Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2014, 3:00 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
staremaster wrote:
What was his mother diagnosed with? She was training him for a future war, like Sarah Connor in "Terminator 2"...

I've heard suspicion about his mother's nuttier ideas, but has anything been proven that she was indeed so insane? If true, it would definitely explain a lot.

Nancy Lanza was likely in denial over her cold-blooded son having Aspergers. According to an NBC interview with the journalist who interviewed Peter Lanza, he {Peter Lanza} claimed that Adam was increasingly withdrawn over time.

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2014, 4:25 pm

I don't think society has any idea the number of undiagnosed people are running around this world with OCD. I would say that everyone probably knows someone who has undiagnosed OCD and or BPD. Neither of these conditions are uncommon. Nor are a multitude of other mental and physical conditions that have a possibility of manifesting in some form of violence.

Tawaki
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2014, 8:51 pm

Max000 wrote:
Tawaki wrote:
Well if you read the whole article, Adam was diagnosed with Autism at Yale. That's a pretty bullet proof place for a diagnosis. You get diagnosed there, no one is going to doubt.

Between the depression, OCD, young male hormones, and Autism the kid was a mess. The Autism didn't help the issues, but it wasn't the reason Adam did what he did.

And I know schizophrenics, and Adam doesn't come close to that diagnosis, so his father can wishful think all he wants.

You wouldn't know the difference between AS and schizophrenia if it hit you in the face. Lanza had all of the symptoms of schizophrenia. The doctor who diagnosed him was a quack who has since lost his medical license, and he did not work for Yale. Yale wouldn't let that mofu in the door.

Lanza's psychiatrist lost license to practice

Whatever. I showed what you wrote to my Schizophrenic friend and we had a good laugh. The same with my ASD husband.

No...no...you are so so right. I have no clue. I bow in your direction, all great, all knowing one. Your Aspie IQ must be what, at least 160? How dare I question or voice an opinion. You are SO CORRECT! I should submit your name to the article author so they can get there s**t straight.

Only Schizophrenics are violent, murderous as*holes. Never the Aspies. Never. I'll tattoo that on my arm if it will make you feel better? I'm think of little puzzle ribbons and butterflies around the quote. How could I be so wrong? *clutches pearls*

Anyway, thanks for giving me something to trend on Twitter. It's been fun.

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2014, 9:44 pm

Tawaki wrote:
Max000 wrote:
Tawaki wrote:
Well if you read the whole article, Adam was diagnosed with Autism at Yale. That's a pretty bullet proof place for a diagnosis. You get diagnosed there, no one is going to doubt.

Between the depression, OCD, young male hormones, and Autism the kid was a mess. The Autism didn't help the issues, but it wasn't the reason Adam did what he did.

And I know schizophrenics, and Adam doesn't come close to that diagnosis, so his father can wishful think all he wants.

You wouldn't know the difference between AS and schizophrenia if it hit you in the face. Lanza had all of the symptoms of schizophrenia. The doctor who diagnosed him was a quack who has since lost his medical license, and he did not work for Yale. Yale wouldn't let that mofu in the door.

Lanza's psychiatrist lost license to practice

Whatever. I showed what you wrote to my Schizophrenic friend and we had a good laugh. The same with my ASD husband.

No...no...you are so so right. I have no clue. I bow in your direction, all great, all knowing one. Your Aspie IQ must be what, at least 160? How dare I question or voice an opinion. You are SO CORRECT! I should submit your name to the article author so they can get there sh** straight.

Only Schizophrenics are violent, murderous as*holes. Never the Aspies. Never. I'll tattoo that on my arm if it will make you feel better? I'm think of little puzzle ribbons and butterflies around the quote. How could I be so wrong? *clutches pearls*

Anyway, thanks for giving me something to trend on Twitter. It's been fun.

Anyone is capable of acts of horrific violence. Not just mentally ill people. And not all violence is physical. Words can, and are used as weapons also, sometimes much more effectively than what can be done with a fist or a gun. People can be emotionally damaged by words to the point that actual physical pain, or even death, can be seen as a welcome relief. People nowadays can become obscenely wealthy by using words to traumatize, exploit and sensationalize human suffering to the point that lives and communities are completely destroyed. And these verbal assassins are looked upon by much of society as role models and idols. And even have sponsors that fund their actions.

Max000
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2014, 10:03 pm

Tawaki wrote:
Only Schizophrenics are violent, murderous as*holes.

Correct.

