Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Hart
Toucan
Toucan

29 Dec 2013, 3:46 am

Hi all :D

I know some people are a bit funny when it comes to talking about obsessions, but for those of you, like me, who need to talk about them, I thought I'd put this space up. You can share any, and as many, obsessions as you like. They can be as simple as being obsessed about foods you like, games, trading cards, watching a particular show, or complex, as special interests, or the driving force of your careers, etc.

To start it off, I've had two major, life-changing obsessions in my life so far;

1) The first started when I was at an age of drawing with crayons; I can't pin point the exact age, but I used to come home from school every day, and draw for several hours, and on weekends. Now I'm obsessed with drawing, Photoshop, Illustrating, film-making, and animation. This obsession has settled a little since my mid twenties, but I still go back to it occasionally.

2) My second major obsession began when I was about 22-23 years old. I was in a bit of a rut, career-wise, and was frustrated about all my people-problems. I then dedicated myself to learning about psychology, human behaviour, common social practises, and so on. Just like my obsession with drawing, I never thought this would consume so much of my time, until recently. Not until 2013, did I realise I had spent nearly a decade obsessing over this; and it's still going strong.

That should do to start; I might add a few more obsessions late, to keep this post from being too long :P

"If you're not actively involved in getting what you want, you don't really want it."
- Peter MC Williams

wolfwynd
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Dec 2013, 6:39 am

Gardening seems to be a bit obsession of mine at the moment. Like you I'm in a rut career wise and it seems to be something that I would enjoy as I love the outdoors, trees, plants and animals. Cue me reading everything that I can about everything to do with it.

I'm also obsessed with rats, drums and dinosaurs :)

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2013, 7:15 am

Right now it is posting on a couple of teen internet forums. In four months I have made over 5000 posts between
the two of them. I feel real guilty saying that since I joined WP at the same time and have hardly posted anything here. But I just got so caught up in such a large teen internet environment and doing really good there with the NT kids.

Last edited by EzraS on 29 Dec 2013, 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Camo
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Dec 2013, 7:19 am

Hi,
Most recent obsession is the Jack Reacher novels by Lee Child, I have read 3 and have got the rest waiting for me to read.. I was stuck for what to do in the winter evenings, didn't fancy gaming, hate watching telly for the sake of it... a guy at work lent me a book, been hooked since !
They are great reads.
Other obsession currently is a long standing one, I am looking online for my next Land Rover, an old classis series 2 from the late 50's or early 60's but have found a 78 one that is making me think.. I prefer tax exempt cars but this 78 one has the look I go for, just the wrong age..

So I am currently either reading or searching online for Land Rovers !

Stu

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2013, 8:37 am

The Killing Floor by Lee Child is one of the best books I've ever read. I am obsessed with Harlan Coben at the moment.

I am still obsessed with Chernobyl. I have just learned that there is a Chernobyl 2, which was a radar base not far from the plant. I noticed it the other day on a map and though what is that thing, so googled in and came across a load of information. It was obviously abandoned after the accident. I thought I'd read all there was to read about Chernobyl.

Here's a link if anyone is interested. This guy took some fantastic photos.
Chernobyl-2

I just find the images of the rusting old fire trucks so eerie. I was surprised to see this because alot of the vehicles have been removed from the vehicle graveyard. Not sure if they were buried or dismantled.
*edit - I've removed the fire truck image, it was too big and looked squashed.

scotttenorman
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Dec 2013, 9:37 am

I do the same damn walk, the same way almost every day of the week. Sometimes I'll make it longer on the weekends when I'm not working, but it's basically the same walk.
4.5 miles round trip

I've two dogs, and they always go with me, so I can use them as an excuse when people comment as to how much I walk.
"Boy, those sure are lucky dogs!", I've heard that many, many times!

So I've noticed two things about people who walk as much as I do.
They're elderly,
or they're mentally ill....................................

:)

wowiexist
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2013, 10:33 am

As far as walking, I will often just pace back and forth in my house. I probably walk for miles just pacing back and forth. It seems to help me relax and think about things, but if people see me doing it they will probably think I am mentally ill.

