Do you have a support worker to help you out weekly?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

kembleman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Jan 2014, 6:53 am

Currently a support worker sees me every week or so,how has it been for you if you have had support from someone before?Did you like the services?

Just asking because sometimes i feel like i can't go out at all on the days my support worker comes around and i have to say i cant go out because my heart just
races and i almost feel like im about to have a meltdown.Sometimes we will just go out somewhere to draw or sketch but i always wish i was at home when i do decide to go out.

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2014, 9:21 am

Not a support worker, but someone (an aide) to help me with living skills, social skills and going places...three times a week. I really like this so far.

Last edited by Lumi on 01 Jan 2014, 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2014, 10:22 am

a lot of people on wp have support staff or shoud have access to them but dont get it due their needs not fitting into a area of support neatly and not meeting enough of the strict criteria for support hours.

have been in twenty four hour support care for a decade;an LD institution,many unsuitable residential homes and currently in what is called a LD assessment and treatment hospital;its for people in the UK whose LD [US=ID] is severe enough for us to be sectioned under the mental capacity and mental health acts though some people arent that bad but get funding for it on an informal basis and can come and go as they please.
have always got two to one support and am going to be transitioning to a new secure place which is only for females with severe autism.

am currently getting used to the new staff team as it went wrong two weeks ago due to them not having enough training ,ended up being brought back to the hospital by ten police restrained in an ambulance after refusing to go back to that noisy hell hole.

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2014, 11:15 am

not yet i dont. my dad wants to get me one but theres the money problem again, where we dont know if canada will provide one.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2014, 12:32 pm

No, I have never had any such thing.

I had to look it up to see what a support worker actually does. Talk to you, doing chores and help you set up a budget? I have no need for help with any of that. I can do my chores and budget just fine, and I would never yap with someone whose job it was to yap with me.
Unless they can help me get a job (and I do mean a real job, not place me somewhere that is no more than a daycare for adults; I don't need looking after), I have no need of one.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Simmian7
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2014, 1:16 pm

right now my mum is kinda my support worker. she keeps me on track for certain things (from grooming to what to say to people)... now...i'm pretty much ok on my own, though sometimes i get into something and completely slack off. I'm officially HFA...but there are plenty of times i slip further down the scale and need help getting back up, so i'm gonna need an official support worker once she passes on. yet because I look like nothing is wrong with me and have a job...i prolly won't ever be qualified to really get one. :roll:

It's like someone's calling out to me. Writing it all down...it's like I'm calling back to them.
(quote from August Rush; but used as a reference to my writing)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
My ASD AQ score is 42
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
#DemandCartoonDiversity

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2014, 1:38 pm

I need one. I'm trying to find one, but the waiting lists are all years long and I'm not priority number one because, if I don't try to do anything with my life, I can take care of myself. But it's a full-time job and I have other talents I want to use.

It's just the frustrating in-between, where you're just disabled enough to need help, but not disabled enough that other people find it obvious that you do.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com