Small Cool Things....Because I am Autistic

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2013, 12:06 pm

Hmm, because I have autism, I have these things:

I'm absurdly fast. Not running speed or anything (as that part is absurdly slow), what I mean is mental processing and also reaction speed. There's an old phrase, "cat-like reflexes". No, I dont have those. I'm faster than cats, you see.

Extreme coordination, exceptional fine motor control. Manifests itself the most with gaming and comptuters, but it shows in other things as well. I never trip over stuff, I can hold huge numbers of seperate objects in one hand without any chance of dropping any, and can do various other high-dexterity things.

I'm very empathic, always have been. I hate seeing people feel bad and I'll usually try to help them if I can, rather than just ignore it. Some of this definitely came about as a result of my hellish high-school years, after seeing the way some jerkbags treat people, but it's always been there to some degree.

I handle lack of sleep well and it takes alot to get me at all tired. I'm also very resistant to medications that have a tranquilizing or sedating effect.

I'm excellent with animals and generally have an understanding of them that most people seem unable to achieve.

There's also that whole physical attractiveness aspect.... people call me beautiful, pretty, stuff like that.... and I'm male. Those words aint normally used on males, but those are the ones I get, never "handsome" or anything like that. I have some androgyny about me, so there's that, people tend to think I'm feminine in appearance.... I cant say for sure that any of this is for certain related to the autism, but.... I cant think of any better explanation, so I may as well attribute it that way.

And of course, it shapes my whole way of thinking. Allows me to think in ways that others have trouble with; I'm very good at abstract concepts, for instance.

Of course, there are downsides... I'm really spacey and absentminded and sometimes cant remember things that happened 5 minutes ago.... hell, I once lost my keys while I was holding them.... and my keychain is 2 feet long. Dont even ask how THAT event made any sense. And I tend to do things like trying to open hotel room doors by using the remote on the car key, and then standing there for 30 seconds wondering why it isnt working, or going to make a sandwich and forgetting random parts of it, including the bread a couple of times. And of course, I'm socially awkward and generally strange.

But that's fine, I dont mind that bit so much.

Threore
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

28 Dec 2013, 12:23 pm

I can work on boring tasks taking ours to get it just right, because I am autistic.

When I want to watch a movie or something and there isn't a new one I want to see, I can just watch old ones I've already seen a hundred times and still like it as much as the first few times I watched it, because I am autistic.

I like this thread.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2013, 12:49 am

I can entertain myself for hours with my own imagination... because I'm autistic. :D

Webalina
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2013, 1:28 am

I like this :) ---

Because I'm autistic...I was a very successful library assistant. I was good with my patrons -- as long as I was behind the protection of my counter/desk; I had the tenacity to dig for information -- and find it -- long after others had given up, and I had the patience to do a complete inventory of the library on my own. Too bad that as the internet got bigger and easier to use, my job became obsolete...:(

Because I'm autistic...people trust me. They know I'm going to be honest and dependable and kind, and am not going to be a backstabber.

Because I'm autistic...I'm the "go-to" person in my family for any fact or trivia answer. My brain is stuffed full of facts and figures. Sometimes I wish I could plug my brain into an external hard drive and download some of it out.

Because I'm autistic...I enjoy my own company. Long after others have started complaining of boredom, I'm still happily buried in my books, my studies or just my own thoughts.

Because I'm autistic...I am passionate about things, and share that passion with others. Some people get annoyed, but I find that many people respond to my excitement and knowledge about my chosen topics.

Because I'm autistic...I can relate to animals and their feelings. While others look at them as "things", I see them as creatures with emotions and feelings just as valid as those of humans.

Go as far as you can see. When you get there, you will see farther.

LastSanityJermaine
Raven
Raven

29 Dec 2013, 2:17 am

LupaLuna wrote:
vickygleitz wrote:
I have noticed that many autistics seem to have beautiful hands with long fingers. As for the long legs, well, I don't know if that is a common autistic trait but I do not have long legs and wish I did.

If you walk on your toes in public. It might look like your legs are longer then normal. Another thing is is that toe walking builds up your calf muscles. The calf muscles on a toe walker are about 2-4 times stronger then that of a person who doesn't.

I guess that explains why the muscles on my calves were so dang huge as a kid