Mrmisunderstood
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Dec 2013, 10:57 am

When I lived with my mother I had a obsession about Fish and Reptiles. I had 6 Fish tanks, 8 frogs, 4 lizards and a Turtle. I don't think I ever stopped obsessing about it, it just calmed down because I moved out of my mothers house and now live in a small studio apartment were there is no room for a tank. I told my wife that then we move to a bigger apartment or house I want a 120g fish tank.

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2013, 11:17 am

Its hard for me to differentiate between obsessions and Aspie special interests.

Are they the same thing ?

(I haven't explored the pyschological aspects and am lucky if I can even spell it :lol: )

MynameisAnna
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Dec 2013, 3:06 pm

south park is nice.
also,
science and biology
are nice.
neutrophils protect
the body from
any
harmful microorganism.
they are the first
responders.

kenny died.

because,
I can only express
one thought at a time.

Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2013, 3:25 pm

I've been lucky... Most of my special interests have been lifelong, or recent, but showing the earmarks of being lifelong...

1) Photography... I have been taking photographs since I was 6... Used to develop my own film, and print as well... then it got very EXPENSIVE I had to stop for a while... Was out until digital technology allowed me to do what I love.

2) Film making... Discovered this 6 years ago, when I got my digital camera.... it takes video... VERY good video... and I have taken awards for it.

3) Video games... my first memory is about my atari...lol

4) Miniatures gaming...I love painting minis...

buffinator
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2013, 3:53 pm

I have a subconscious nervous tick where I twist my hair and then... ahem... inhale the proceeds nasally. It's completely subconscious and mostly happens when I am deeply stressed or deeply focused. it used to happen all the time but my friends helped me overcome it by simply pointing out to me when I was doing it... and in one case duct taping my hands to the xbox controller and the controller to my chair. That was a funny day.

I was never all that embarrassed by it until one day I was driving to pick up my sister from school and saw people in the rearview miming my actions and literally pointing and laughing.

I stopped doing it for a while but recently it has come back and I'm not happy about it.

Oh, and btw if you are reading sis: "Maryhill catholic cemetery!"

You are very likely an Aspie

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2013, 4:57 pm

My current obsession is Pokemon. It is a returning interest from my childhood, when I was caught up in the initial craze in the 90s. Though, the focus of my interests has changed over time - these days I am especially interested in some of the older male characters (such as Professor Oak, Giovanni, Koga, Byron and Crasher Wake) and the "shipping" (romantic pairing) aspects, whereas as a child I couldn't care less about the humans and only focused on battling the monsters. Though, don't get me wrong - a good Pokemon battle will still get my blood pumping, :) My favorite Pokemon is Ash's Buizel in the anime - I watched the episode A Crasher Course in Power earlier this morning and was charmed by his attitude. :D

buffinator
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2013, 5:06 pm

IdahoRose wrote:
My current obsession is Pokemon. It is a returning interest from my childhood, when I was caught up in the initial craze in the 90s. Though, the focus of my interests has changed over time - these days I am especially interested in some of the older male characters (such as Professor Oak, Giovanni, Koga, Byron and Crasher Wake) and the "shipping" (romantic pairing) aspects, whereas as a child I couldn't care less about the humans and only focused on battling the monsters. Though, don't get me wrong - a good Pokemon battle will still get my blood pumping, :) My favorite Pokemon is Ash's Buizel in the anime - I watched the episode A Crasher Course in Power earlier this morning and was charmed by his attitude. :D

Lol I've been obsessing about getting all of the berry variants in Pokemon y. I haven't had a battle in days except for tree bugs. some of them are a real pain in the ass because you have to line up the flowering patterns of 24 hr trees and 48 or even 72 hour trees.

You are very likely an Aspie

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2013, 8:06 pm

IdahoRose wrote:

Forgot to mention a couple of my other favorite Pokemon characters - Iris & Cilan from the Best Wishes series and Serena from XY! Granted, I barely know them at all, but I plan on following both series this year.

Oh, and how could I possibly forget about Ash!? He's my homeboy, since the 90s! 8)

Last edited by IdahoRose on 29 Dec 2013, 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

29 Dec 2013, 8:07 pm

Me, I have much on my plate. Sports, ponies, anime, comedy...... those things.

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."