Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2013, 9:43 pm

I changed my legal name like a couple years ago and I updated most of my stuff, but I never updated my PayPal. Why? At the time, I had not been using it often lately so didn't even think about it. Recently, though, I did send money through them, only to find in my surprise my old name was still being used! I'm like, WTF? I then look through the procedures for a name change and it's like an effing pain in the neck! You gotta scan these documents--of course, after 2 years you first gotta find the mother-effing things!--and of course pay the money to do so. What a pain! I feel like I'm being pushed around! Why would not, say, the fact the bank account that is on there is now in my new name not enough?

In my opinion, the reason it is not enough is because PayPal are effers. They like pushing the little people around. It's like that schoolyard bully, whom you defy, that keeps pushing you on your forehead. They hate it when people change their names, being part of the movement that everyone must be easily and completely identifiable, a movement of bullies, spies, and the NSA surveillance programs!

I'm just gonna say eff PayPal and tell everyone I know I'm boycotting the effers!

rapidroy
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2014, 12:33 am

Could you not just open another Pay Pal account and leave the other dormant?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2014, 12:38 am

rapidroy wrote:
Could you not just open another Pay Pal account and leave the other dormant?

Now THERE is an idea -- seconded!

accountinglad
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jan 2014, 9:32 am

create a new paypal with your new name

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

07 Jan 2014, 3:56 am

I'm not sure but I think PayPal requires Social Security number to open an account so creating a new account won't work if that's the case but I'm not entirely sure about it. I had a pain with PayPal after I moved. I changed my address for my credit cards with no problem but I had switched banks in the process of moving because my old one was local(new one is too) & PayPal restricted my account when I tried to add my new bank because my address didn't match up in some records they had even thou I had already changed my address with them without problem. I had to scan a copy of my lease to prove I lived at that address because they thought it could of been some kind of fraud & I also had to prove my identity by scanning my Social Security card & ID

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2014, 6:33 pm

Quote:
I'm not sure but I think PayPal requires Social Security number to open an account

I have 2 Paypal accounts and neither required a Social Security number.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Concept
Toucan
Toucan

07 Jan 2014, 9:03 pm

beneficii wrote:
I'm just gonna say eff PayPal and tell everyone I know I'm boycotting the effers!

I hear ye. It's a pain in the bum. I've got the same problem with my ISP.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

07 Jan 2014, 9:04 pm

I'm sorry you have had such a bad experience with them.

On a personal note, I've had no problems with PayPal. They're pretty excellent. I guess everyone's experience is different.......

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

08 Jan 2014, 1:57 am

Who_Am_I wrote:
Quote:
I'm not sure but I think PayPal requires Social Security number to open an account

I have 2 Paypal accounts and neither required a Social Security number.
Maybe they just require the card for verification purposes when their screwy fraud alert suspects their could potentially be a problem. Or maybe they started requiring the number after you created those accounts.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2014, 4:18 am

I think in most cases the registration/verification/payment processes are not that annoying. If their system detects anything that is even slightly unusual, then they may get very paranoid. In a way it's understandable because they can't risk fraudulent transactions getting through too easily. I feel safe that way though I can also understand the frustration of the OP.

I don't think I even have a Social Security number. Could it differ from country to country? I think my verification process was fairly simple.