I feel like im the only one in the world who cant function

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

binaryodes
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2013, 7:57 am

I cant finish uni and I cant function effectively in jobs as my executive function is appalling - I miss steps in processes at times even though im great at inventing complex processes and applying them to analytic problems.

I just cant seem to sustain the emotional stability required to complkete a degree course. I think my ocd perfectionism is to blame too. I have set a standard for myself nwhich I MUST attain. If any piece of work doesnt meet this standard I wont submit it. This is so severe that im considering dropping out because I cant rally my faculties together to start/finish my coursework

Has anyone else had similar problems with uni/work misery loves company aha

Cafeaulait
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2013, 8:46 am

Yes, there are definitely more people out there that experience this problem.

I am currenly studying psychology, and I am finishing my masters degree. Right now have a christmas holiday but right after the holidays I have 3 exams. I can only do my internship if I pass them. But I just can't get myself to read the books and study. It's like I am exhausted, and at the same time there are a million other thoughts going through my mind.
I am also very perfectionistic.

Soccer22
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2013, 12:08 pm

I am the same way. I dropped out of community college because I couldn't keep up with all the work. I couldn't even get myself to START the work due to being overwhelmed by how much work it was and not even knowing where to begin on it. I've been that way all my life though. In high school when you're taking 8 different subjects with 8 subjects homework and tests to do, I became so overwhelmed that I started failing because I couldn't keep up with all the heaps of paper work I had in my folders. All my homework was jumbled together and even finished homework got lost in the mix that I couldn't even turn in stuff I finished. It was embarrassing. I didn't know I had Asperger's/executive function problems at the time. I'm happy that now I know why I struggled. Every area of my life consists of problems like these, not knowing where to begin, paper work all mixed that I can't find anything. Wouldn't surprise me if I had ADHD too.

So, don't feel alone!

qawer
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2013, 12:19 pm

My personal theory is that the only thing that can truly motivate people with Aspergers Syndrome, make them deal better with executive function problems and attain their true adult personality, is when,

They boldly confront their deepest fear of becoming dependent.

But this is not easy to do.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2013, 1:13 pm

qawer wrote:
My personal theory is that the only thing that can truly motivate people with Aspergers Syndrome, make them deal better with executive function problems and attain their true adult personality, is when,

They boldly confront their deepest fear of becoming dependent.

But this is not easy to do.

:roll: Gimme a break.

JSBACHlover
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2013, 1:22 pm

@Willard. What do you mean?
@O.P. Please, please, please, to survive and get your degree start submitting work that is imperfect. I guarantee you it will help free you. No one will care in you got all A+s. They'll only care that you got a degree. Lower the bar.

binaryodes
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2013, 1:39 pm

Not sure that all AS issues can be reduced down to dependency issues. I admit depdendency is one of the major issues in MY life but then the main thing that thwarts me is my emotions - they overwhelm me and are physical manifestations that consume me body and soul. Doesnt help when my dad does something he KNOWS will trigger my OCD and then says "Its all an act" when I start breaking the f down.

qawer
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2013, 1:46 pm

Willard wrote:
:roll: Gimme a break.

Only a personal theory, could be wrong.

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2013, 2:23 pm

Have you looked into the services offered at your university's center for disabilities? There are probably professionals there who can suggest some executive functioning strategies for you to help make things easier.

Good luck, and I really hope you find some ways to counter these issues. Executive functioning problems are annoying (coming from someone who experiences these at times)!

binaryodes
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2013, 3:02 pm

anneurysm wrote:
Have you looked into the services offered at your university's center for disabilities? There are probably professionals there who can suggest some executive functioning strategies for you to help make things easier.

Good luck, and I really hope you find some ways to counter these issues. Executive functioning problems are annoying (coming from someone who experiences these at times)!

Tell me about it. I worked at KFC for 4-5 months and could not operate the tills at all. I couldnt remember long orders I couldnt hear the customers I couldn't fill ice creams or pour drinks and so on and so forth.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2013, 3:54 pm

..except you're on an entire forum full of people who can't function; so you're not the only one.

I've had these same struggles in the past, so I get it. So frustrating to be able to think & calculate but not do.

Now that I can do, I am, and hope to never look back. 8)

LucySnowe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Dec 2013, 3:56 pm

I am going through the same thing as you are, so any advice I might give is a little like the pot calling the kettle black. I'm in graduate school doing the degree online and this past semester has been hell because of this regulatory writing course I have to take for the degree (it's a lot of step by step stuff, and the instructor hasn't answered any of my e-mails or requests for contact, which is weird).

The best thing to do, I guess, would be to explain your situation to the office of disability services at your school, or whatever the equivalent is. Get an IEP or figure out some way where you can use your skills in order to finish the work. And to finish those assignments, even though they might not be absolutely perfect to you. Finishing the degree is important.

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2013, 5:24 pm

i know how you feel! i have a lot of trouble just brushing my hair (had to cut it all off) and cant go to school anymore, i cant wash my own clothes (too much pressure)

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com