Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

FallingDownMan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Jan 2014, 6:49 pm

I have to avoid humor online, I am discovering, as people tend to misunderstand it as being snide and rude. Otherwise I do better online because I have time to find the words I want to say, and to sort them out into something coherent.

When the conversation gets more intimate, I need to be in person so that I can attempt to read the subtle stuff. When I say intimate, I am referring to talking friend to friend vs co-worker or stranger.

Ashariel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2014, 12:55 pm

I'm intensely solitary and don't want friends IRL, so I much prefer online interactions!

EchoNOLA
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Jan 2014, 2:59 pm

Like some people have said, I can more clearly express my thoughts online. In an actual conversation I tend to sound a little less... put together and I get much more scatter-brained. However, I enjoy IRL socializing when I get the chance... I just have to be around people who are little more goofy than most because I tend to mask my awkwardness with playfulness which I've noticed can be a turn-off to some people. They end up looking at me like I'm on crack. I try to just shrug and keep going. I have fun playing around being goofy.

So back to the original point... I seem less "air-headed" and flaky online.

I've surprised many an IRL friend by randomly getting into a serious conversation after they've known me for a while and they say "Oh wow, I had no idea you were smart."