Autism Is Not Psychosis
MAIA SZALAVITZDEC 19 2012, 10:33 AM ET

People with autism are less likely to commit crimes. Identifying individuals at risk for psychotic breaks, though, may be the one appropriate focus of the mental health discussion raised around Adam Lanza.

Given the unspeakable events last week in Newtown, everyone is searching for answers about what might have driven Adam Lanza to kill. Attention has focused on his possible autism spectrum diagnosis, but as researchers and advocates have pointed out, autistic people are actually less likely to commit crimes compared to those without the condition.

There is, however, another disorder that can both be linked with planned violence and mistaken for autism, which may account for part of what went wrong, in this instance or others. That's psychosis, which can occur as part of schizophrenia or in some cases of severe depression or drug misuse.

Autism Is Not Psychosis

TheygoMew
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2014, 10:26 pm

Something happened to him. I'd be inclined to ask what drugs was he on. Anytime the media keeps talking about someone like this, there is another story or they are trying to drill something into people's brains. A story.

He once had eyes that had a sparkle. He once had a bright smile.

WTF really happened?

A picture is worth a thousand words.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2014, 2:51 pm

TheygoMew wrote:
Something happened to him. I'd be inclined to ask what drugs was he on. Anytime the media keeps talking about someone like this, there is another story or they are trying to drill something into people's brains. A story.

WTF really happened?

One of the most compelling wordless arguments I have ever seen.

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2014, 3:00 pm

Adamantium wrote:
TheygoMew wrote:

WTF really happened?

That second face is what I would expect of someone who spends hour upon hour upon hour upon hour, locked in a dark room transfixed on any one particular object or subject. Especially continuous diet of violent video games. That is exactly what I see in that face. I don't care how defensively someone will object to me about their own enjoyment of these types of video games. The eyes say it all. He is almost robotic, hypnotized.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2014, 6:08 pm

WOW!! !!

Yes, one very compelling argument.

Now, can we all (and I do mean ALL) please stop looking for a demographic to demonize so that we can conveniently avoid the uncomfortable truth that ANYONE can make the choice to become a killer, and EVERYONE has to make the choice not to??

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2014, 6:15 pm

Max000 wrote:
Tawaki wrote:
Only Schizophrenics are violent, murderous as*holes.

Correct.

Autism Is Not Psychosis
MAIA SZALAVITZDEC 19 2012, 10:33 AM ET

People with autism are less likely to commit crimes. Identifying individuals at risk for psychotic breaks, though, may be the one appropriate focus of the mental health discussion raised around Adam Lanza.

Given the unspeakable events last week in Newtown, everyone is searching for answers about what might have driven Adam Lanza to kill. Attention has focused on his possible autism spectrum diagnosis, but as researchers and advocates have pointed out, autistic people are actually less likely to commit crimes compared to those without the condition.

There is, however, another disorder that can both be linked with planned violence and mistaken for autism, which may account for part of what went wrong, in this instance or others. That's psychosis, which can occur as part of schizophrenia or in some cases of severe depression or drug misuse.

Autism Is Not Psychosis

READ THE LINKED ARTICLE.

Spot on. Stigmatization and isolation are THE BIGGEST RISK FACTORS FOR VIOLENCE. THE BIGGEST. Bigger than X diagnosis, bigger than psychosis.

I have lived this truth. PLEASE LISTEN.

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2014, 6:50 pm

khaoz wrote:
Adamantium wrote:
TheygoMew wrote:

WTF really happened?

That second face is what I would expect of someone who spends hour upon hour upon hour upon hour, locked in a dark room transfixed on any one particular object or subject. Especially continuous diet of violent video games. That is exactly what I see in that face. I don't care how defensively someone will object to me about their own enjoyment of these types of video games. The eyes say it all. He is almost robotic, hypnotized.

I have probably heard a thousand "gamers" say the same thing." I suppose you will tell me you don't play video games? And none of the people I know personally who play violence oriented video/computer games would I want any personal association with simply based on behaviorisms they have displayed long before I learned of their "hobby." People who indulge in these activities tend to be volatile, quick tempered, intolerant and argumentative. Characterizations based on experience. And they are almost always (just like drug addicts), in denial.

Mike1
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2014, 8:53 pm

I have been feeling more bitter and cynical than ever since the Sandy Hook tragedy, though I guess I've always been pretty spiteful and unforgiving. The reactions of a lot of people to this tragedy, and some of the previous tragedies, has really opened my eyes up to how bigoted, asinine, and barbaric a lot of Americans really are. I guess things aren't really any better in most of the rest of the world though. It makes me glad to be an extreme introvert.

