Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2013, 3:50 am

I've been curious about other people's usernames. I think a username gives a certain impression (but maybe not as much as an avatar does), although as you read more of a given person's posts, your idea of that person might change.

I'd just like to know anything about your username such as:

Does it have any meaning?
How did you come up with it (the process of coming up with it)?
Do you like it?
How do you pronounce it?
Any relevance to your avatar?
etc

You could also mention other people's usernames that you like.

I'll talk about mine later because this post is already too long.

EnglishJess
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2013, 4:54 am

My username means "Not very good username because Jess on its own was taken, I was in a hurry to join, and I didn't have a decent username idea I liked yet, and I wanted to find a wod to add to Jess, and the first one I chose was English relating to my nationality."

That's all there is to it. If I joined later, I'd have called myself Princezz.

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2013, 4:54 am

Well, I picked 'CyclopsSummers' because the superhero Cyclops, leader of the X-Men, is a character I can relate to. He is kind of a serious, brooding person, perceived by others as a 'boy scout' or a 'straight arrow'. In reality, he keeps everyone else at bay because he is terrified that his powers (his destructive eye beams) may end up harming his loved ones. So, he has a certain manner of self-imposed social isolation, which he tries to make up for by being an über-responsible team leader. The 'Summers' bit is from his civilian identity 'Scott Summers'.

I forget why it ended up being Cyclops+Summers. Neither 'Cyclops' nor 'ScottSummers' were taken at the time.

I'm still all right with the name, though I do think it may appear a little long and clunky.
As my avatar is pretty much always a picture of the X-Man, the avatar/username relation is pretty tight.

Usernames of fellow WP members that I quite like are ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo, Warsie, aspiechav, Janissy (I like how it appears to be a diminutive of Janice), KingdomOfRats (not sure if I get the reference, but I know what a 'rat king' is), poopylongstuffing, Kraichgauer (a.k.a. Bill), naturalplastic, Mummy Of Peanut, SpongeBobRocksMao (which should of been SpongeBobRocksMan), and Erminea (reference to the scientific name of the stoat).

Fisplen
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2013, 6:34 am

Now this is interesting, on a lot of my earlier accounts on things back 6 or 7 years ago I would use the name ' spikelen ' on things, and one day I used it to go on Runescape, however that account broke so I was forced to make another one, I obviously couldn't name it Spikelen, so
' Fisplen ' I came to like the sound of it as it was easier to pronounce and it just looked nicer.

So it stuck, the meaning of Spikelen was my name for a monster I created as a child, Fisplen I guess was the ' good ' version of this monster.

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2013, 7:15 am

Thanks for answering.
@EnglishJess: It couldn’t be more straightforward than that. Even I could guess how you got your name. I like easy descriptive names.
@CyclopsSummers: I didn’t know about that but I bet people who are into X-Men must have guessed how you got your username. Your name does stand out when I see the subforum page. I thought ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo was really funny but logging in could be annoying.
@Fisplen: I was wondering what your username meant. Now I understand that. So basically you are a good monster. Fisplen is surely easier than Spikelen. How does an account break? Some bug or corrupt database?

Mine is rather boring. I couldn't think of any. It was a quick name I just came up with. I first thought "ABC", which might have already been taken. Then "DEF", which could give a wrong idea. I also didn't like how "GHI" might be pronounced. So, I took "JKL", and changed to lower case "jkl" and then changed "l" to "1" ("l" and "1" look similar) to make it look more like a username. I wish I had come up with a more meaningful/interesting username. Since my post count has reached almost 4000, I wouldn't want to create a new account now and start from 0. One good thing about my username is that it’s easy when I log in. If I were to have a new one now, it would probably be Grapefruit, StrawberryShortcake, ChouxALaCreme or CremeBrulee as they are the things that make my life worth living.

I generally like straightforward/easy-to-remember/easy-to-pronounce/funny names. So, out of other people’s usernames, I like Popsicle with her matching rainbow popsicle avatar. I also like goldfish21, Max000 and mr_bigmouth_502 among others.

Brainfre3ze_93
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2013, 10:40 am

There really isn't much of a story to my username. * I like to pretend it does , but it doesn't *
In terms of how I came up with the name, I just took the name from when I was a member in an art forum * which will not be named *
I like my username the way it is, and it is pronounced exactly how you would like it is pronounced. The 3 in the freeze is really supposed to be an e. Also, there is no relevance to my avatar.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2013, 10:51 am

Fnord is a metasyntactic variable used by programmers when they've run out of obscene words.

WitchsCat
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2013, 11:04 am

A witch's cat is usually a black or darker cat with intelligence and an attitude - not your normal house cat. I am fond of black cats and have a black cat myself, which was why I picked the name.

Fisplen
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2013, 11:27 am

jk1 wrote:
@Fisplen: I was wondering what your username meant. Now I understand that. So basically you are a good monster. Fisplen is surely easier than Spikelen. How does an account break? Some bug or corrupt database?.

Well, it didn't ' break ' as for say, I think I just got fed up with it as I lost a lot of stuff ingame and it was worthless trying to push that account further, plus I used my Mums email for it, as I did for some early accounts as a kid, so I decided it would be easier to make another one with my own email, which was good as I got sent an email being reported once for saying some dumb things and I don't think my mum wouldn't be happy to hear what I said...

Fisplen
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2013, 11:30 am

Brainfre3ze_93 wrote:
There really isn't much of a story to my username. * I like to pretend it does , but it doesn't *
In terms of how I came up with the name, I just took the name from when I was a member in an art forum * which will not be named *
I like my username the way it is, and it is pronounced exactly how you would like it is pronounced. The 3 in the freeze is really supposed to be an e. Also, there is no relevance to my avatar.

You shouldn't have said You used the same name for that Art forum aswell, I easily found You on that old forum with a google search in 10 seconds, interesting forum to join I'll say that.

InterestingIsabella
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

31 Dec 2013, 12:14 pm

my username is InterestingIsabella..my name is isabella and i find and other people find me interesting!

my avatar saturn is just cause of my liking of anime

Brainfre3ze_93
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2013, 1:12 pm

Fisplen wrote:
Brainfre3ze_93 wrote:

You shouldn't have said You used the same name for that Art forum aswell, I easily found You on that old forum with a google search in 10 seconds, interesting forum to join I'll say that.

I didn't say anything controversial on that site anyways, so I'm not too worried about it. Interesting is definitely one word to say about it. * not one I would use *

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

31 Dec 2013, 1:24 pm

I didn't really give mine much thought. It is supposed to mean "From Equestria to Los Angeles", a coupling of Equestria (the kingdom in which My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is set in) and the city of Los Angeles (one of my favorite cities in the world).

Yes, I do like, it does reflect myself in what I like.

It's supposed to be said "Equestria to L.A."

My avvy changes from time to time; as of this writing, it's of Elsa and Anna, the titular sisters from the newest Disney movie Frozen.

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

American
Toucan
Toucan

31 Dec 2013, 3:00 pm

I'm a proud, patriotic American and therefore my screen name is American. Also, it's kind of cool that American was not taken already.

RedStar98
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Dec 2013, 3:19 pm

I have the same one as I do on a few sites. I have 'RedStar' as its usually associated with communism (which is my main interest and also my political standpoint) without being too obvious. '98' is there simply because its the year I was born. I like it quite a lot because its personal, has meaning and isn't too 'weird'. Its pronounced like it looks. I chose current avatar quickly as i only joined today, and will probably get something with meaning sometime soon.

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2013, 10:01 pm

I had a three names picked out but I thought Aprilviolets was the best one as Its one of my favourite perfumes and I love the colour purple.