Page 5 of 7 [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2013, 11:13 pm

Shau wrote:
*Shrug* Autism seems to have a high number of atheistic liberals. Whatever you say, man...fact is, if any of this stuff worked or had actually convincing evidence people would be all over it. Supernatural-believing types tend to have this belief that there's some kind of conspiracy to suppress all non-naturalist viewpoints, but in reality that battle was lost long ago and now it's just people getting annoyed at those who refuse to accept reality for all it's mundane glory.

I'd call it a conspiracy without a 'conspiracy'. No battle was lost, perhaps main PR, but I really can't believe so many people haven't heard one thing about... I don't know... the Global Consciousness Project? The P.E.A.R. studies and outcomes? Double-slit and quantum eraser? So many of these things just act as basic appetizers, they don't necessarily hand you over the proof on the plate but they whet your appetite for more research. When you then look further and do your own subjective review of so much of the paranormal you start finding things that absolutely shouldn't happen, shouldn't work, happening and working regularly in forward and unambiguous enough ways where to see these things rather than just talk about them and fill in the blank with one's own armchair stock excuses - the proof pretty much is in the pudding and it's out there to be found.

As to why it is that it doesn't work consistently or why random number generators flip out at times of global events or why people's thoughts have a subtle bend on things like random number generators, how it turns out that faith healers can blast people with energy or how psychics can come up with things that you never told them and that aren't available online even with the best background check software, how people who've had NDE's and have described a room they were only in with their eyes taped or out cold with no pulse and eyes closed either described the room perfectly or told the right nurse who'd pulled their dentures out where they had been left, hundreds of people seeing f'd up stuff in the sky in the right places or the right times or crop-patterns that even hundreds of drunk hillbillies with boards would never have a prayer of being able to work out - I think we're buried up to our eyeballs in various forms or evidence. Why our psychology is so screwy, why the results are as biased toward the belief of the beholder - that's another matter altogether.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2013, 11:20 pm

Master_Pedant wrote:
Really? I always got the impression that there was a lack of clarity and different, difficult to intersubjectively verify yet alone intersubjectively communicate, notions among various New Agers, Neopagans, Wiccans, mystics and assorted "metaphysicians" (in the popular, not academic philosophic, sense).

I suppose I'd agree on the new agers. I've been more interested at this point in western mystery tradition, mostly at this point looking at Golden Dawn diaspora, and seeing just how many things people have to say about the Qabalistic tree of life - something that's been around in somewhat evolving and expanding forms from it's earlier strictly Hebrew version (ie. Kabbalah) to having the sectarian walls taken down. So many really swear by it as a diagram of the universe. Dion Fortune and Gareth Knight were both and excellent read on the subject, well outside of the Golden Dawn and on different trees (all still ten sephira and 22 paths) it seems that people hold to that digram as incredibly important including the meanings of the sephira, the archangels of the sephira, the placement in the tree of life, the 'veils' or what John of the Cross would call the two dark nights of the soul - all of that seems to be in there. As a rule anymore I tend to avoid pulp new age for the very reason that it's all over the place and seems to have as many opinions as arses whereas Hermeticism has seemed, from what I can tell, to hold a somewhat steadier image.

Master_Pedant wrote:

He's a strange bird. IMHO he has about as much hippie or new age creds as Oprah Winfrey does after her trip to England and telling the Brits that the reason Barack Obama has problems is that there is simply an older generation of whites profoundly racist against blacks and that they all simply need to die already for things to be fixed.

When people can spout that kind of incoherent garble - whether they're regarding white people or Muslims - with mysticism and new age (Oprah Winfrey's choises being Sufi Islam, Bahai, and Eckhart Tolle) I start getting cold chills and thinking about the bad-old-days of the Thule Society which spawned the Nazi party. It's not that I think either of these two are prime contenders, they just seem to be representing a very angry and unhealthy current.

SecretSavant
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Jan 2014, 1:20 am

Interesting how you advertise on the one hand, then condemn on the other.

Fnord wrote:
There is no valid material evidence to support any claim of the alleged reality of any form of magic, sorcery, witchcraft, wizardry, necromancy, enchantment, the paranormal, the supernatural, occultism, the occult, black or white magic, the "black arts", voodoo, hoodoo, mojo, shamanism, charms, curses, hexes, spells, jinxes, psychics or psionics.

'Magic' is merely the mundane art of turning another person's fears, gullibility and superstition into one's own wealth.

Fnord wrote:
Okay, I'll post this here and then abandon the thread...

<* AHEM *>

There is no valid, empirical, and objective evidence to support any claim of paranormal or psychic abilities or experience. It's all subjective, and open to interpretation. Anyone who claims otherwise is invited to take the "James Randi Challenge" and win one million U.S. dollars if they succeed in demonstrating their abilities.

______
are just Jigsaw Puzzles.
___

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2014, 6:39 am

Lol, the James Randi proof for antitheism is a fascinating one. A million dollar prize set up by young earth creationists to prove there's no God in which all comers would be roundly pwned with bible-verse would be equally entertaining but finding out about a guy who solves his problems by moonlighting as a conspiracy theorist is a pretty rich one also. I think I'd get my money more easily out of the YEC's.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2014, 10:33 am

Here's an interesting Nick Farrell blogspot article on modern psychologizing in magickal workings and the conversation about the boundary between what's simply subconscious being unrepressed vs. what would literally be autonomous beings in the inner-planes sense:

http://nick-farrell.blogspot.com/2013/1 ... ology.html

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2014, 12:52 pm

There are lots of different things you can summon. You can summon spirits, demons, the dead, archetypes, etc. How you do it depends on what you are summoning. It's a whole lot easier to just do spells than to have to do the whole big ritual thing.

