mention something that you would like to. That certainly helped me. It also made things clear in my head, too.