Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

IrishEyes
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2007, 11:06 am

I am looking for a good software product to fix some registry problems on the PC, can anyone recommend something (Free) that is reliable. I used a sample of XP Medic, and it seemed good but its not free. Did anyone use XP medic before how would you rate it's performance and reliability? I will buy it if anyone thinks it's worth buying or maybe someone could suggest something better.

Thanks in advance!

Jameson
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2007, 11:26 am

I haven't tried this, but check out RegSeeker at http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm

Found with a quick Google on "Freeware registry cleaner"

Sorry I couldn't be more help, but I haven't used windows in months.

Air·is·water·with·holes·in·it. Think·honk·if·you're·a·telepath. Never·call·a·man·a·fool.·Borrow·from·him. A·tautology·is·a·thing·which·is·tautological. Hi!·I'm·a·.signature·virus!·Copy·me·into·your·~/.signature·to·help·me·spread!

IrishEyes
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2007, 11:35 am

Jameson wrote:
I haven't tried this, but check out RegSeeker at http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm

Found with a quick Google on "Freeware registry cleaner"

Sorry I couldn't be more help, but I haven't used windows in months.

Thanks Jameson for the link, but I don't know how good RegSeeker is. I may give it a go and see if it helps. I want to use something that is recommended by someone and not just advertised by Google. When Apple brings out Leopard, I will be so happy, they are just taking so long (sigh) and XP is driving me nuts. Grrrrr....

Jameson
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2007, 11:38 am

Well, you could always try Linux :D ...

Air·is·water·with·holes·in·it. Think·honk·if·you're·a·telepath. Never·call·a·man·a·fool.·Borrow·from·him. A·tautology·is·a·thing·which·is·tautological. Hi!·I'm·a·.signature·virus!·Copy·me·into·your·~/.signature·to·help·me·spread!

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2007, 11:59 am

PC Windex By Micro Solutions

- Emerson

IrishEyes
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2007, 12:21 pm

Thanks for that link Mark, I will have a look and see what I think.

Jameson wrote:

No thanks, but it is tempting. Anything to get away from Microsoft Windows. :twisted:

Jameson
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2007, 12:23 pm

IrishEyes wrote:
Jameson wrote:

No thanks, but it is tempting. Anything to get away from Microsoft. :twisted:

What keeps you from trying it? If you want a preview of it I would suggest looking at Ubuntu Linux. They have a bootable "Live CD", that lets you try a working Linux system without installing it first.

IrishEyes
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2007, 12:30 pm

Jameson wrote:
IrishEyes wrote:
Jameson wrote:

What keeps you from trying it? If you want a preview of it I would suggest looking at Ubuntu Linux. They have a bootable "Live CD", that lets you try a working Linux system without installing it first.

I will have a look, but I will still be getting a MacPro laptop. I don't know if there is much point in getting Linux at this stage. :?

Jameson
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2007, 12:44 pm

IrishEyes wrote:
Jameson wrote:
IrishEyes wrote:
Jameson wrote:

I will have a look, but I will still be getting a MacPro laptop. I don't know if there is much point in getting Linux at this stage. :?

Hehe... you could put Linux on the mac, too. :)

ahayes
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2007, 12:45 pm

What drives me nuts about Linux is the lack of good frontends. If X crashes you always get stuck with a prompt, there isn't any diagnostic program that runs to help you fix whatever the hell happened to it. So many programs use text files for configuration, THERE NEEDS TO BE SOME SORT OF GRAPHICAL CONFIGURATION UTILITY FOR EVERY TEXT FILE NO EXCEPTIONS, EVEN IF THAT UTILITY RUNS FROM THE CONSOLE.

Jameson
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2007, 12:47 pm

There are configuration utilities for most config files, you just have to know how to find them.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2007, 1:05 pm

I have an OS X, which runs on Unix. Actually, it's quite easy to use once you get the hang of it. My only real issue is not being able to use Windows programs (like DigiGuide, which I still have another two years on - think it still covers the Republic of Ireland too). If you're a programmer who likes messing with code all day, try Linux. Everyone else: don't bother. I'm not a newbie computer user but all I could manage on Linux was accessing the Internet. Just about everything else was an impossibility for me.

Try an iMac for a change. :)

Jameson
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2007, 1:15 pm

Many many many Windows programs can run on Linux using Wine (the Windows Emulator). I actually play a couple Windows games using it.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2007, 1:23 pm

I did look at Wine. That won't work on OS X (without shelling out money for it)?

Jameson
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2007, 1:24 pm

You might try Darwine, then...
http://darwine.opendarwin.org/

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2007, 2:08 pm

Installed it. Errrrr... how on Earth does this work?