emotions some are too strong and some are to weak

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

kazma
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Dec 2013, 2:57 am

hi iv recently been diagnosed as being on the autism spectrum and was wondering is this common with ASD or just me like when i get emotional its always overly strong and i show them eg laugh and cry also i have very strong attachments for the people i care about and and have no problems hugging or kissing them but aside from those people i care very little for others eg when one of my grandparents died i felt nothing and didn't cry when everyone did is this sort of thing normal

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2013, 3:00 am

Those are all pretty much textbook Autistic traits.

If you haven't read this book, I highly recommend it:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Complete-Guid ... 1843106698

kazma
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Dec 2013, 3:13 am

hi i have read that it was recommended after my diagnosis but i was under the impression that asd limits the showing of affection and such but im still just coming to terms with it and trying to fully understand it are there any other good recommendations or resources

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2013, 3:37 am

It limits the showing of affection for some, and makes others show far more affection than is socially acceptable. Further, symptoms and traits can fluctuate for any of us. Someone might not show any affection for any period of time, and then be overly affectionate. Or the opposite. Any trait can last for any length of time, too. Some people have frequent mood swings, others experience traits that last for several years and then just suddenly disappear or change.

I found it beneficial to read books written by aspies about their life's experiences. I read these two:

http://www.amazon.com/Aspergers-From-In ... 0399533974

http://www.amazon.com/Look-Me-Eye-Life- ... 0307396185

The first one has a bit more advice, the second was more entertaining. Both were equally worth reading.

Also, this forum is an excellent resource. You can learn a lot by reading, or feel free to post questions/new threads. It's quite active so there's always quite a bit of help or input, whatever you're looking for.

kazma
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Dec 2013, 4:11 am

thanks it just show how diverse ASD is i just wish there was a book out there like Tony Attwoods but more on all the symptoms and traits of ASD and how they affect people with it differently and in what ways i think something like that would be so helpful

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2013, 4:28 am

The better way to explain the violent swing of expression with emotions in people with AS is to think of a standard light switch.

It's either ON or OFF.

Likewise, if someone with AS is not sufficiently stimulated by an emotion, that person tends to show no reaction. This does not mean that person isn't feeling anything, but instead, they are not stimulated by that emotion enough to respond to it.

If someone with AS is sufficiently stimulated by an emotion, that person tends to react as if they are feeling the emotion with great intensity.

This is why people with AS struggle with showing APPROPRIATE response to situations.

For many, as they experience an emotion state more and more and learn about different levels of appropriate response, it is possible to learn more varied levels of reactions, but their reaction has to be thought out...it rarely is the product of unconscious processing.

NTs go through a similar situation but develop mastery of emotional processing at a very young age while people with AS generally do not.

kazma
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Dec 2013, 5:59 am

this stuff is very helpful to me thanks did you figure this stuff out by self reflection or by some specific resources as i don't remember this information being in Attwoods book

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2013, 12:54 pm

All of my emotions are too strong. I can't handle funerals because I just break down all the time.

kazma
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Dec 2013, 2:51 pm

Why isn't this more commonly stated in books as most of what iv read fail to talk about showing too much emotion and just talk of those that don't show any ie blank expressions or robotic types I sometimes am like that but for the most part overly show my feelings

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2013, 7:41 pm

i cannot feel kinda sad or kinda happy, those i only experience as neutral, i can only feel extremely happy and extremely sad.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

Mrmisunderstood
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Dec 2013, 8:54 pm

All through High school I was very Quiet. After High School I became very Social. If your having stress in your life the symptoms are more likely to come out.

Mrmisunderstood
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Dec 2013, 8:54 pm

All through High school I was very Quiet. After High School I became very Social. If your having stress in your life the symptoms are more likely to come out.