Is there a downside to being diagnosed?

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Herman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Jan 2014, 10:28 pm

I am in the process of trying to get my learning disorders formally diagnosed. The things I expect are multiple elements of Autism including Aspergers and ADD (not hyperactivity but more like narcolepsy). I am also very blatantly bipolar but will try to hide this if I can.

I have actually been trying to get assessed on and off for 10 years! but I think it may actually happen now and am wondering if there maybe some downsides.

Aspergers in particular is demonised by the media, a LOT lately. And some people may consider Autism means crazy/stupid. Would having these labels diminish my integrity and rights in anyway. For example in a court of law, if I am a defendant or witness?

How about working with dangerous equipment or in a position of care like a teacher? And lastly how about applying for visa's for countries such as the USA?

loner1984
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2014, 10:31 pm

Downside?, not really sure. i mean its not like getting a name of a diagnosis changes anything, other than the fact that you get an idea what is wrong with you. For me it was nice to have a name(s) put on my problems, instead of just having the unknown, and always being told by people that, you are lazy, why dont you try harder.

I imagine its a bit like eating some food. sure you dont need to know what it is, it tastes good anyway, but knowing what you are eating is kinda nice.

unless its guano instead of fruit paste.

Herman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Jan 2014, 10:39 pm

thanks for your reply, I think we are the same age.

My query was more about it going on my medical record. Can my "condition" be used against me in a court of law? Can it prevent me emigrating to a country like the USA/Australia etc.., can it prevent me from working with hazardous equipment, using a gun (for hunting etc) or teaching children and such...

ammmartin
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Jan 2014, 11:03 pm

I think that the only downside is the labels and stereotypes that goes with it, if perceptive neurotypicals notice your conditions indicative of autism or other similar conditions.

In the last part of applying for a passport, fortunately you don't need to use your diagnosis. As a matter of fact, I got my passport made several months back and nothing was even asked about my diagnosis.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2014, 11:51 pm

I saw someone on here say it caused them trouble with Child Protective Services.

Some have reported trouble health insurance, but in the USA the ACA should make that moot, now.

A serious crime (or maybe being sued aggressively, say in a nasty divorce) could presumably lead to a court order opening your medical records.

one-A-N
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2014, 1:01 am

Herman wrote:
Can my "condition" be used against me in a court of law? Can it prevent me emigrating to a country like the USA/Australia etc..

I do know that two resident (non-citizen) PhDs, marrried to each other, are being required to leave Australia because they have a child with "mild autism": http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2013/12/13/family-be-deported-because-autistic-son

A key sentence in that article is:
Quote:
Australia screens all migrants for medical conditions under migration law that is exempt from the Disability Discrimination Act.

In other words, the Australian government is allowed to discriminate against people with disabilities, including autism, when making decisions about granting permanent residency.

That said, as an adult you might be in a different position because they would not be taking into account expenses for autism in childhood, as they did for the child in the article.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2014, 1:39 am

ADHD and narcolepsy are two entirely separate conditions. Narcolepsy is a sleep disorder characterised by sudden involuntary episodes of falling asleep at random or triggered intervals throughout the day; it is considered more a medical disorder than a psychological one.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2014, 6:31 am

Herman wrote:
For example in a court of law, if I am a defendant or witness?

There have been cases (at least one in Norway and one in Sweden) where aspies have committed crimes that AS was attempted used as mitigating circumstances, but it was denied. I have no idea if it could influence it if you were witness.

On the issue of rights there was a case in Sweden not long ago where a man who had conducted trains for 30 or 40 years was dx'ed with AS and he temporarily lost his job as a result, despite not having any accidents.
Apparently there are countries where it would limit your chances of driving a car, but IDK which countries that holds true for.

Herman wrote:
How about working with dangerous equipment or in a position of care like a teacher? And lastly how about applying for visa's for countries such as the USA?

In the case of equipment or care, I think it could be wise to stay in the closet (that's always a good idea anyway). You don't have to reveal it to a would-be employer, you know.

IDK about USA, but there were three cases where families weren't allowed to stay/ move to respectively Canada and Australia because of their ASD-children. I'm not sure of their actual diagnosis, so it could mean severe, or it could be AS.
I think it would be naive to think it couldn't effect your chances of migration.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2014, 8:24 am

Herman wrote:
My query was more about it going on my medical record. Can my "condition" be used against me in a court of law? Can it prevent me emigrating to a country like the USA/Australia etc.., can it prevent me from working with hazardous equipment, using a gun (for hunting etc) or teaching children and such...

The short answer is MAYBE.

Right now, there is nothing in the law that says a diagnosis with X disorder means you lose your rights, but there is prejudice in the criminal justice system, in the courts, in government services, etc.

Forget what the ADA says they can't do....the law means nothing to someone who wants to find a way to work around it.

The debates we have here seems to come to the same conclusion. If you have need of services that requires a formal Dx to qualify, then the benefits outweigh the potential current and future risk of being "labeled" with your condition in an easily discoverable way. If you don't need services, the Dx makes something known you may want to keep private for now.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2014, 8:30 am

I've been diagnosed ever since I was 8, and I've still been told by people (who know I have it) that I need to ''get off my bum'' just because I feel part-time work is better than full-time for me. Things might change in a few years down the line, but at the moment I'm having too much stress, depression and anxiety, and it does make facing work very hard. Having 3 or 4 days off a week does me a lot of good.