I will never again trust a psychologically and neurologically normal person enough to let them into my inter circle of friends, which currently only includes one person. I also refuse to speak to a therapist, unless they are disordered or impaired in someway that I can relate to. It's kind of depressing at times; to feel alone in my thoughts and struggles in life, but I always manage to pull through. I won't risk worsening my situation by placing trust in some normal person. Even if I was willing to take that risk, I'm too avoidant to actually seek out any support.

My situation is often rough, though it wouldn't seem that way to someone on the outside looking in. The causes of my suffering are unconventional, and could not be understood by the vast majority of people; I can't even really understand them myself. A lot of the time my circumstances in life seem great, though I don't feel great. I have so many great moments in life, yet at the end of most days my life still feels meaningless, because I realize that my default state of mind is still bad, and is only going to get worse.

I don't plan on ever lashing out and killing someone, though if I ever do, I can promise that it will be for personal reasons and not random. I don't ever want my family or anyone else I know to see my posts on this forum, as a result of the investigation that it would result in. I hope that no one I know ever gets to know me that well, yet at the same type it's kind of depressing how many things there are about me that no one I know knows. That's always been my situation in life though, so I don't give too much thought to it.

I sometimes think about how good a lot of normal people have things, but not usually, because their lives seem so irrelevant to mine. Their ignorance and negligence towards people who are in anyway less fortunate than themselves sometimes angers me, then I realize that in many ways it seems that I am very fortunate, so I discredit this anger as being unreasonable. I'm honestly not really sure how to feel, so I just try not to think about it. Regardless, it seems that the American public's attitudes towards people like myself are unreasonably cold-blooded, and I really resent that. I can see how that could make someone want to inflict extreme pain on someone enough that they'd actually be willing to act on it, but that someone would have to be a lot worse off than myself.

Anyway, I'm probably going to be leaving the forum for good now. I've said that I would before, but now I think that I'm really going to do it. I feel that it is helping to enable my sense of negativity. I will go vent my frustration in private instead, then maybe I will have less frustration to begin with.

heavenlyabyss
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2014, 5:47 am

He seems to fit the "pseudocommando" profile - similar to the Virginia Tech Shooter. Psychosis might or might not have been a factor - difficult to say.

As much as I hate to say it, this particular type of shooting is stereotypically linked to loners/outcasts and autism could be a risk factor, due to the increased risk of rejection and feelings of worthlessness.

OCD is a non-issue in my opinion. More important is his support system and relation with peers and self-esteem.

Mike1
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2014, 8:08 am

As one final comment, I'd like to stress how complex personality types are. There are people who have sympathy but not empathy, there are people who have compassion but not sympathy, there are people who have benevolence but not compassion, there who people who desire to do good but aren't benevolent, there are people who wish they desired to do good but don't, there are people who don't wish they desired to do good but aren't purely ill-willed, there are people who are purely ill-willed but don't desire to act on it, and there are people who desire to act on it but don't. On this forum, we rarely see people beyond the first few of these tiers of perceived negativity. There isn't a very large of degree of separation from one category to the next, but they're all significant. No matter what traits are thrust upon someone, they ultimately have the choice as to how they're going to react to those traits. I just felt like saying this, but I won't further elaborate on it because I'm leaving now.

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2014, 9:31 am

Mike1 wrote:
As one final comment, I'd like to stress how complex personality types are. There are people who have sympathy but not empathy, there are people who have compassion but not sympathy, there are people who have benevolence but not compassion, there who people who desire to do good but aren't benevolent, there are people who wish they desired to do good but don't, there are people who don't wish they desired to do good but aren't purely ill-willed, there are people who are purely ill-willed but don't desire to act on it, and there are people who desire to act on it but don't. On this forum, we rarely see people beyond the first few of these tiers of perceived negativity. There isn't a very large of degree of separation from one category to the next, but they're all significant. No matter what traits are thrust upon someone, they ultimately have the choice as to how they're going to react to those traits. I just felt like saying this, but I won't further elaborate on it because I'm leaving now.

Looks like something quoted from a FaceBook meme or some other source. Does not look to be at all original. Guess it doesn't matter if you believe it to be true.

Acedia
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Mar 2014, 2:19 pm

TheygoMew wrote:

Not really. Pictures are just fragmentary glimpses of that person's life, they mean absolutely nothing. In some pictures as a boy I have a blank expression, in some a forced smile, and in some a genuine expression of happiness. From what I can tell. Of course it's hard to know what emotional state I was in back in those photos.

He actually rejected his medication, so it seems he was on absolutely nothing at the time of the shooting.