I certainly believe it works, but spells aren't my first go to thing for a problem. I only do them when nothing at all I do can fix it, or I do them first when I know nothing I do otherwise can fix it.

Don't try to summon anything without knowing what you are doing. Reading a book or two written by someone who may or may not know what they are doing isn't really the type of training you need for that. Most likely you won't get anything at all, but if you do and you didn't protect yourself right, you are basically f****d. So just don't. Leave that to the professionals.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2014, 1:02 pm

OliveOilMom wrote:
How you do it depends on what you are summoning. It's a whole lot easier to just do spells than to have to do the whole big ritual thing.

I think ritual is really more for those who want to use this as a means of self-transformation.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2014, 1:07 pm

You can try to summon circumstance and luck.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2014, 1:20 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
OliveOilMom wrote:
How you do it depends on what you are summoning. It's a whole lot easier to just do spells than to have to do the whole big ritual thing.

I think ritual is really more for those who want to use this as a means of self-transformation.

No, it's a means of doing it correctly and summoning exactly what you are trying to summon and doing it safely. If you want self transformation then go to therapy, don't be messing in ceremonial magic. You'll just end up f*****g yourself up.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2014, 1:21 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
You can try to summon circumstance and luck.

Things rings true to me ..and i would describe it as becoming more fully in touch with the phenomenon that Carl Jung described as synchronicity....

Th@IS a most amazing phenomenon to me and i truly believe it can be enhanced for more positive destinies..with positive WILL under the 6th type of LOvE...(the universal kind used in cooperation to help others to higher paths of light or enlightenment)

But if used for selfish only desires..i truly believe too.. that IT can be a path to a literal human hell..as well...

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2014, 1:23 pm

OMG don't get me started on therapy. Who's to say it can help? Sometimes people are worse after they have been than before. It's in what you choose to believe and it's mostly psychological. If you believe in it, and you have some serendipidity on your side, you will triumph. If you live in fear of the unseen it is much worse than if you befriend and get to know. Knowledge is power. Fear is a path to the dark side :s

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2014, 1:28 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
OMG don't get me started on therapy. Who's to say it can help? Sometimes people are worse after they have been than before. It's in what you choose to believe and it's mostly psychological. If you believe in it, and you have some serendipidity on your side, you will triumph.

So true..and so dependent on who the therapist IS..

My problem was mostly over-regulation of emotions..

I needed a dam therapist..who even experienced emotions strongly themselves to even help me...

The first few had a bedside manner like a friggin brain surgeon.. (somewhere on the broader psychopathy spectrum)

Social workers make better therapists overall i think..than psychologists..

And yes i got the one finally i needed..and in effect she is almost a miracle worker to bring back the emotions..of repressed 'autistic folks'.....

Just my experience...

As they go in to this thing..just wanting to help people..and not necessarily to figure 'IT' all out logically...

There is a lot more to be 'said' for emotion than logic..anyway..in the real ballgame of life and happiness...

IN my opinion...

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2014, 1:32 pm

aghogday wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
OMG don't get me started on therapy. Who's to say it can help? Sometimes people are worse after they have been than before. It's in what you choose to believe and it's mostly psychological. If you believe in it, and you have some serendipidity on your side, you will triumph.

I needed a dam therapist..who even experienced emotions strongly themselves to even help me...

The first few had a bedside manner like a friggin brain surgeon.. (somewhere on the broader psychopathy spectrum)

And yes i got the one finally i needed..and in effect she is almost a miracle worker to bring back the emotions..of repressed 'autistic folks'.....

Just my experience...

As they go in to this thing..just wanting to help people..and not necessarily to figure 'IT' all out logically...

There is a lot more to be 'said' for emotion than logic..anyway..in the real ballgame of life and happiness...

IN my opinion...

I like to keep in mind that therapists are human like everyone else and can make mistakes. I don't have faith that one person can be the equivalent of a god in my life, wave a magic wand (in the form of words or books) and I am somehow better off than before I started. I believe in the power one has over oneself to heal before I give that responsibility to another. Others can only do so much.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2014, 2:55 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
aghogday wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

Just my experience...

IN my opinion...

I like to keep in mind that therapists are human like everyone else and can make mistakes. I don't have faith that one person can be the equivalent of a god in my life, wave a magic wand (in the form of words or books) and I am somehow better off than before I started. I believe in the power one has over oneself to heal before I give that responsibility to another. Others can only do so much.

IN my opinion..it always takes a team effort..

The basic definition of any so called social animal..anyWay..at least according to science..and the totality of what i personAlly see so far...:)

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2014, 4:07 pm

aghogday wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
aghogday wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

Just my experience...

IN my opinion...

The basic definition of any so called social animal..anyWay..at least according to science..and the totality of what i personAlly see so far...:)

I just think it's overrated and get better results turning inward and pursuing wisdom.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2014, 6:33 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
aghogday wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
aghogday wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

Just my experience...

IN my opinion...

I just think it's overrated and get better results turning inward and pursuing wisdom.

I agree with that too..it depends..though what the issue is..

My issue was partially physiological ..so i needed a little external help on that...

And yes.. extreme stress can certainly 'break down the brain'..where it no longer functions properly with issues like emotions..

Similar to PTSD...