Which jobs are apt for a 44 years old unemployed aspie?

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Coreute
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Dec 2013, 8:41 am

Hello everybody.
i'm an electronic engineer with a Ph. D. in electronic and communication engineering. I worked for a while in international TLC service operators. Now I don't have any job and it's been so for a few years, and I turned 44 yo this year. What kind of jobs should I look for? That could be bearable for an aspie like me? Thanks, Hugs and kisses.

Marky9
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2013, 9:35 am

Some form of contracted services or consulting might be worth a look. Tech companies, and telecomm in particular, seem more open to work-from-home arrangements than most. I have seen signing up with a contract services firm specializing in providing contract workers for companies be a good option for many. That way the firm takes on responsibilities for sales, marketing and payroll services. Best wishes.

Coreute
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Dec 2013, 10:05 am

Thank you, Marky9...I would also like to find writing jobs as tranlations or journalist pieces, am I still in time to?

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2013, 11:50 am

Now, it might not come up why you have been out of the workforce for a couple of years, but if it does, would you feel comfortable being vague and telling a lie of deflection? For example, 'I've been helping with my family.' And if they ask a follow-up question of what exactlly, which would kind of be impolite on their part, you could simply say, 'I would rather not say.'

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2013, 12:27 pm

I don't know what the outlook is for engineering jobs.

If you are interested in other jobs, then consider night watchman jobs.

One job that would normally be quite low key is a night watchman at a feed lot. I think that the main part of their job is to weigh a load of cattle when a truck brings them in and help unload the truck.

Many night watchman jobs should be very low key. Many companies hire night watchmen basically just to monitor the lobby, make an occasional walk around in the building and check that the doors are locked, and walk people to their cars if asked.

Coreute
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Dec 2013, 12:43 pm

I think that some jobs are very difficult to attend for me cause I have well established routines all through the day. I never go out at night. I usually don't eat at noon but I overeat at dinner. And so for many other reasons many jobs, where you you have to work in the evening or at night time and you have to be keen on manual abilities are still "off-hand" for me: as for example the pizza-maker or the bread-maker and so on...

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2013, 2:31 pm

AardvarkGoodSwimmer wrote:
And if they ask a follow-up question of what exactlly, which would kind of be impolite on their part, you could simply say, 'I would rather not say.'

Or shut them up really fast by saying someone in your family had cancer.

Metal_Man
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2013, 4:25 am

I was in the same boat as you, I was a mechanical engineer for 23 years until the economy collapsed. I went back to school to become a pharmacy technician (2 semester certification at a community college) and got a job in a large hospital halfway through the second semester. I work with many former engineers including 2 with masters in mechanical, 3 with masters in electrical and one with a PhD in chemical engineering. All of us are over the age of 40 and because of that we can no longer work in the engineering field. Engineering is a dead profession for anyone over the age of 35. All of the pharmacists and doctors treat us with great respect.

All of us would become pharmacists but that would be extremely difficult because of our ages. Pharmacy Tech is a good choice for an Aspie.

Coreute
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Dec 2013, 5:07 am

Thank You, Metal_man: at what age did you choose to go back to school? How did you support yourself while at school? I'm also following a professional course expressely thought for people with asperger but my colleagues are all half my age and the course doesn't teach a specific profession but it's only aimed at making us take part to a working stage with employing perspectives....

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2013, 12:49 pm

Years ago when I turned 39, I was working as the second oldest software developer for a company in Houston (the oldest was about two months older than me). Because of my age, I was considered "over the hill" even though I could turn out better code than the younger developers there and in much less time.

A couple of years after I left, I was talking to someone else who was still there. He told me that in all that time, they had only found one bug in my code and it was very minor.

Marky9
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2013, 3:38 pm

Coreute - interesting that you mention translation work. I have considered that for myself, but not followed up on it.

A quick google search uncovered an outfit called ineverylanguage dot com. I know nothing about it, but I figured that has got to be freelance / contract translation work out there. Piece-work would be great because it might be something one could do on an as-needed, as-able basis.

With your electronics background I would love to see better translations of technical documents.

Metal_Man
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2013, 8:27 pm

Coreute wrote:
Thank You, Metal_man: at what age did you choose to go back to school? How did you support yourself while at school? I'm also following a professional course expressely thought for people with asperger but my colleagues are all half my age and the course doesn't teach a specific profession but it's only aimed at making us take part to a working stage with employing perspectives....

I was 43 and was forced to go back to school because no one will hire an engineer over the age of 35. Plus there are very few engineering jobs left in the United States. I collected unemployment and had some savings to live on. If you have a PhD then pharmacy tech classes will be a breeze for you. Some schools have Pharm Tech programs that are only one semester long.

The medical profession is VERY different from the engineering field and wish I would have done that instead of engineering all those years ago. Being an Aspie is a positive and not a career killer. You are saving peoples lives and the doctors and pharmacists expect the job to get done quickly and perfectly everytime. Our extreme attention to detail, work ethic and aversion to chit-chatting is highly valued.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2013, 11:09 pm

Coreute wrote:
Hello everybody.
i'm an electronic engineer with a Ph. D. in electronic and communication engineering. I worked for a while in international TLC service operators. Now I don't have any job and it's been so for a few years, and I turned 44 yo this year. What kind of jobs should I look for? That could be bearable for an aspie like me? Thanks, Hugs and kisses.

I don't know what your nationality is. The patent office of your native county is a good place to do intellectual work - where PHD people can thrive, and there is mostly no people interaction so it is good for AS people.

I work at the U.S. patent office, and we are hiring electrical mechanical/engineer/computer engineering people presently.